Jaaaaaag Owners

Here are a few of my XJ from last year

ocuk3.jpg

ocuk2c.jpg

ocukb.jpg

That's damn nice! I don't normally like pre XF Jags, with the exception of a couple. But that is rather classy! Would be interested to see more of the interior

It launched with the 3.0 petrol as base spec but that got withdrew arosund tye time the diesel moved from the Lion 2.7 to the 3.0,so 3.0 will be the diesel, S is the more powerful 276bhp version.

3.0 petrol is returning in the form of the new 335 bhp supercharged version that's available in AWD in some LHD markets.

Mine is a D :)

Thanks chaps :) One day... one day I'll be turned I'm sure! (Especially if I have a massive commute!)

What's everyone's thoughts on the X type? Been looking at a Mondeo ST220 for a while but have been condsidering an X Type as well. I've been looking at the manual as I would like to avoid the autobox's problems.

This caught my eye. Seems like a lot of car for the money. Anything to look out for? Are these a credible alternative to a Mondeo ST220?

Last edited:
£2k!?! I didn't realise they were so cheap!

I thought the general consensus on here, was that if you want one, avoid the 2.0L engine and go for the 3, which you're doing. Other than that, I don't know an awful lot about them. Just shocked at the price!

I don't know an awful lot about them. Just shocked at the price!

Same here, hopefully somebody here has some experience of X-Types. I would particularly like to hear of any experiences with the
2.2d Sport Premium as they look a bit of a bargain, but as they say looks can be deceiving.

This was My Baby until January this year (traded it for a BMW :eek:)

I loved it but it was just too thirsty and a pain to park in multistory car parks as it is so big

XFR with all the trimmings :D
Blindspot monitor
440W BW audio
heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel
ivory leather

Front3_1280 by special_xk, on Flickr

Whats not to like about the XF, nothing really but if I was to own one I would be happier still once the chrome
work around the windows was refinished in black, gloss probably, very nice looking car.

The XJR is back :D

Jaguar-XJR_2014_photo_01.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27355

With a 5.0-litre supercharged V8 engine delivering 550PS and bespoke chassis and aerodynamic developments, the Jaguar XJR is the most focused, agile and responsive XJ ever made. It delivers supercar performance and assertive looks with the highest levels of luxury.

:eek: how did I not know about this! Love it! Guess it's more of a Whitley thing! I'm sure it'll be a little quicker than the 2.0l turbo XJ I've been driving!

Had a question on the car I linked earlier. It says standard equipment on the SE includes rear parking sensors but I don't see the sensor circles on the rear of the car? Does it have it or not? :confused:

£2k!?! I didn't realise they were so cheap!

I thought the general consensus on here, was that if you want one, avoid the 2.0L engine and go for the 3, which you're doing. Other than that, I don't know an awful lot about them. Just shocked at the price!

Indeed! :D

X-Types are cheap because no-one wants a big thirsty car with petrol and diesel going up and up. There's also the snob thing of its not a 'real' jag, it's just a Mondeo in disguise. They also got discounted a lot and the end of life as JLR wanted to shift the metal before retooling Halewood for land rovers.

I drive an X-Type Estate and am really struggling wondering what I'll replace it with when it dies or a bill larger than its value comes up. I like the 4 wheel drive, it's a really comfortable motorway cruiser and loads of space. They're a lot of car for the money. Downsides are it is thirsty compared to the equivalent germans and 4WD versions are heavy on the tyres.

To the OP I would say take a test drive, you'll either like it or not. If you go for it, probably best avoiding franchised Jag dealers for servicing, there's nothing complicated about it - any competent independent will be able to sort it out.

As per the wall of text included below, I'm starting to consider a 4.2L n/a XJ, but it's a little tricky finding one with the right options. Thoughts, opinions, abuse etc welcome. Also does anyone have any experience with Jag warranties and if they're likely to be worth it? Cheers

So having owned my Golf for nearly a year now I'm getting to a stage where it might be reasonable to upgrade to a Jaaaag. The trouble at the moment seems to be finding the right one.

Budget is up to around £8k and I'm aiming for cars around the 2005 era. 2005 because I hear about improved reliability from this year, and VED starts totting up from 2006 - and while a couple of hundred pounds a year extra isn't going to break the bank, it's still annoying :p

The first decision is easy. S-type vs XJ. S-type has marmite looks (personally it's starting to grow on me) but at the end of the day while comfortable and refined, it's just not an XJ. Options are not exactly sparse but the XJs are much more generously kitted out as standard and I like my options. So, XJ it is.

The second decision is also easy. It's going to have to be the 4.2L non-supercharged V8. Substantially cheaper to run than the supercharged version, with all the simplicity of a modern(ish) n/a V8. Decent brakes and tyres will be cheaper, as will purchase price, and I'm slowly working my way up the power stakes - I'd like to leave something in reserve for a future upgrade!
The other engines don't lack poke but I've had a V6 now - and besides, it looks like it barely costs less to run than the V8.

