• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

JayZ review of the 5700XT Red Devil, don't OC, Undervolt.

Caporegime
Interesting 5700XT Red Devil review from JayZ2Cents, don't overclock it, undervolt the card, that will get you better performance.

Performance is give and take RTX 2070 Super, he agrees with AMD's claim to think of this first Navi as a disrupter like Ryzen 1000 with later versions developing and growing from there.

Good card, for the first time in too long time from AMD GPU's, now i'm interested.

Caporegime
OP
It seems a good 10+fps off the 2070S sometimes, now if 1+1 = 10 then yea it's pretty much 2070 super.

Hitman:
5700XT 150 FPS
2070 Super 150 FPS (0%)

Metro LL:
5700XT 181 FPS
2070 Super 200 FPS (+10%)

Ghost Recon Wildlands:
5700XT 104 FPS
2070 Super 110 FPS (+6%)

ROTTR:
5700XT 141 FPS
2070 Super 155 FPS (+10%)

SOTTR:
5700XT 119 FPS
2070 Super 119 FPS (0%)

FC5:
5700XT 126 FPS
2070 Super 132 FPS (+5%)

You're right... Doesn't match up with what he actually said does it?

Still, 0 to 10% to a card where the 'cheapest one' is £75 more expensive, i think to get equivalent AIB range you're looking at £100+ more expensive.

Caporegime
OP
Throw in some titles that Favour AMD and that would look on par. Where is BF5 for instance, FH4 and other big games where the 5700xt has the edge. Pretty much all those games are Nvidia sponsored titles.
Or Forza Horizon 4 where the 5700XT matches the 2080TI, where is that?

These arguments are stupid, please don't :)

Yawn.

And when you're already over 100fps, how do those 10fps matter? I'd rather save the £75+ quid and get the card that's just going to improve over time and doesn't turn my screen into a blurry mess.

Only if you use DLSS :D

LvqGzmE.png

Caporegime
OP
amd thoughare still all over the place though nvidia is the market elader for a reason not just becouse of tech outlets and biosed reviews. Amd gpu trail behind in a lot of games And the xt isnt as powerful as the 2070s so the 2070s will allways be pushed by people its a faster card better suport in a lot of games. Amd really need to up there game and start to take the fight nvidia across the board and not just budget and mid range. by all accounts well have a 3rd player in the gpu space and if amd are not carful they could loose even more market share and suport from dev treams

Oh come on..... its a fantastic competitor to the 2070S, its quicker than the 2070.

First iteration of RDNA and with lots room to grow more Shaders. its a flying start...

Caporegime
OP
It’s another uper mid range type of card from Amd whilst it is faster then a 2070 but not quite at 2070s level is all I’m saying the 2070s is being pushed due to it being faster same way as a 2080s is being pushed over a 2070s and 5700xt.

The other part is amd need to take on the 2080 and 2080ti we need amd or intel when they release there gpu to Knick NVIDIA around a bit. Nividia have had the top segment to them self for to long I want a competitive amd as atm my only choice is NVIDIA and that choice cost me 1k this generation.

That’s what I mean amd need to up there game we need a 2080ti level of performance so at least people will have a choice then when spending there 700-1k or even more

Nothing wrong with that, you say that this mid range small GPU being between a 2070 and 2070S is a bad thing... look its a lot less expensive than the 2070S, given its 'near performance' isn't that a good thing?

As i said First iteration of RDNA and with lots room to grow more Shaders. rumours are a much larger and possibly enhanced RDNA GPU is incoming.

Caporegime
OP
Its interesting because 6 months back we were all over news about zen2 and how it was going to be great (and to be fair it still is) but veryu expected navi to be so so .
Turns out navi was actually quite good.

Yes, i have been down and depressed on AMD RE: GPUs for years now, but Navi? yeah, its quite good. :)

Zen 2 is ####'### brilliant :D

Caporegime
OP
take amd as a whole i eman amd are a mess here are my reasons

amd cpu taken the fight to intel in nearly every way ryzen was a success when first launched more cores more threads very good perormance but really bad bios and drivers and changing of basic stuff like monitoring and stupid offsets on temps. seems amd can do so many things right but then fail at the basics. as you can see from my sig i do own a amd cpu and i love it but the problems keep cropping up were they sould of been simple to sort before launch. amd really need to start sorting these thing out quicker or squashing them ebfore launch.

amd gpu division.

first off for the price i think the 5700/xt are very good and i do think that they ahve done a good job in taking the fight to the 2070 and 2070s i think either the 5700xt or the 2070s would be a great buy for someone spending 400 pounds on a gpu. Butt amd drivers in games is below par in a fair few now i know amd will keep pushing performance out with each driver update but thats still making people wait for peoblems to be solved like with the cpu's.
Then there is the heat issues they are having people coming forward with temps upto 110 degress and amd saying its normal and with operation range. the gpu being allowed to boost and keep boosting trill then is just crazy.
then my main reason is that amd have targeted a speciific section again the mid range well lets call it uper mid range this time and roumoured to discontuin the radion vii so the 5700xt is now the top tier card amd produce. only going for this segment will contuin to push devs to nvidia over amd as nividia have a card for each segment from 120 pounds all the way upto 2k+

and lastly to me the 5700 seems like a tech demo for the p5 and xbox (two) amd love to push forward that both consoles will being 5700 rdna in there products thats just my take and feeling though no real prof to that one

Amd do so many things right But they get just as many things wrong And thats why i think atm amd are all over the place either lack of experiance or just spreading themself to thin as nvidia/intel gets the basics right amd does not atm
Ryzen 1000 had some BIOS issues, Ryzen 3000 also has some BIOS issues.

Here's how i look at it. Zen was a completely new ground up architecture, with the million and one things that can go wrong when your doing it for the first time Inevitably you will end up with some teething problems, Ryzen 2000 being an enhanced version of Ryzen 1000 went off without a hickup, Ryzen 3000 again a different architecture has its quibbles.

Intel have been doing the same thing for over a decade, they are well versed in the "Core" architecture, if you keep playing it safe you don't have any issues, the down side is that creates stagnation, Intel are paying the price for that now, On the Desktop but much more so in Server SKUs where AMD humiliate, smash Intel and every performance record on record to pieces and there is nothing Intel can do about it.

RDNA is also a ground up rework.

Caporegime
OP
Whilst i agree with you on the cpu part zen 1 had a lot of issues at the start ram/bios/sleeping core parking and some programs really didnt like ryzen at all hehe. ryzen 2 launched with very few problems and even bios seemed ready my 2700x (which my son now has) worked perfectly from the get go no real problems and i kinda expected the 3000 series to be similar but ive had voltage issues with really high spikes on msi mobo otouching 1.6v at stock setting 3 mobo die 1 msi 1 asrock 1 asus now m asus c8h is simply amazing and the latest bios really did sort out my p[roblems i had.

intel have been playing safe for many years same cpu after same cpu and im pritty sure if no ryzen the 8700k and 9700k would have been quad core chips again and intel just keep patching security problems afeter problem but im sure intel will bring out another 14nm++++ cpu witch will push ahdead of ryzen again in ipc and gaming very much doubt they will match the 12 and core cpu in core count though but i know the roumored slides that made the rounds was fake im pritty sure intel will bring out a more core i9 cpu and a whole new socket

\\\\rdna i a start for amd with graphic cards amd really needed to move on GCN and even vega stuff they needed to sort out power draw and make a newish artecture to expand there gpu offering but I would have still liked to see amd really push it with rdna from alll the marketing material and people indepth views and reviews on it. It does look promising and im sure one day i will go back to having a amd gpu been so long since ive had one for my main pc My son has rx 470 which i picked up at a carboot for 75 pounds just before the minning craze started been a good gpu for him.

But my main choice now for him is a custom 5700xt at 439.99 the gigabyte 5700xt or the red dragion hence why i lokked at this thread or go for the kfa2 2070 super at 499.99

Intel will be refreshing coffeelake until well into 2021, they are expending 14nm production and retracting 10nm production while their road map is Sunny Cove 2019, Willow Cove 2020, Golden Cove 2021, all 10nm according to wikichip.

Intel will release a 10 core Coffeelake, which will be DOA given AMD's 12 core let alone the 16 core AMD will release the day after.

Coffeelakes 'Ring Bus' architecture limits the CPU to 10 cores, its one reason AMD invented a new way of cranking up core counts, a way that actually "scales"

They will release the 5Ghz all core KS to claw back some of the losses against Zen 2 with their IPC deficit, which is about 10%, Intel have a 10% IPC deficit to AMD... < it was fun writing that :D

On the Desktop IMO Intel are screwed for the next couple of years, if not for good because AMD are racing ahead at pace now, I don't think Intel care so much about Desktop now, they are loosing and loosing badly on server performance, performance per watt and price, they will put everything into getting 10nm working and ready for server because they don't need the clock speeds there, 10nm isn't giving it, much less even than AMD's 7nm Zen 2, but they need the yields ramped up but even then still with monolithic dies they ain't catching AMD, just look toward reducing the total humiliation by Zen 2 EPYC.

