• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

JayZ review of the 5700XT Red Devil, don't OC, Undervolt.

Soldato
amd thoughare still all over the place though nvidia is the market elader for a reason not just becouse of tech outlets and biosed reviews. Amd gpu trail behind in a lot of games And the xt isnt as powerful as the 2070s so the 2070s will allways be pushed by people its a faster card better suport in a lot of games. Amd really need to up there game and start to take the fight nvidia across the board and not just budget and mid range. by all accounts well have a 3rd player in the gpu space and if amd are not carful they could loose even more market share and suport from dev treams

Why are AMD 'all over the place'?

The 2070S is marginally and arguably a slightly better performaing card at a massive price increase.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Oh come on..... its a fantastic competitor to the 2070S, its quicker than the 2070.

First iteration of RDNA and with lots room to grow more Shaders. its a flying start...

It’s another uper mid range type of card from Amd whilst it is faster then a 2070 but not quite at 2070s level is all I’m saying the 2070s is being pushed due to it being faster same way as a 2080s is being pushed over a 2070s and 5700xt.

The other part is amd need to take on the 2080 and 2080ti we need amd or intel when they release there gpu to Knick NVIDIA around a bit. Nividia have had the top segment to them self for to long I want a competitive amd as atm my only choice is NVIDIA and that choice cost me 1k this generation.

That’s what I mean amd need to up there game we need a 2080ti level of performance so at least people will have a choice then when spending there 700-1k or even more

Soldato
Its all over the place because in FH4 its a match in performance for a 2080TI, maybe that's it?

Damn those stupid all over the place GPUs...........

I've no idea it just seemed like a stupid comment thrown out there for no reason, as the facts don't really back anything he claimed.

Caporegime
OP
It’s another uper mid range type of card from Amd whilst it is faster then a 2070 but not quite at 2070s level is all I’m saying the 2070s is being pushed due to it being faster same way as a 2080s is being pushed over a 2070s and 5700xt.

The other part is amd need to take on the 2080 and 2080ti we need amd or intel when they release there gpu to Knick NVIDIA around a bit. Nividia have had the top segment to them self for to long I want a competitive amd as atm my only choice is NVIDIA and that choice cost me 1k this generation.

That’s what I mean amd need to up there game we need a 2080ti level of performance so at least people will have a choice then when spending there 700-1k or even more

Nothing wrong with that, you say that this mid range small GPU being between a 2070 and 2070S is a bad thing... look its a lot less expensive than the 2070S, given its 'near performance' isn't that a good thing?

As i said First iteration of RDNA and with lots room to grow more Shaders. rumours are a much larger and possibly enhanced RDNA GPU is incoming.

Caporegime
OP
Its interesting because 6 months back we were all over news about zen2 and how it was going to be great (and to be fair it still is) but veryu expected navi to be so so .
Turns out navi was actually quite good.

Yes, i have been down and depressed on AMD RE: GPUs for years now, but Navi? yeah, its quite good. :)

Zen 2 is ####'### brilliant :D

TrM

TrM

Associate
Why are AMD 'all over the place'?

The 2070S is marginally and arguably a slightly better performaing card at a massive price increase.

take amd as a whole i eman amd are a mess here are my reasons

amd cpu taken the fight to intel in nearly every way ryzen was a success when first launched more cores more threads very good perormance but really bad bios and drivers and changing of basic stuff like monitoring and stupid offsets on temps. seems amd can do so many things right but then fail at the basics. as you can see from my sig i do own a amd cpu and i love it but the problems keep cropping up were they sould of been simple to sort before launch. amd really need to start sorting these thing out quicker or squashing them ebfore launch.

amd gpu division.

