Japanese or German?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
What I find interesting is that the Germans are so focused on producing rwd saloons. Just imagine that the market died for them, what would they be left with? Excluding those, they have some massive 4wds (but then doesn't everyone), expensive Porsches and a bunch of VW hatchbacks, which are no better or worse than anyone else.

In comparison, the Japanese DO make big saloons. Go to Japan if you want to see the rest that are available. We only get a small percentage of them here.
Where are the German equivalents of the RX7, MX5, MR2, oddities like some of the cross over vehicles, the variety of micro cars (which unlike the SMART actually make money) etc. The Japanese have a massive variety of cars that the Germans simply can't match.
One day, the Germans really are going to catch a cold when either people go off saloons (everything is fashion led, including saloons), or stop being such a bunch of brand snobs.

Soldato
Christ Merlin you've opened a can here :p

I'd say German motors are generally bigger engined RWD torque monsters, whereas generally Jap motors are milked smaller engine jobs.

But of course JDM y0 4tw :p :D

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
What I find interesting is that the Germans are so focused on producing rwd saloons. Just imagine that the market died for them, what would they be left with? Excluding those, they have some massive 4wds (but then doesn't everyone), expensive Porsches and a bunch of VW hatchbacks, which are no better or worse than anyone else.

I don't think Audi are focused on making RWD saloons. Or VW for that matter or does german just mean BMW? I won't include mercedes as they are all plastic fantastic GM inspired yank tat based cars these days :eek:

Caporegime
German all the way.

Performance? I cannnot think of anything in the respective classes that I'd rather have than an e46 M3 CSL, or e39 / e60 M5.

Luxury? Hate the looks of both Lexus and the BMW 7 (the new one!) but its the BMW I'd rather ride in.

Bikes, Japanese.

Trucks, German again. Although the Swedes make a better HGV than anybody else imo.

I've always looked on Jap cars as "Wannabies", right or wrong, thats my perception of them.

TripleT said:
Mmm I'd say the Germans make the better cars... But the Japanese are better value for money :)
You get what you pay for. ;)

Man of Honour
Can't answer I'm afraid. For some things, Japan is just the best at it and it's unlikely anyone else will over come close. For other things, Germany are just the best at it and its unlikely anyone else will ever come close.

Oh, yea, and then theres VW :p

Associate
My last car was a Honda Accord and my present is a VW Passatt.
I must say there is not really a lot between them, the honda had more gadgets, both have nice rides, the honda was a 2.2 SOHC and the VW is a 1.9tdi, I would say not a lot in it speed wise.
But overall I think it is fairly even between the two countries.
The Japs are certainly more reliable without doubt, never had a thing go wrong with the Honda, VWs are well know to have MAF problems.
My personal choice would still be german though, had an Imprezza aswell when they where first imported over here, sure they are fast, but the interior was rubbish and the ride wasn't really up to much.
My next car is gonna be an Audi A4 TDI 130SE when I have enough money.

Back
Top Bottom