James Gunn... *****

Commissario
I can't believe there were 10k tweets to be honest...
Chances are 9,990 of them were just normal jokes/quick comments but he may have deleted the lot of them as it's faster than trying to find what might cause offence now.

People compare him to Rosanne Barr, but miss the point that:
A: He was a writer doing quite dark humour at the time (you just have to look at some of his films from the time).
B: They were ten years ago and it appears his humour has changed/he is not like that in real life.

I tend to give people a bit of leeway for things they've said 10 years ago if they seem to have changed since, especially if it was effectively part of their professional role/persona at the time (edgy/dark/poor taste humour when you're writing things like Super or Troma films).

Soldato
Bit behind on this one.

Never watched any of the GOTG movies, nor any MCU movies (unless I've forgotten one) so not really got any skin in the game. Nonetheless, having seen a screenshot of the 'shocking' jokes, I can't really see what the fuss is about.

Utterly ridiculous furore.

Soldato
I applaud the cast members coming out in their support of Gunn, but I dont think Disney can or will change their mind with this.

In many ways their hand has been forced, and I am sure that it isnt a decision that they wanted to make, however commercially and for the sake of their squeeky clean brand they HAD to make it.

Is redemption possible? In most situations absolutely yes, however if you are in the public eye this stuff can come back to haunt you years down the line.

It seems that its impossible to make a 'mistake' these days without having to walk the plank for it either immediately or some time later in the near or distant future.

Soldato
Well what she wrote was pure racism. Comparing a black woman to a monkey.

James Gunn wrote some poor taste jokes.
Even with shock humor. I am really struggling to define almost any of them as jokes. They're not funny for one and they aren't comparing two subjects satarically or really using anti-humour.
The repetition of the subject matter makes then feel almost like actual statements.

Whether that's my lack of a funny bone, his terrible ability as a comedian or possibly the fact he's a paedo. It seems insane to me that you would publicly post these tweets.

Soldato
Even with shock humor. I am really struggling to define almost any of them as jokes. They're not funny for one and they aren't comparing two subjects satarically or really using anti-humour.
The repetition of the subject matter makes then feel almost like actual statements.

Whether that's my lack of a funny bone, his terrible ability as a comedian or possibly the fact he's a paedo. It seems insane to me that you would publicly post these tweets.

Is he? Do you have any proof?

Soldato
Is he? Do you have any proof?
Well no, hence the word possibly based on his very unfunny unjokey descriptions of paedophilia. If for instance someone kept saying they were going to kill themselves, I might consider assuming they were depressed

Man of Honour
Well what she wrote was pure racism. Comparing a black woman to a monkey.

James Gunn wrote some poor taste jokes.

Applying the same standards to each, either both were poor taste jokes or hers was pure racism and his was pure paedophilia.

Why apply such radically different standards to each one? Is it just simply partisan politics?

Also, why apply such radically different standards depending on "race"? Roseanne's words didn't directly make the comparison you claim, but plenty of people directly made the comparison you claim with, for example, George Bush. Is it his sex or his "race" that makes him a legitimate target? And why?

Back
Top Bottom