Jesters* Crossfit Journey

Associate
OP
Barbell Club!

Tasty work today. Which left me feeling a little gassed at the end!

3 x 10 Muscle Snatch
2:30

We haven't historically had too much muscle snatch programmed in so this was going to be interesting especially as they were touch and go reps. Overloaded slightly to 45Kg then brought it back down to 40Kg for the sets. This was good fun and definitely started requiring increased effort half way through the second set, but completed all the reps ok.

Complex for Max Load
12:00

5 x Deadlift
3 x Hang Clean
1 x Jerk

Very similar to the complex we did on the 7th August, but with an increase in reps. Grip became an even bigger issue as the weight increased! Managed to hit 95Kg, which was only 2.5Kg down on the weight I did previously at the lower rep range. Very happy with this but the next stage was hard work.

Complete the above complex every 1:30 for 15:00
80% of your max complex weight.

So 10 sets of the complex at 75Kg. I wanted to quit at about round 3, it was properly getting to me but kept going and completed all rounds at the weight. The complex took roughly 30 seconds so had a maximum rest of about 1:00. Barely got the breath back by the time we moved to the next round.

OVerall this felt good, I have had 2 days off as after Thursday I felt my lower back getting tight and I am now very aware of this part of my body as it is what caused me massive issues in March. Narrowed it down to the glutes back then and with help from the therapist (and a huge amount of pain) it was sorted. So when I felt the niggles I have spent a good bit of the last 3 nights with my trigger point ball, roller and stretches going to town on the glutes. Booked in to see therapist tomorrow and I will get her to go to town as well.

GP appointment tomorrow to investigate what might be a hernia, it is still not causing me any issues or pain but I want to get it checked out before it potentially causes me problems.

Associate
OP
95kg jerk is astonishing to me.

Haha thanks Bag. Am aiming to get the 110Kg Clean + Jerk soon, I feel like it is on the cards.

Fun session today followed by 40 mins with the Sports Therapist. Not sure which of the 2 was more painful!

WOD 15:00

100 x Double Unders
21 x Deadlift (100Kg)
21 x Over bar burpees
80 x DU
15 x Deadlift
15 x Over bar burpees
60 x DU
9 x Deadlift
9 x Over bar burpees

This was a spicy way to kick off the session. Managed to do the most amount of consecutive double unders ever twice, both 43! Completed it in 11:22 and felt majorly poop'd after it.

5 x 5 Push Jerk
2:30

Coach wanted us to improve on the weights we did last week. So I did 2 x 72.5Kg sets, 2 x 75Kg sets and finished on 77.5Kg. Which was a nice improvement over the previous week.

We finished on

6:00 EMOM

3 x Max deficit handstand press ups.

So this was fun after all the shoulder work previously. But even so worked up to a 11.5" deficit. Had 2.5 reps at 12.5", just couldn't lock out the last one.

My sports therapist worked on my back for a good half an hour. Lats were especially tight so they got a good pummeling, glutes to my surprise were not in bad shape. Then came some of the worst pain ever in the form of my right forearm, mentioned to her that my right wrist has been suffering from a lack of mobility and she went to town. All the small muscles felt like they were popping like bubble wrap and the pain was excruciating. Will be booking in again in about 2 weeks to go over it again and probably do my legs as well.

Associate
OP
Today we got to play at the beginning of the session.

20:00

Practicing any variation of handstands depending on your skill level.

I opted to practice handstand walks and getting comfortable going into the position. Progress was made and the video below is a little snapshot of the fun.

There were a couple of steps walked but happy with some progress, even with a crash mat! Practice will yield more results.

15 x Hollow Rocks

Just to give the core a nice blast before moving onto the WOD. Not really an issue with the reps and completed all sets.

WOD Open Workout 12.3

18:00 AMRAP

15 x Box Jumps (24")
12 x Push Press (52.5Kg)
9 x Toes to bar

I looked at this workout and thought I could do quite well. Keep moving through the box jumps and if needed split the push presses into 6's. Toes to bar I can string together quite happily at these lower numbers. Pedal down and got into gear, first 3/4 rounds every movement was unbroken from about round 5 the push press was in 6's to prevent the shoulders from blowing out too much. Did 7 rounds and 14 reps, mightily happy with that as I wanted to do sub 3 minute rounds and ended up doing roughly 2:30 rounds. This conditioning phase is giving me some really big improvements.

First night shift tonight so I probably won't feel like training but we shall see.

Associate
OP
Team Workout today!

Yes, I said I wasn't going to train between night shifts but what the heck. Gains waits for no man.

Started off with...