first off for the price i think the 5700/xt are very good and i do think that they ahve done a good job in taking the fight to the 2070 and 2070s i think either the 5700xt or the 2070s would be a great buy for someone spending 400 pounds on a gpu. Butt amd drivers in games is below par in a fair few now i know amd will keep pushing performance out with each driver update but thats still making people wait for peoblems to be solved like with the cpu's.
Then there is the heat issues they are having people coming forward with temps upto 110 degress and amd saying its normal and with operation range. the gpu being allowed to boost and keep boosting trill then is just crazy.
then my main reason is that amd have targeted a speciific section again the mid range well lets call it uper mid range this time and roumoured to discontuin the radion vii so the 5700xt is now the top tier card amd produce. only going for this segment will contuin to push devs to nvidia over amd as nividia have a card for each segment from 120 pounds all the way upto 2k+

and lastly to me the 5700 seems like a tech demo for the p5 and xbox (two) amd love to push forward that both consoles will being 5700 rdna in there products thats just my take and feeling though no real prof to that one

Amd do so many things right But they get just as many things wrong And thats why i think atm amd are all over the place either lack of experiance or just spreading themself to thin as nvidia/intel gets the basics right amd does not atm

i have nothing against amd or intel or nvidia etc but untill ryzen come out we only had intel as our only choice. and atm we only have nividia if you want the best top tier cards. the only reason i am looking at the 5700xt is for my sons pc he needs a new gpu to go with his hand me down 2700x from me :) and i was looking at about 400 pounds

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
take amd as a whole i eman amd are a mess here are my reasons

amd cpu taken the fight to intel in nearly every way ryzen was a success when first launched more cores more threads very good perormance but really bad bios and drivers and changing of basic stuff like monitoring and stupid offsets on temps. seems amd can do so many things right but then fail at the basics. as you can see from my sig i do own a amd cpu and i love it but the problems keep cropping up were they sould of been simple to sort before launch. amd really need to start sorting these thing out quicker or squashing them ebfore launch.

amd gpu division.

first off for the price i think the 5700/xt are very good and i do think that they ahve done a good job in taking the fight to the 2070 and 2070s i think either the 5700xt or the 2070s would be a great buy for someone spending 400 pounds on a gpu. Butt amd drivers in games is below par in a fair few now i know amd will keep pushing performance out with each driver update but thats still making people wait for peoblems to be solved like with the cpu's.
Then there is the heat issues they are having people coming forward with temps upto 110 degress and amd saying its normal and with operation range. the gpu being allowed to boost and keep boosting trill then is just crazy.
then my main reason is that amd have targeted a speciific section again the mid range well lets call it uper mid range this time and roumoured to discontuin the radion vii so the 5700xt is now the top tier card amd produce. only going for this segment will contuin to push devs to nvidia over amd as nividia have a card for each segment from 120 pounds all the way upto 2k+

and lastly to me the 5700 seems like a tech demo for the p5 and xbox (two) amd love to push forward that both consoles will being 5700 rdna in there products thats just my take and feeling though no real prof to that one

Amd do so many things right But they get just as many things wrong And thats why i think atm amd are all over the place either lack of experiance or just spreading themself to thin as nvidia/intel gets the basics right amd does not atm
Ryzen 1000 had some BIOS issues, Ryzen 3000 also has some BIOS issues.

Here's how i look at it. Zen was a completely new ground up architecture, with the million and one things that can go wrong when your doing it for the first time Inevitably you will end up with some teething problems, Ryzen 2000 being an enhanced version of Ryzen 1000 went off without a hickup, Ryzen 3000 again a different architecture has its quibbles.

Intel have been doing the same thing for over a decade, they are well versed in the "Core" architecture, if you keep playing it safe you don't have any issues, the down side is that creates stagnation, Intel are paying the price for that now, On the Desktop but much more so in Server SKUs where AMD humiliate, smash Intel and every performance record on record to pieces and there is nothing Intel can do about it.

RDNA is also a ground up rework.

Soldato
But of course there's no issues with Intel's hugely overpriced CPU range is there?

The 5700 is a tech demo?

Drivers? Both teams have driver issues at times. How about Nvisa gimping drivers to try and force people to buy newer cards.