My options list is probably what I'm going to have to compromise on. There are four main trim levels of X350 XJ: Sport, Sport Premium, SE/Executive and Sovereign. There's also XJR and Super, both supercharged V8s.
Sport has practically no* options as standard. No-one's going to buy a Sport and then kit loads of options to it - as far as I can tell it's there to look good and be cheap. The other trim levels are there if you actually want any options :o
*well it has the basics, but who buys these cars for the basics?
Sport Premium is also pretty sparse. Key kit includes Xenons, heated front windscreen, front park assist and folding wingmirrors but it misses out on a lot of the good stuff.
SE has the basics covered. The above (minus the Xenons) but also an uprated sound system, front cupholders - is this right, you don't get cupholders in the Sport Premium trim? Maybe it's just an upgrade to twin cupholders! :eek: - and heated seats. Notable by their absence are the Nav and the Xenons.
Sovereign - this is more like it. In addition to the SE you get the Xenons, the Nav - and also a rear electric sunblind, which is (surely) a gimmick.

Frustratingly, the Super spec has two options I wanted in my next car - adaptive cruise control and heated steering wheel. :(

So to conclude, my list of options, most of which are just wants rather than mandatory, is as follows:
Adaptive cruise control
Alpine Premium Sound System
Folding wingmirrors
Front cupholders (still not sure about quite what this means!)
Heated front windscreen*
Heated seats*
Heated steering wheel
Nav*
Park assist
Xenons*

*Mandatory

So anyway, to drag this thread back on topic. It seems to me that I need to find me a nice SE or Sovereign trim XJ, preferably (or definitely for SE) with a couple of choice optional extras.

I welcome any thoughts on the above ramblings and anyone who seeks out a car fitting my basic requirements with a heated steering wheel and adaptive cruise control gets a packet of Smarties ;)

What's everyone's thoughts on the X type? Been looking at a Mondeo ST220 for a while but have been condsidering an X Type as well. I've been looking at the manual as I would like to avoid the autobox's problems.

This caught my eye. Seems like a lot of car for the money. Anything to look out for? Are these a credible alternative to a Mondeo ST220?

Going to view this car tomorrow. Any common problems on the X type to look out for? I know about the transfer box and I've avoided the auto cause the autos seem to be a bit rubbish.

X-Types are cheap because no-one wants a big thirsty car with petrol and diesel going up and up. There's also the snob thing of its not a 'real' jag, it's just a Mondeo in disguise. They also got discounted a lot and the end of life as JLR wanted to shift the metal before retooling Halewood for land rovers.

I drive an X-Type Estate and am really struggling wondering what I'll replace it with when it dies or a bill larger than its value comes up. I like the 4 wheel drive, it's a really comfortable motorway cruiser and loads of space. They're a lot of car for the money. Downsides are it is thirsty compared to the equivalent germans and 4WD versions are heavy on the tyres.

To the OP I would say take a test drive, you'll either like it or not. If you go for it, probably best avoiding franchised Jag dealers for servicing, there's nothing complicated about it - any competent independent will be able to sort it out.

How are the running costs? Very similiar to a Mondeo or a step up from one but not quite with the level of Audis, Mercs and BMWs? Have you got any examples of bills you've had to pay?

Last edited:
Going to view this car tomorrow. Any common problems on the X type to look out for? I know about the transfer box and I've avoided the auto cause the autos seem to be a bit rubbish.

How are the running costs? Very similiar to a Mondeo or a step up from one but not quite with the level of Audis, Mercs and BMWs? Have you got any examples of bills you've had to pay?

Last 2 annual service+MOT from the independent I use were £510.86 and £286.80. The bigger one included spark plugs, a tyre and some work to replace the accelerator pedal (the plastic bit from the floor snapped when the weather got hugely cold). Franchised dealer had a much higher labour charge which was one reason I switched - parts etc pretty much the same prices.

No bills outside the service except when I've had tyre issues (scuffed one on a kerb and picked up a nail).

Mine's a 2.5L petrol. Most of my mileage is short trips so I get about 200 miles per 50-55 litre fill up. When it gets a long motorway run I get more like 350 miles per trip.

Jag forums better for common faults. Mine's been faultless apart from one (common) annoyance with the estate tailgate glass - it has a habit of popping open when you start the engine. The 'fix' is to lock the doors before you turn the key. It's caused by water getting into the switch. I haven't bothered having the unit replaced as I mostly remember the quick fix.

Its my 2nd X-Type. I switched from a Saloon to the estate as we needed more load capacity for push-chair and the other stuff you need with children.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom