Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2017, Suzuka - Race 16/20

Rate the 2017 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
When merc are dialled in they are fastest. First 1/3 or so of the season Ferrari were much faster in the race. Merc have an edge in quality though, in part helped by Hamilton. Mercedes also have strategy consistency.

Soldato
Palmer gone. Sainz to take his place.

Renault will have belatedly caved to his requirements for a golden parachute. Fair play to him for sticking it out for as long as he did. Did we see the best of him? Dunno. Hulk is reputedly very quick though.

Odd that Gasly is turning down the chance of the super formula title for a drive in the US GP.

Soldato
Palmer doesn't need a parachute though, Daddy's minted.

That's not quite the point tho, is it?

Renault messed him about for at least the last 12 months. He's got the right to play hardball as per the terms of the contract. This time last year it they were playing Palmer and Magnussen off having signed Hulk, until Magnussen told them to do one and went to Haas which worked out pretty well all considered.

Soldato
That's not quite the point tho, is it?

Renault messed him about for at least the last 12 months. He's got the right to play hardball as per the terms of the contract. This time last year it they were playing Palmer and Magnussen off having signed Hulk, until Magnussen told them to do one and went to Haas which worked out pretty well all considered.

The point I was making is that, as he doesn't need the money, I don't quite understand why he's going.

Of course Renault want shot of him so they can slot Sainz in but he's obviously got a contract. Usually drivers can be bought off but, as he doesn't need the money, he'd have been far better off sticking with it in the hope of doing well in the remaining races and raising his stock for whatever he chooses to try next.

I guess he's been offered enough money to outweigh any perceived advantage from racing to the end of the season.

Either way, good riddance. As I've said before, I think he was actually lucky with his reliability issues as they masked his general hopelessness. He's crashed or otherwise screwed up in half the races this year, failed to out-qualify Hulkenberg even once and scored one whole point.

Soldato
Daddies money ≄ his money. If it's the figure I've seen banded about it'll help grease the wheels for something next year.

Yeah, he generally underperformed, and out of the car I don't find his attitude endearing. He was in GP2 for 4 years, so he was never likely to be the next Hamilton. That said he scored 8 points in Singapore, not three weeks ago. Ironically that probably did him out of the drive for the rest of the season through increased prize money enabling them to meet his exit requirements.

Back
Top Bottom