Heat? What about Nvidia's disastrous space invader 2080ti?

The majority of what you posted is just ill-informed twaddle.

Associate
Yeah you get problems when you move to significantly new ways of doing stuff.
Intel has had its fair share of ealy day problems with new cpu's... so have AMD
Nvidia has had less early day driver issues than AMD but nvidia tends to have more serious ongoing issues like space invaders and drivers that are stuck in 1970.

AMD should have had better drivers for Navis launch, they were not terrible but a couple of months more polish ... would have helped. Overclocking is still a big thing and they need to address that as well but at least they are on the right path.

Associate
I honestly don't get what all the hype over this red devil is...it's being exaggerated a bit to say the least.

If it was an extra £30/40 maybe just maybe, but it's close to a £100 premium lol I think people are losing sight of where this card sits in the market and I say that as someone who owns one :p.

TrM

TrM

Associate
But of course there's no issues with Intel's hugely overpriced CPU range is there?

The 5700 is a tech demo?

Drivers? Both teams have driver issues at times. How about Nvisa gimping drivers to try and force people to buy newer cards.

Heat? What about Nvidia's disastrous space invader 2080ti?

The majority of what you posted is just ill-informed twaddle.

lol Intel overpiced cpu is true but intel cpu are better out of the box then ryzen cpus are U may pay more for intel but atleast u know what your getting amd ryzen 3900x of mine i feel like im a beta tester for bios boosting temps memory etc

Console sale will eclipse amd gpu sales once the consoles come out Having ryzen cpu and rdna gpu and marketing for both consoles and pc And trying to make out its one big amd eccosystem will be big buisness for amd and whilst i dont hasve the facts to back it up as there isn't any atm The ps5 will use a very similar gpu as the pc version and thats why i belive the 5700 was pushed out first Amd cant be making a whole lot of money off thse gpu The wise buiness choice would be to push out a card that sells for 2080ti money and milk it but with consoles using a very similar gpu its all abnout marketing now and thats exactly what amd are doing

U buy a 2070 at launch and you got better perormance and hasnt really improved since in majority of games. and whilst amd have certainly gotten better at drivers The lack oof products across all ranges limits the involvment the devs have with amd RDNA is amd basis for the next few years but atm it is underwhelming in the grand scheem of things but a good uper mid range card But you are right in nerf perormance to sell gpus was bad But what choice do i have other then nvidia? if amd had somthing that rivaled the 2080ti even at the same price i would strongly concider a amd gpu

2080ti even referance stop boosting at set amount in the reasonable range The 2080ti is a strange card anyhow such a big die is the only reason its faster then most cards, Nvidia ran out of ideas after the terrible rt crap and just bolted on graphics cuda cores and made rt there main selling point is how i see it But my point still stand what choice do i have but Nvidia ?

Everything i have said Is from eprsonal experiance and information comanly found on the internet But To me amd is not a choice i can make in the gpu market Cpu it was a easy choice even though i do feel like a beta tester atm

Yeah you get problems when you move to significantly new ways of doing stuff.
Intel has had its fair share of ealy day problems with new cpu's... so have AMD
Nvidia has had less early day driver issues than AMD but nvidia tends to have more serious ongoing issues like space invaders and drivers that are stuck in 1970.

AMD should have had better drivers for Navis launch, they were not terrible but a couple of months more polish ... would have helped. Overclocking is still a big thing and they need to address that as well but at least they are on the right path.

Yera i get there will be troubles with new cpu/gpu etc But AMd seem to behind intel/nvidia at the monet with it all.

