Jaguar XE - Over-hyped or just me?

Soldato
So my Tesla S100D was in for some work and as they don't provide insurance on their Tesla courtesy cars any more and I didn't want to pay for insurance I was given an enterprise rental Jaguar XE 2.0d R-Sport.

Firstly, as any rental car it was battered with alloys half disintegrated etc..

But even worse was the car itself, I've never driven a car so bad. Feels horrible to drive, the interior is tacky and cramped (no leg room in the back and in the drivers seat I touch the roof being only 6ft), the infotainment is the worst I've ever used from a 'premium' or better brand, the steering while has more buttons than the space shuttle and feels weird to hold, the kit is poor for a higher end trim level especially.. Not even auto-hold... The only positive I can muster is the exterior shape looks pretty nice..

Now I'm lucky to have a great car now and had a 640d before, but I used to have a 65 plate C220D with AMG trim back and PP (the jag is 16 plate) and that was miles better than this Jaguar which it's meant to compete with.

Looking online, it has amazing reviews, how? Is it just me that hates it?

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Completely with you, the XE is horrible. JLR products, unfortunately almost universally rubbish in the past few years :(

Soldato
I drove an S on track and quite liked the way it went about things considering the type of car it was - good engine and felt pretty composed.

However I tend to agree the interior wasn't really up to an equivalent standard of the Germans (though in all honesty the C class and 3 series are hardly standouts) and the infotainment feels really unnatural to use

Man of Honour
A year ago I had an XF Portfolio for 10 days as a hire car in which I covered some 2500 miles.

The engine and gearbox were excellent. The rest of the car was really sub par and felt like a top end Kia rival and not a credible 5 Series or E Class rival. The worst thing was the awful looking instrument cluster that felt like something out of a Toyota and the infotainment system that felt like the Dynavin Chinese Ebay unit in my E39 and quite literally ran the same satnav software as said Dynavin unit!

Permabanned
I think it's just you, the XE has had favourable reviews since it came out.

An abused rental car is not the best example to base an opinion on.

I had an 16 plate XF Portfolio for a while and liked it apart from the poor Xenon headlights and the
the annoying pop up big aloominum volume knob gearshift thingy that car designers got a hard-on about and everyone else hated .

Man of Honour
I read some XF reviews once I handed mine back and it was like we were reading about another car. I cannot understand where the praise came from.

Soldato
They are certainly competitive in driving dynamics, but that’s just too niche and something you grow into through ownership. Showroom appeal and perceived quality simply puts people off getting that far.

19MY the infotainment is the Pro system as standard with the bigger 10” screen (no hard buttons on the side). But no V6 petrol anymore :(

Man of Honour
The problem with a focus on driving dynamics is who is the market for that?

Driving dynamics are important to people buying cars in this segment but they are usually not the number 1 requirement. It's just something the car has to do well, amongst other things. I don't want the best handling car in the universe, I just want something that handles well. Once it handles well, I care more about other things. I suspect many other buyers of these sort of cars are similar.

Man of Honour
Firstly, as any rental car it was battered with alloys half disintegrated etc..

Yeah rental/hire often aren't a great start to any experience and can set the tone - I got some flack on here of my experience of a rental BMW awhile back since that got some experience of a nearly new one and found the impression a lot different.

That said things like cramped leg room doesn't really change in that regard.

Associate
Just got rid of my XFR after 3 years of ownership, great engine but the build quality is terrible. Seals that don't fit properly and were perishing already, a windscreen that was rapidly delaminating, continual errors about something popping up on the dash, rattles from both front doors and an infotainment system that felt like it was designed over 20 years ago. Add to that two cracked alloys and a chain of dealers that are as good as useless.
As much as I wanted to like Jag ownership it's really nice to back in a BMW.

Soldato
The XE and to some extent the XF are very spec dependant, the XE Portfolio I had with the 2.0 Petrol was not a bad place to be, but the stock satnav is downright awful. The XFS I now own is a compeltly different kettle of fish, but then it has a decent base spec and mine has had the option list dropped on it, including the InTouch Control Pro and Digital dash which make a huge amount of difference to the interior. To be fair to the XE it did drive very well, but I'd be looking at a 50K car to spec it with what I'd want, and the XF is noticeably better for similar money

Back
Top Bottom