Jesters* Crossfit Journey

Associate
OP
Tough update for me today.

18.1 didn't go well for me at all. Not because of the workout, but because I have been sick for the last 3 days leading up to it and had to post a score.

Open Workout 18.1

20:00 AMRAP

8 x Toes to Bar
10 x Dumbell Hang Clean + Jerks (22.5Kg)
14 x Cal Row

It seems to be a common theme emerging for me that the first workout goes wrong come Open time. Last year I injured myself, so this year I made sure my preparation was good and all the niggles had been ironed out. The only thing I didn't count on was coming down with a bug!

The workout was going smoothly, although I could feel my energy levels were no where near what the usually would be my pace was good and steady and I was looking on target for 9/10 rounds. But I started having a coughing fit halfway through the fourth round row, which lead to me starting to dry heave and legging it to the toilet where I spent the next 5 minutes heaving and getting myself back to being on the level. I came out with 7:00 or so left on the clock and proceeded to get back to the workout and finish 7 Cal's short of finishing round 7. For a total of 217 reps. Not sure I will redo on Monday, I may let my body recover fully and get ready for 18.2

Mentally its tough, after making such improvements and working so hard. To be pegged back is frustrating especially as it is out of my control. It shouldn't matter as there is no chance I will go to regionals and compete further on down the line in the Games season, but I put myself under pressure to perform well, as the last years training has mainly been for getting to this point.

Soldato
Tough update for me today.

Brutal - I really feel for you. Tough one but try and see if you have a redo in you before deadline on Monday. Don't be too hard on yourself, these things are sent to test us and sometimes it's just bad luck.

A great effort all the same, to even restart after a stop like that is a great sign. Don't quit.

Refocus on the next work out, heal up, take time to recover and go again. Just need to smash some comps later in the year!!

Associate
I feel your pain. I decided to do 18.1 on the Monday instead of Friday night lights and woke up Saturday morning with an inflamed disc which happens to me from time to time and I haven't been able to do 18.1 at all :( Should have done it Friday night. I'm the only one in my box who didn't do the workout so I'm rock bottom........ Really makes me just want to not do the rest and sulk. But I won't and I'm hopefully going to be well again before the deadline for 18.2!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the support guys.

A little update for you, it turns out I haven't had a bug. It has been full on Flu that went through me like a train on Sunday. Barely being able to walk, cold sweats, headaches, lack of appetite, body temperatures all over the place. Monday was an improvement, and today I am up and about and on the mend.

Really hoping to get in for Friday when I originally had 18.2 planned in for, as I am meant to be working nights Friday/Saturday. So Friday or Monday are the ideal days for me to attempt 18.2. But if I am still on the mend I will definitely go for a one and done attempt on Monday. Not being able to train is horrible and I really miss it, with the temperatures and sudden wintry conditions here in Kent at the moment I am staying inside and staying warm.

Got my seeding back from the Rainhill Trials and my submitted scores placed me 41/241 and in the "Rocket" catagory. Very happy as it means I am in the highest division and that at least gave me a bit of a confidence boost over the last few days.

Soldato
Whilst it's a great idea to crack on with 18.2 - if your not feel 100% - don't do it! It's not the end of the world and it could knock you back even more! Hope your better and smash it but if your not right - give it a miss! I'll double suffer for you!

Associate
OP
Feel a little bit of redemption today. Walked into the box for the first time since last Saturday to do 18.2. Due to night shifts tonight and Saturday night this was going to be my only real chance to get a good shot at it.