Whilst intel hasnt had a radical new desktop cpu for quite a while (i know 10nm laptop parts are out now) u buy a new intel cpu 8700k 9900k and you get a lot less problems less need for bios updates. But to balance it out though with intewl you never know what hack or expliot will crop up and need a patch/bios update To nerf performance ANd to nmake you feel like you sould of brought amd:) But our work pc's are i.t guys have disabled hyperthreading on all our i7 we use which kinda sucks but really is quite bad

AMd graphic drivers are a lot better then then ever have been tbh a lot less problems and genrally a good driver out before erach game like nividia But with new gpu i feel that amd sould of done a lot better out of the gate this time.

overclocking im not really a fan of though I much prefer the cpu/gpu to get the most out of it out of the gate without any tinkering or getting lucjky with silcon lottery Its the one thing i like about the 3900x is out the box performance is spot on and i acctully now boost to 4.15ghz (wewas 4.05 on first bios) and even with amanual oc i only get 4.3ghz with betetr temps ofc but stillsomeone just buying a cpu the the ryzen cpu if working as inteneded will give a good experiance

Last edited:
Soldato
:p

I'd totally recommend an AMD CPU and this GPU to someone building a new PC from scratch or at least ancient setup. Nice bit of kit but doesn't really offer much to me and my 5 year old CPU and 2 year old GPU. So in that respect I do think they have some catching up to do on NV. And hopefully it happens!

TrM

TrM

Associate
Ryzen 1000 had some BIOS issues, Ryzen 3000 also has some BIOS issues.

Here's how i look at it. Zen was a completely new ground up architecture, with the million and one things that can go wrong when your doing it for the first time Inevitably you will end up with some teething problems, Ryzen 2000 being an enhanced version of Ryzen 1000 went off without a hickup, Ryzen 3000 again a different architecture has its quibbles.

Intel have been doing the same thing for over a decade, they are well versed in the "Core" architecture, if you keep playing it safe you don't have any issues, the down side is that creates stagnation, Intel are paying the price for that now, On the Desktop but much more so in Server SKUs where AMD humiliate, smash Intel and every performance record on record to pieces and there is nothing Intel can do about it.

RDNA is also a ground up rework.

Whilst i agree with you on the cpu part zen 1 had a lot of issues at the start ram/bios/sleeping core parking and some programs really didnt like ryzen at all hehe. ryzen 2 launched with very few problems and even bios seemed ready my 2700x (which my son now has) worked perfectly from the get go no real problems and i kinda expected the 3000 series to be similar but ive had voltage issues with really high spikes on msi mobo otouching 1.6v at stock setting 3 mobo die 1 msi 1 asrock 1 asus now m asus c8h is simply amazing and the latest bios really did sort out my p[roblems i had.

intel have been playing safe for many years same cpu after same cpu and im pritty sure if no ryzen the 8700k and 9700k would have been quad core chips again and intel just keep patching security problems afeter problem but im sure intel will bring out another 14nm++++ cpu witch will push ahdead of ryzen again in ipc and gaming very much doubt they will match the 12 and core cpu in core count though but i know the roumored slides that made the rounds was fake im pritty sure intel will bring out a more core i9 cpu and a whole new socket

\\\\rdna i a start for amd with graphic cards amd really needed to move on GCN and even vega stuff they needed to sort out power draw and make a newish artecture to expand there gpu offering but I would have still liked to see amd really push it with rdna from alll the marketing material and people indepth views and reviews on it. It does look promising and im sure one day i will go back to having a amd gpu been so long since ive had one for my main pc My son has rx 470 which i picked up at a carboot for 75 pounds just before the minning craze started been a good gpu for him.

But my main choice now for him is a custom 5700xt at 439.99 the gigabyte 5700xt or the red dragion hence why i lokked at this thread or go for the kfa2 2070 super at 499.99

Soldato
Well it's good enough that I've got a 5700XT Red Devil on the way. Will tide me over until the 5900XT or whatever drops. Nice to be back to an all AMD set up again :cool:

Associate
I think they have brought pretty good competition to the gpu space, even after nvidia super shuffle the only place nvidia has a clear advantage is in the £600+ level. And even in this enthusiast forum the majority of people are shopping at cheaper tiers

Back
Top Bottom