Caporegime
OP
Actually that's incorrect. Completely incorrect. Let me explain why.
1. Most monitors today come with LFC so if you don't reach the target of 144FPS for a 144hZ monitor LFC kicks in to prevent screen tearing.
2. If you looking to reduce input lag RTG created Radeon Anti-Lag, RAL. It does indeed reduce input latency. In which you don't need to worry about having 1000 FPS in order to reduce or remove input latency from your peripherals.

So in either case RTG has it lock, stock and barrel. With Nvidia you simply have to rely on brute power and IQ reduction techniques like DLSS to get the job done.

Even DLSS doesn't work.

On the left native 2160P. In the middle 1640P with AMD's "FedelityFX" enhancement. On the right 2160P with DLSS.

LvqGzmE.png

Caporegime
OP
Very interesting. Probably not that noticeable with a moving image? Surprised how good that Fidelity FX looks for non native. I presume it gets you higher frame rates? Does it introduce any latency penalty?

Don't know about input latency, i don't see how, introduces about a 2% performance penalty, however, what you do is reduce the resolution, in this case 78% of 4K and use FedelityFX to get the 4K image quality, perhaps even a little better, it looks to me in that image.

DLSS just blurs the crap out of everything, like FXAA, another one of Nvidia's 'enhancement' brain farts.

Tim from Hardware Unboxed made that video, a very detailed review, i'm going off line for a while but when i get back i'll try to find it.

Caporegime
OP
'Intel are screwed'.....Except for in gaming which they are still the best. None of that 'gap is close'...'difference is negligible' bs, please, as it normally comes after.

The gap is tiny, its not BS its the truth - you dont have to have an IQ above a warm glass of water to see that.
On the other side of the coin, the gap in things outside of games is rather large - to the red side.

Indeed, 9900K 5Ghz vs 3800X 4.5Ghz its 2 to 5% to the 9900K.

Its nothing,....

9900K: 116 vs 108 :3800X
9900K: 188 vs 184 :3800X
9900K: 104 vs 100 :3800X
9900K: 115 vs 110 :3800X
9900K: 140 vs 123 :3800X
9900K: 162 vs 158 :3800X
9900K: 125 vs 120 :3800X
9900K: 107 vs 103 :3800X
9900K: 165 vs 159 :3800X

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
#1 9900K peaked 80%
#2 9900K peaked 97% for about half the run, rest 80 to 85%
#3 9900K peaked 94%
#4 9900K peaked 94% for a few seconds, rest was sub 90%
#5 9900K peaked 94%
#6 9900K peaked 90% for a few seconds, rest 60 to 75%
#7 9900K peaked 98% mostly between 90 and 98%
#8 9900K peaked 98% for a few seconds, rest around 90%

I would argue very little, if anything, if 97/98% is full GPU there was maybe ~45 seconds in the 10 minute run.

A lot of it, the vast majority was 55 to 90%

Caporegime
OP
I had no micro stutter with my 4790k/7700k and not even my 2700x. If the 7700k was so bad why did AMD use it to showcase their Vega vii gpu? I am learning fast that while people can have issues with their setups it is often that ‘their set ups’ and if someone else with the same cpu combo isn’t experiencing issues then it could well be another conflict within ‘their system’ causing the issue.

PEBCAK? No. it depends on the game and situation, when the CPU is running all its threads at 100% or near it can't do any more when the GPU makes a request, because the CPU can't respond the GPU needs to wait on the CPU and pause, it does this at very high speed while the CPU is at full load, because the GPU is: Stop - Go -Stop - Go - Stop - Go - Stop........ it introduces erratic frame rates, which you will feel as stutter. and it looks like this...

Blue line botton right, see that? Up - Down -Up - Down - Up - Down....

Even at near double the frame rates (the CPU is doing nearly twice as much) the 1600/X are still smooth, so it still has head room, the 7600K is flatout and not able to keep up with the GPU. that's the power of high thread counts in games.

When people with 4 and 8 thread CPU's complain about stutter in games with their high end GPU's they are not imagining it.

CHmOGdu.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom