Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Soldato
I'm posting here as it isn't a discussion about the actual football, which would belong in The Sports section.

The backlash is gaining some momentum as we get closer to kick off, and I was thinking how amazing it would be if some of the actual footballers could muster the courage to make a statement against this awful decision to host in that awful country.

Options could be:
  • A player genuinely coming out during the tournament. I mean that would be truly an amazing moment, absolutely iconic.
  • Goal celebrations with the players kissing each other, preferably a wee peck on the lips.
  • Fans flying rainbow flags and similar.
What a an opportunity this is - surely it won't be missed? What other awesome gay humour could we see..?

Edit to add the tweet that inspired the thread...

P.s I'm sure the female fans could stage a protest, too - maybe demonstrating independent thought without their man's permission.

This tournament could be awesome for all the rights reasons :)

Last edited:
their country their rules. but wc should never have been given to them and once it was, any player with the moral fortitude to do any of the things you suggest would have refused to go or spoken out already.

edit: i should also add, joe lycett is an absolute tool. nice of him to offer to shred 10 grand, nice for him that he has 10 grand to just shred. utter knob heed.

Last edited:
Let's face it that won't happen, what will happen is:

Everyone will be told focus on the football and respect another country's culture despite your outrage.
England will get knocked out in the quarter finals to the might of someone such as Japan.
A couple of more outgoing gay fans will get arrested for 6 years for hand holding during the national anthems and be front page news for 3 minutes.
Gareth Southgate will be fired and everyone in the UK will forget the finals.
Brazil will win and ultimately won't care about the human rights anyway.
The gay couple will be released shortly afterwards and some potentially money laundering Quatari's siezed yacht will be returned.

Let's face it that won't happen.....
exactly, anyone who was going to do anything would have done it by now. no player is 'coming out' in that backward hell hole of a country, no player is kissing on the lips after scoring. joe lycett will not shred 10grand and the world will carry on. the WC should have been boycotted by those more tolerant, less homophobic countries.

I doubt anything will happen.

The time to protest is by not going.

The WC could have been taken off them before it got this close. I'm sure other countries could have made some deals together to decide who will be a replacement host.

If there was a country that made heterosexuality illegal, I wouldn't dare go there, kiss my wife in the street, flaunt our relationship and tell them they were doing it wrongly. What an hugely self-centered thing to do that would be.
We also wouldn't choose to hold a major sporting event in such a place. Unless of course enough money changed hands.

I haven't heard of the guy, so I'll just believe @Thekwango when he says that he's a knob.
he is, think he started off life as a comedian. then shifted over to some sort of drama queen version of esther rantzen - consumer champion type - but in reality it was just a vehicle for him to try and be funny.

edit: should add, i used to find him quite funny but then i think the novelty of him wore off.

Last edited:
Clearly FIFA were bribed over this. They should never have given it to a country that is so at odds to their values and teams should be protesting and doing what they can about this. But appreciate their hands are tied somewhat.

We should absolutely call out countries who have such backdated views and apply what pressure we have to change it. Simply saying “their country, their rules” isn’t good enough. Rights to a relationship is a human right and isn’t down to culture.

We should absolutely call out countries who have such backdated views and apply what pressure we have to change it. Simply saying “their country, their rules” isn’t good enough. Rights to a relationship is a human right and isn’t down to culture.

The other side to that is that Qatar is a muslim country and the freedom of religion or belief is also a human right. As you say, the WC shouldnt have ever gone to them and they are backward and outdated views but they should be allowed to have them if it forms part of their religious views.

Simply saying “their country, their rules” isn’t good enough. Rights to a relationship is a human right and isn’t down to culture.
ordinarily i would agree with you but once the decision was taken to host it there and once the countries all decided they would participate as normal all chance to make a stand or put pressure on this backward nation passed at least as far as using football goes. for what it's worth i'll not be watching any of it, despite being a huge football fan.
at the very least we needed a big name, current player to announce they would be unavailable for selection for their country while the WC was on in qatar to shake things up. sadly that never happened.

Back
Top Bottom