Max Duration Dead Hang

Did it for 1:29. Quite disappointed with this really, but I made the mistake of not facing the clock and changing grip at around the minute mark. So I thought I had done longer than I had! Ah well.

Then teams of 2/3

30:00 AMRAP

3 x Squat Cleans (80Kg)
6 x Strict Pull ups
9 x Burpee box overs (24")

Done as a team of 2 with one of my friends and we managed 15 rounds 12 reps. The squat cleans became hellish on the legs at about 20 minutes in, but kept moving through and we both worked hard.

Did some handstand walk practice for 10 minutes after the session, starting to get the hang of getting into the position. Now to work on finding that balance to progress to walking.

Associate
OP
Challenging work today. Up until my session no one yet had completed the workout. Challenge accepted.

We started with a 14:00 alternating EMOM

1. 15 x Wall Balls (20lb)
2. 2 x Squat Snatch (60Kg)

Comfortable for me which surprised me. Hit every snatch without any issues and really happy that the wall balls did not gas me out too badly!

WOD

30:00 Running Clock

20 - 15 - 10

Hang Power Cleans (60Kg)
Burpees
Handstand Pressups (20Kg Plates)

2:00 Rest

20 - 15 - 10

Thruster (52.5Kg)
Burpees
Toes to Bar

So this was a truly punishing workout. So much work through the shoulders but foot down and got through the first set of exercises in 11:27 and got my 2:00 of rest. Back on it with heavy thrusters, to try and break my will but kept going and completed the second set of exercises at the 26:57 mark.

Extremely happy and proving to myself that I can step up and hit the work rate required to finish some of these workouts.

Signed myself up to a local Olympic Lifting competition being held on the 1st October. Always look forward to these, excited to see if I can hit some new PBs.

Associate
OP
Sweet sweet Clean PB in today's session.

But we started with EMOMs

18:00 @ 75Kg for all parts

0:00-6:00

2 x Clean - 3 sec pause below then above the knee.

6:00-12:00

1 x Clean
2 x Hang Clean

12:00-18:00

1 x Power Clean
3 x Front Squat

Then 20:00 to do 10 reps @ 80-90% (Decided to work up to PB from 80%)

Lifted at 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 112.5(PB)
Had an attempt at 115 but a little too fatigued and didn't get under it quick enough.

Associate
OP
Very hot session today.

4:00 AMRAP

15 x Situps
5 x Candlesticks
3 x Box jumps (24")

Quick and got the blood pumping. Managed 3 Rounds 20 reps.

10:00 EMOM

3 x Down Ups
3 x Thrusters (60Kg)

Heavy thrusters, got the work done in about 20 seconds so got 40 seconds rest each round. No major issues but a good shoulder attack.

30:00 Clock 3:00 Rounds (10 sets total)

200m Run
5 x Deficit Hand stand pressups ( 2 x 20Kg plates under each hand 6" deficit )
5 x Box Jumps (36")

Tasty workout, run was done in 50-55 seconds and kept a consistent pace across all rounds. Shoulders suffered from about half way through but stayed with me till the end. Made sure each box jump was accurate and that I did not bail any reps!

Associate
OP
Team workout today. Or it would have been if I didn't get peer pressured into doing the workout solo :D

35:00

50 x Power Cleans (60Kg)
100 x Wallballs (20lb Ball)
50 x Power Cleans
100 x Wallballs
50 x Power Cleans

So yea, what to say about this one, grinded it out. Teams of 2 were finishing in 20/25 minutes so this was always going to push my limits. First set of power cleans were done in 5's and wallballs in 10's. Second set of cleans it went down to 3's with less rest, then with the clock against me the last set was in 2's with very limited rest. Hit the cap with 19 reps left. Just trying to balance the pace vs gas tank was the key. I think if I had another 2 minutes or so I would have finished, but other than that I was really happy to get further than I thought.

Finished with:

15 sec Dead hang L-sit hold

Yea I didn't have too much left in me for this but did my best. Legs started to get lower and lower each set with much ab burn setting in.

Associate
OP
No high volume conditioning today. Some gymnastic elements to start with then some barbell work!

12:00 EMOM

1. 1 x Legless rope climb.
2. 2 x Wall Walks
3. 6 x Pistol Squats (3 each leg)

First time I have ever done a legless rope climb was today. Did 1 in practice then did all 4 during this workout, a great achievement and properly happy with this milestone. Wall walks and pistol squats are within my comfort zone. Pistols do rely on being well stretched out and my left leg pistols were definitely worse than my right.

4 x 10 Overhead Lunges
2:00

Barbell overhead and lunge! Completed all the sets at 45Kg. Was fun and had to concentrate on keeping the shoulders active and stabilised during the movement.

