James Gunn... *****

Soldato
So he's been fired by Disney from Guardians 3 for tweets he made years ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44906019

Normally I'd think this is just over reacting snow flakes with an axe to grind to make some faux outrage

But looking at this vid, his tweets aren't exactly edgy or provocative, they're just awkward weird and in no way humorous

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't really see where you'd find the humour in most of what he's tweeted ?

So maybe in this instance Disney is justified in their distancing themselves from him and RIP to his career now

Soldato
It's 100% weird and creepy but it looks like he's distanced himself from those kinds of jokes over the years. Imagine if everyone was judged based on the edgy **** they said as a teenager for example. Judge them based on who they are now rather than what they said 10 years ago.

This sort of thing is why Twitter is cancer and anyone remotely famous should be very careful about what they say on it.

Caporegime
it seems to be some alt right types adopting SJW tactics and using an excuse to get someone fired because they said something bad, have the "wrong" opinion etc.. Disney was made aware of the tweets, it is the publicity/shaming/campaigning etc.. that caused the firing

Create enough publicity about a sensitive issue and the standard response for a company is to fire the individual concerned in order to make the negative publicity go away

for example:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ed-software-engineer-women-tech-a7885541.html

over a message posted on a google internal forum that they were well aware of, only after negative publicity did they decide he's broken some rules and sack him

Soldato
That newspaper should be sued imo.

Someone actually spent time digging through his Twitter feed and found these... Then decided to have their editor publish the findings...
All the time I guarantee they knew exactly what would happen.

People are horrible twonks sometimes, should leave things alone.

Don
Most of it looks like puerile nonsense, though there is a bit of a disturbing paedo thread through a lot of it. Fare enough if he was a teenager, but the guy is in his early 50s, so even 10 years ago he should have known better/mature.

Or it could be the self knowing comments, like some of the stuff Savile would come out with.

Soldato
OP
He said the word rape in a "joke" on the internet, that's enough in its own right for Disney to poop him out.

Did you even bother watching the vid ? His tweets go beyond a rape joke

It's 100% weird and creepy but it looks like he's distanced himself from those kinds of jokes over the years. Imagine if everyone was judged based on the edgy **** they said as a teenager for example. Judge them based on who they are now rather than what they said 10 years ago.

I disagree, change over time is merely becoming aware of your negative personality traits and trying to minimise their impact on others, you still have those traits you're just more restrained in them being public

though there is a bit of a disturbing paedo thread through a lot of it.

That's what I was getting, borderline for sure, if it's some kind of joke it's certainly creepy funny rather than funny haha

Caporegime
Disney were already aware of the tweets before they hired him. He apologized for them a few years back, now they've resurfaced and this firing seems more like a kneejerk reaction.

Man of Honour
It's kind of weird that Disney fire him now when his social media antics were originally reported in the press before they employed him for GoG 1...

Caporegime
Very strange tweets, not funny in the slightest, but also a bit of an overreaction. Then again, I'm sure Disney know petty stuff like this could ruin things for them these days...

Soldato
OP
Disney were already aware of the tweets before they hired him. He apologized for them a few years back, now they've resurfaced and this firing seems more like a kneejerk reaction.

This I wasn't aware of, seems poor form on Disney really if they were happy to have him despite this for 2 Guardians films, I wonder if they didn't like the direction he was taking Guardians 3 and this is just an excuse to get rid of him ?

Back
Top Bottom