1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

January Transfer Window 2019/20

Discussion in 'The Football Stadium' started by ThestigGT999, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Robbo

Capo Crimine

Yeah exactly. :p

To be fair I remember Ighalo playing against us and he looked good, then just disappeared off to China.

I didn't expect us to get a striker in so he's worth a go IMO. Turned down Spurs as well :p

2. BaZ87

Don

He had a very good first season in the PL but then fell off a cliff in the 2nd season. Iirc Watford turned down combined bids of over £60m for him and Deeney after the first season.

3. BaZ87

Don

If Greenwood is seriously considered as a genuine first team player and replaced Lukaku, as you've claimed then you're not nearly as short as you're making out. Martial, Greenwood, James, Lingard, Mata + Pereira and even Fernandes could play there.

How many front 3 options do Liverpool have in comparison? We started the season with our front 3 plus Origi and Shaqiri and then Ox if needed.

Now you could argue that Lingard and Pereira are rubbish and that Mata is old and that would be a perfectly acceptable arguement if you were signing somebody notable better than Igahlo but you're not. You're signing Ighlo because Greenwood isn't nearly ready to be relied upon and Martial's only a game or two away from picking up another muscle injury.

4. Shamikebab

Caporegime

Lingard is not a serious option in any of those positions, he's played 99% of his games at 10. Pereira has played maybe 3. Mata doesn't have the legs to play two games a week any more. All these players are playing elsewhere, that's not backup dude. We've already lost several players to injury due to lack of rotation, it's clear to everyone but you that we need more cover.

5. BaZ87

Don

As I said, if you were signing somebody better than Ighalo then the arguement about Lingard and Mata would make sense. Whether they're ideally suited to play there or simply not quite good enough, you could make do with them as options 5 for 3 positions, plus Pereira and Fernandes and even Chong and Gomes if pushed. You've signed an out and out centre forward though, that's not that great. I don't think it's entirely down to Greenwood not being 100% ready though, Martial's fitness record was probably just as much of a concern.

6. toshj

Mobster

Held on to Watkins, Benrahma and Mbeumo, and bought in Shandon Baptiste among others.

See you boys in the Prem in 6 months' time :D

7. Martini1991

Caporegime

Baptiste is a good signing.
    I'd have taken him at Boro in a heart beat.

8. Andybtsn

Don

Is Ravel Morrison still classed as a prospect? Just another team trying to find the talent..

9. Shamikebab

Caporegime

He's 26, I'm fairly sure he's past young talent. Such a waste of potential.

10. Kenai

Capodecina

They're trying desperately to cut the wage bill and we have way too many defenders on the books.

We really need to start losing some more players permanently. Yoshida will be out of contract and hopefully we'll get shot of Hoedt too.

As we stand now we've got 2 LB, 4 CB, 2 RB. That should see us through the season.

The last few years have been dreadful for us in transfers - we've gone from unearthing gems like Mane for relative pittance to paying over the odds for donkeys like Carillo on massive wages that we struggle to send out on loan.

11. Martini1991

Caporegime

I thought Morrison might have worked out at Sheffield, perhaps turned it around.
    He's a panic transfer after we crocked Roberts

12. Robert

Capodecina

lingard can’t be compared to ighalo and mata has never had pace. Given many other teams were after a similar sort of backup striker I really fail to see what people are on about.

It seems sensible.

13. alex h

Mobster

I'm a united fan and let's be honest here do you really believe that is the level of player United should be after or any of the top sides we sold lukaku didnt replace him then run Rashford into the ground so should have been planning to bring a striker in but we end up scratching around on last day its a joke

14. Shamikebab

Caporegime

Can't say I've watched much of him, but Barca apparently tried to sign Ighalo 12 months ago and he rejected them.

15. Kill_Phil

Wise Guy

One name - paulinho

16. Robert

Capodecina

I think a lot of people are missing the point of why we have signed w striker on a 6 month loan deal.

17. BaZ87

Don

If you read back through my posts, I wasn't questioning whether Utd should or shouldn't have signed him. I was discussing the reason why Utd have signed him.

As for comparing him with Lingard and Mata, it's starting to sound like Ighalo has become peak Ronaldo overnight. He scored 1 League goal in his final season in the PL, I'd say that's comparable to Lingard. He was the joint 20th top scorer in China last season, he's a very average player but Utd have signed him (particularly him because of his links to Ole's agent) because you're an injury to Martial away from being ****ed.

18. alex h

Mobster

I understand that he's better than nobody but we wouldnt have been at this point if wed planned properly

19. alex h

Mobster

Exactly this

20. Robert

Capodecina

A) Went for Haaland and it didn’t work out probably due to agent fees.
    B) Most clubs don’t want to sell in January thus not sure what you want to do?
    C) As above, any fallback targets would probably not be available.
    D) Any club with a backup 9 wont want to sell for precisely that reason, they’re a backup and can be a &@&f to get (hence Mourinhos recent comments)
    E) Baz, love your Ronaldo comment - now who’s twisting things slightly? He’s a body who will probably get a handful of goals and get us to the summer. That’s it.