3 x 6 Strict Press @75%
2:00

First set completed at 45Kg and was a little light and upped it to 50Kg for the last 2 sets. Definitely the right choice and the last couple of reps were definitely pushing it.

3 x 3 Push Press @90%

All 3 sets completed at 75Kg. Which is slightly less than my 90% but was definitely the right weight for me today.

Associate
OP
Get on it Bag, sort that mobility!

Wasn't feeling 100% today but wanted to blast through it.

12:00 3 Rounds

50 x Overhead Squats (20Kg)
30 Sec dead hang.

Completed in 8:50 the Squats were getting slower through the rounds. Burn was real!

10:00 EMOM

5 x Burpees
3 x Hang Power Cleans (85Kg)

So the cleans were prescribed at 70Kg but for athletes it was set at 85Kg. Coach told me to give it a shot and I completed it, hard but very rewarding.

18:00

3 x 40 Double Unders - 12 Toes to bar
3 x 7 Deadlifts (100Kg) 7 Handstand pressups (20Kg plates)
3 x 40 Double Unders - 12 Toes to bar

Bleh. This sucked, really hard on the gas tank and very little rest. Managed to complete in 14:30 and glad to get it done!

Associate
OP
Had the box's 3rd anniversary BBQ on Saturday and won "The Technique" award , as voted by the coaches and fellow crossfitters. Which was a nice little surprise!

Back into the swing of the Monday session.

6 x 4 Front Squat @ 80/85% Every 3:00

Did all sets at 100Kg. Definitely the right combination of weight and difficulty, the later sets the last 2 reps became a challenge.

Then onto

WOD 21:00

Every 3:00 Complete

9 x Box Jumps (24")
6 x Shoulders to Overhead (70Kg)
3 x Muscle Ups

Hurray finally muscle ups in a workout. Smashed through each round between 1:00 and 1:10 with each part unbroken, and confirmed all the hard work over the months on practicing the bar muscle up and the reload.

Associate
OP
Following with interest as I'm just on the start of the crossfit journey !!

Thanks booyaka, let me know if you have any questions and all that!

Busy session today.

16:00 EMOM split into 4 different lifts

0:00-04:00
2 x Power Snatch @ 80% (65Kg)

04:00-08:00
2 x Power Cleans @ 80% (90Kg)

08:00-12:00
2 x Push Jerks @ 80% (80Kg)

12:00-16:00
2 x Power Clean + Jerks @ 80% (90Kg)

Good fun, 2 lifts per minute kept the heart going and the weight changes when required had to be swift! Happy with all these weights and felt like it challenged me.

WOD 25:00
5 Rounds

50 x Double Unders
5 x Deadlifts (142.5Kg)
10 x Handstand Pressups (20Kg Plates)

A good workout this, mixing heavy deadlifts with 2 quick exercises was fun. Had to take 10-20 seconds between the deadlifts to make sure I didn't burn out. Double unders were dealt with quickly and the sets of handstands were done unbroken. Finished this in 17:58 and more than happy with this as I wanted to go sub 20mins.

Soldato
The day I can do a handstand pressup is the day I will retire from all sports.........got the upper body strength of a squirrel

Associate
OP
The day I can do a handstand pressup is the day I will retire from all sports.........got the upper body strength of a squirrel

Hahaha practice and dedication and you can. Anything is possible!

Today was team workout day. Coach decided to go with something different today and we were flooded with the girls!

50:00 Split into 10:00 Rounds (Any remaining time in the round was rest)

00:00-10:00 "Grace"
30 x Clean and Jerk (60Kg)

Partnered with one of the coaches and she wanted to try and get the fastest round times of the day! We finished Grace in 2:44.

10:00-20:00 "Diane"
21 - 15 - 9
Deadlift (100Kg)
Handstand Pressups (20kg Plates)

Unrelenting speed on this meant we completed in 2:57.

20:00-30:00 "Karen"
150 x Wallballs

With 3 no reps between us we finished in 4:55. So with a perfect set of 150 including transitions you could probably knock maybe 30 secs off (Assuming you count right!)

30:00-40:00 "Fran"

21 - 15 - 9
Thrusters (42.5Kg)
Pullups

One of the more well known girl workouts and we crushed through it in 3:03. With me being able to cycle pullups I did the majority while she smashed out more thrusters.

40:00-50:00 "Jackie"
1Km Row
50 x Thrusters (20Kg)
30 x Pullups

Last workout and put the pedal down. I did 750m of the row as my partner was not the strongest rower but she made up for it by doing 40 of the thrusters. I then did 26 of the 30 pullups to finish in 6:17.

So much fun, and hopefully more workouts are planned along these lines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom