James Gunn... *****

Man of Honour
I don’t see what enjoyment people get out of trying to ruin someone’s career by going through twitter posts from 10 years ago. It is just sad.

He didn’t rape anyone, touch any kids, he made a few crude jokes on twitter. What is the world coming to.

Soldato
I don’t see what enjoyment people get out of trying to ruin someone’s career by going through twitter posts from 10 years ago. It is just sad.

He didn’t rape anyone, touch any kids, he made a few crude jokes on twitter. What is the world coming to.

I guess they are think he's semi subconsciously acting out his fantasies in a virtual sense.

Caporegime

It's not about enjoyment, it's political. Though in this case it seems to be alt right types dragging up the stuff to be "offended" about.

Part of me wants to judge him on who he is now as a person BUT those tweets arent that long ago, 6-8 years? and they make my skin crawl. Hollywood is a weird place and its crumbling now the whole Weinstein thing has happened.

Soldato
Ummmm, this was right wing conservatives doing..

Or are they SJWs as well?

Unfortunately these sort of tactics are being employed by quite a lot of people now having been legitimatised by some people who should know better.

For the same reasons that the whole 'punch a nazi' meme is idiotic because a response will be to justify violence in the minds of others based on their particular thoughts of others political persuasions....

So it's OK to punch a 'nazi'? Well in that case I think it's OK to kick a 'communist'!

It looks that around the time a lot of these tweets were being made the director was working or or promoting a black comedy 'Super' which shares a lot of themes with the films Kick *** 1 and 2. I. E jokes about rape and violence galore.

Can't say that Disney getting all wound up now about what Gunn was doing nearly a decade ago really impresses me all that much. They knew who they were hiring years ago and he's done some pretty good work for them since.

But then since Disney ruined the Star Wars franchise by allowing identity politics to dominate its latest iterations I have had a bit of a self imposed rule to try and avoid providing any further money to this corporation which itself has a far from a unblemished past.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
he made a few crude jokes on twitter. What is the world coming to.

Go read his tweets, they go beyond being crude jokes

I've got a dark sense of humour (or at least I thought I did) and I just don't see anything remotely funny about retweeting a guy talking about ******* little boys, or tweeting about making a film where a tree gives a child a blowjob, or a remake of footloose where instead of dancing it's got a kid masturbating

There's nothing provocative, edgy or funny about any of that but there's a hell of a lot of pedo in it

Tweets a decade ago when he was in his 40's, maybe he should be cut some slack if he was a kid but he was a full grown adult

Soldato
I found a screen grab of about 20 tweets that to be honest were pretty tame. I can't believe they fired him over those? :confused:

And, so the people that brought this up were the ones who pushed the ridiculous story about Hillary Clinton running a paedophile ring in a pizza restaurant..

Disney need to grow a pair of balls and say "look, it's not great, but it was 10 years ago so let's forget about it". Sheesh.

Caporegime
Tweets a decade ago when he was in his 40's, maybe he should be cut some slack if he was a kid but he was a full grown adult

That's true, the whole "it was a decade ago" excuse works better if the subject is someone in his/her 20s and the tweets were from when they were a teen.

Soldato
Let's put this in context a Hollywood director who around the time he was filming/ promoting a 'dark' comedy made some rather unfunny comments about rape /paedophilia........

In a industry long been known to have actual problems with actual rape and actual paedophilia. Maybe keep the outrage and pitch forks for thoose more deserving?

Soldato
Tweets were public knowledge six years ago prior to gotg1 and he was apologising back then for them

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-395796

What craven behaviour Disney have shown, here utterly contemptible.

Edit: seems he was apologising for another unrelated set of comments on a blog post. Sure dinaey would have known about the twitter stuff as well from their dull diligence checks at the time however.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm torn on this. I find the tweets quite crass, i don't buy the "it was 10 years ago" argument due to his age. Having said that it isn't really worth stripping him of a job, he doesn't seem to have done anything similar recently. A genuine apology and a bit of humble pie would suffice in normal circumstances.

However, Disney are arguably the biggest kid focussed media company in existence with a bit of a whiter than white approach, and the comments were about paedophilia and rape in a very tricky climate. They did the right thing for them, if it had been another publisher he might have got away with it.

Back
Top Bottom