18.2 Ascending Ladder

12:00

1 x Front Rack Dumbell Squats
1 x Bar Facing Burpees
2 x
2 x
3 x
3 x
-
-
10 x
10 x

18.2a Remaining time - Set 1 RM Clean

In my mind I thought that if I was feeling 100% I was looking at roughly 8mins to finish the work and have 4 minutes to set the 1RM. In reality I took it steady and consistent and finished in 9:39 and had enough time to get 3 lifts in. Power cleaned 90Kg and 100Kg, before asking my helpers to wack 105Kg on the bar as my coach said "Sod that put 107.5Kg on the bar" I had one shot at lifting it and went for it at 11:45 and got it using the full squat clean. So managed to hit 95% of my 1RM. Pumped didn't quite cover it, I am really happy with that considering the last week I have had.

Soldato
Superb - well done. Only thing that worries me is your 9.45 for the ladder part - Your WAY fast/better than me so I'm now very concerned I won't even get to the 1RM clean!

Associate
OP
It is a deceptively hard ladder. A chap went after me, one of the guys trying to RX all the open and didn't finish round 9 by 12:00.

I did not break the squats and my pace was consistent through the burpees with no breaks on the floor or between reps. You have to keep moving and not break if you want to get to the cleans with some time to spare.

I finished round 8 at 6:22, round 9 7:54 and round 10 9:39 so you can see I was on an almost constant 1:30 rounds for those last 3.

Associate
OP
Hard first day back training in about 12 days. Definitely feel weaker and not quite where I was before I was ill. But I will get stronger and back to where I want to be by the end of the open.

5 x 8 Bench Press @ 80%
Every 2:30

Went for 70Kg and didn't feel too bad until the last set where I failed on rep 6. Not a fan of bench, but still did the work and got it done.

WOD 15:00

30 x Wallballs
30 x Pullups
30 x Wallballs
20 x Chest to Bars
30 x Wallballs
10 x Bar Muscle Up

This would usually be right up my street. I put a good shift in, but had to break the last set of wallballs into 5's and I have not done that for an extremely long time. Definitely feeling the lack of energy, but thats part of recovering and coming back harder.

Finished the workout in 13:23. Glad to see I can still bar mu!

Associate
OP
Today was......an endurance WOD. Exactly what I did not want to see on the board!

32:00 EMOM

1. 10 x Dumbell Thrusters (22.5Kg)
2. 7 x Strict Pullups
3. 10 x Handstand Pressups (20's)
4. 15 x Cal Row

Now I scaled the reps back to give myself the best chance at just getting through knowing that I still am not feeling 100%. So I did 5/6 of the thrusters, 5 pullups each round, 8/6 handstand pressups and 12 cal row.

Felt good to move through and scaling the reps back gave me enough rest time throughout the workout. Making improvements and slowly getting back into it.

Associate
OP
Good work done today.

18:00 AMRAP

10 x Shoulders to Overhead (60Kg)
6 x Over bar Burpees
10 x Hang cleans
6 x Over bar Burpees
10 x Front Squats
6 x Over bar Burpees

Just kept moving, got through 2 rounds and got to 1st front squat in the third. Energy levels are still on the low side but moved the weight well.

WOD "Annie"
15:00

50 - 40 - 30 - 20 - 10

Double Unders
Situps

Been a long time since I've done this workout. Double Unders went really well, only tripped once in the round of 40 otherwise all unbroken. Got cramp during the round of 30 situps but still posted a 9:16 finish. Happy with that.

Associate
OP
So 18.3 happened today.

When I saw it posted I knew it was all going to hinge on how well I could ring muscle up. Frustratingly I know that if the bar muscle ups had been first I would have got so much deeper into the workout.

14:00

2 Rounds

100 x Double Unders
20 x Overhead Squats (52Kg)
100 x Double Unders
12 x Ring Muscle Ups
100 x Double Unders
20 x Dumbell Snatch (22.5Kg)
100 x Double Unders
12 x Bar Muscle Ups

So I completed 7 of the ring muscle ups by the time cap hit. I missed about 7-10 attempts, which wasted so much energy.

Me being competitive with myself am mildly disappointed with my results as I wanted to get passed the rings. But I have to look at it in a positive way, this time last year I had only just done my first few bar muscle ups and could not get anywhere near getting them on the rings. I've only been doing them since December so to get 7 done is great. Give me another years work and I will be able to string them together so much better and efficiently.

Another positive is that I did the first 100 double unders unbroken, setting myself a PB for unbroken double unders! 57 seconds to get all 100 done, pretty chuffed with that.

So many positives to take away from this workout, and leaves me motivated to keep improving!

Soldato
very well done. Good to see you taking the positives out of it. I know a lot of people at my place are the same - got 7/9 ring muscle ups done etc.

I'm going in on Monday to do 1 Double under/maybe 2 for an Rx score!

Soldato
Good effort - I done scaled with RX weights which made for a nice work out! Single Unders as my ankle injury can't cope with DUs yet, and I can't muscle up so pull ups for me!

Associate
OP
Today's session was a good one. Mainly because I hate these particular kind of workouts.

4 x 12 Strict Press (Pick your weight)

I went with 40Kg, completed 3 rounds, the last few reps of round 3 were shaky as heck bu got it done. Then failed on rep 9 of the last set. Definitely feel like I picked the right weight to challenge me then take me to failure at the end.

WOD1 7:00

9 - 15 - 21

Overbar Burpees
Overhead Squats (42.5Kg)

5:00 Rest

WOD2 10:00
3 Rounds

24 x Wallballs
12 x Cleans (Power/Squat 70Kg)

This structure of workout ruins me every time it is programmed. WOD1 I hit cap with 17 squats left, trying to get the work in such a tight time cap is so hard and you do end up gassing out so quickly. 5 minutes rest flies by and although it looks like a long time, it really isn't. The wallballs of WOD2 were ok in sets of 12 but the cleans were in singles all the way through, I could never get a quick pace going with them as fatigue was really setting in. Managed to get to the last round and hit cap with 26 reps left. Collapsed and didn't move for a good 5 minutes.

After finishing I went and got the rings set up and did some ring muscle ups. Motivated to keep drilling the technique until it really becomes second nature and I can happily string them in sets of 3/4.

Tea Drinker
Don
Death by cardio this morning :eek:

I got 26 and 20 on the airdyne and 20 and 16 on the rower.

Well done on the 18.3 :D I'm not involved in the games as I'm only there once a week but watching others complete there's this morning was fun :p:p

Associate
OP
Good work Macca. Yea the atmosphere is always great around the Open, one of my favourite times of year!

Today was another split workout!

5 x 8 Back Squat (60/70%)

Nice to get some back squat going, did the first 2 sets at 90Kg, then 2 at 95Kg and finished the last set on 100Kg. Definitely felt like I got the weights right as the last 2 reps of each set got progressively more difficult.

WOD 23:00 Rolling Clock

WOD1 10:00
4 Rounds

10 x Handstand Pressup
15 x Box Jump (30")

3:00 Rest

WOD2 10:00

4 Rounds

8 x Strict Handstand Pressups
12 x Box Overs

No idea why the coach thought it was a good idea to put the strict work after the kipping work. My shoulders were goosed! Completed the first WOD in 6:44 so I got just over 6:00 rest. But even that did not seem to help as soon as we got to the strict work. I managed 1 whole round on WOD2 because the shoulders just didn't have much left at all and each rep was a grind.

Afterwards I got back on the rings and did some more muscle ups. Consistent practice is the key for long term gains!

Associate
OP
Wednesday was all the cardio again!

WOD 32:00

EMOM

1. 15 x Down Ups
2. 15 x Russian Kettlebell Swings (32kg)
3. 15 x Cal Row
4. 15 x Wallballs

I had the pleasure of doing this with the head coach and one of the athletes. I managed to keep pace for 3 of the 8 rounds, before having to scale back the downups to 8 and wallballs to 10 or risk hitting the red line and never recovering. Kept the swings and row at RX though.

More muscle up practice after the session finished!

Back
Top Bottom