Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Whilst that would be a wonderful by-product if it happened, it isn't specifically what protest is aiming to achieve. The priority here is to send a clear message to institutions like FIFA that our hard fought freedoms and culture isn't for sale to countries like that - the toll of people who have literally died to facilitate this tournament is truly disgusting. It can't be ignored for fear of upsetting those who view that culture as acceptable.
FIFA are already aware of all that. they don't care. very little seems to stop the corruption within FIFA so a few of us having a hissy fit is most certainly going to do the square root of **** all.
that no player, as far as i can tell, has refused to step out of their WC squad shows what footballers think of it all, they either don't care, or they (and their countries football association) are getting their pockets well oiled.

Don't like it and don't think in this day and age "their country and their culture", etc. is a good enough excuse but at the same time I'm not OK on pressure being put on individuals over taking a stand against it, etc. - people's lives can be complicated and it is easy for us sitting in our chairs at home to say they should be stepping out against it.

(FIFA should be getting the flack for this).

Last edited:
FIFA are already aware of all that. they don't care. very little seems to stop the corruption within FIFA so a few of us having a hissy fit is most certainly going to do the square root of **** all.
that no player, as far as i can tell, has refused to step out of their WC squad shows what footballers think of it all, they either don't care, or they (and their countries football association) are getting their pockets well oiled.
The tournament hasn't even started yet - with the world's cameras pointed at the place for a few weeks then there is an abundance of opportunity for football fans around the world to express their opinion. I don't agree that we should turn a blind eye and conform simply because decisions were made previously.

There is only one reason why Qatar would want the tournament, and that's to raise their global profile as a tourist destination. Now that they've invited the world in, it should be demonstrated that they should be careful what they wish for, particularly when they are prolific purveyors of human suffering.

Last edited:
Such a weird decision to have the world Cup in Qatar, our societies are just not compatible and it will just lead to fallings-out on both sides (which is kind of the opposite of what international sport is supposedly about...). Westerners will dislike Qatar having been made aware of their regressive outlook on sexuality and human rights, and Quataris will dislike the West for interfering and criticising their own domestic politics.

I imagine a lot of western diplomats are a bit anxious about the potential fallout from this...

The tournament hasn't even started yet - with the world's cameras pointed at the place for a few weeks then there is an abundance of opportunity for football fans around the world to express their opinion. I don't agree that we should turn a blind eye and conform simply because decisions were made previously.

There is only one reason why Qatar would want the tournament, and that's to raise their global profile as a tourist destination. Now that they've invited the world in, it should be demonstrated that they should be careful what they wish for, particularly when they are prolific purveyors of human suffering.
what, exactly, do you think football fans around the world can do? their opinions mean **** all to Qatari government. they barely listen to their own people, why in gods name would they listen to football fans?
the opportunity to do something was when the decision was taken to give them the WC. players could have come out and said, 'i won't be playing if its there'.....fan associations could have come out and said they would not endorse or advise any fans to travel etc etc.......nothing any fans say or do now will make one iota of difference in Qatar.

what, exactly, do you think football fans around the world can do? their opinions mean **** all to Qatari government. they barely listen to their own people, why in gods name would they listen to football fans?
the opportunity to do something was when the decision was taken to give them the WC. players could have come out and said, 'i won't be playing if its there'.....fan associations could have come out and said they would not endorse or advise any fans to travel etc etc.......nothing any fans say or do now will make one iota of difference in Qatar.

Yes, it's almost like some people here have never been to an Islamic country.

They don't give a pneumatic, water-based ****. Protest and dissent all you like, you'll end up at the receiving end of a water cannon or in jail.

We should absolutely call out countries who have such backdated views
As backdated as their views and principals may be

You lot keep saying this, but bum-love has been about since Ancient Greece. The idea of Marriage and the family unit seems to the new-fangled fad if we take the timeline of thousands of years!

So who are you lot to say that they're the backwards one? Just because you don't like it?

Last edited:
I already explained this in my previous post - they can demonstrate to FIFA and Qatar that using the tournament as a vehicle to promote the country was a massive mistake.

Yes, it's almost like some people here have never been to an Islamic country.

They don't give a pneumatic, water-based ****. Protest and dissent all you like, you'll end up at the receiving end of a water cannon or in jail.
quite so. if, however, we had made a song and dance when it was announced Qatar was getting the WC and multiple high profile players had pulled out, maybe, just maybe then FIFA would have had to have done something such as taking it back from them. now that might have prompted some sort of response from Qatar but a load of fans moaning and waving rainbow flags. yea that'll teach those backward Qatari's.
i even winced when i watched the news last night about the england and wales teams flying out in planes called Rain Bow (or whatever is was) utterly pointless and to be truthful embarrassing. the statement to make was 'we will not play in a country where human rights are so obviously ignored' but hey, money talks.

Absolutely, have you watched Fifa Uncovered on Netflix? Corrupt to the core.

As backdated as their views and principals may be, who are we to say they should change their own country just because we want to visit? If I had a friend who brought their children over and they jumped on the sofa, scribbled on the walls, peed in the plants and screamed the place down and I said you can't do that in my house, stop - "but we get to do this in our house" was the reply, would you bend and allow it? Of course not.

It's simple - don't go there. Perhaps, given enough time the country will see that their views and laws are incongruent with the rest of modern society and will learn to change. Or give them money, that seems to work.
Because we treat humans properly and respect their right to fundamental rights like rights to a relationship and not live in servitude.

Likewise when olympics were held in China, we called them out for their treatment of minorities. It’s absolutely right to take a stand. Qatar shouldn’t be allowed to get away with their awful abuses and promote itself as a hotspot in the way they want. People shouldn’t be going to these countries built by slaves and where people are routinely arrested and punished for being gay and not being aware of this and not trying to elicit the conversation and make change. I’m sure there are plenty within the country that don’t like these views and need outsiders to speak up. Just look at Iran. It’s not right, it’s not humane and just saying “nowt we can do” isn’t helping. It’s cliche, but we can either be part of the solution or we are part of the problem.

When in Rome...

Not sure they would like what the Romans got up to with regards to other men. Perhaps their prophet would be on board with the underage kids thing though...

Clearly FIFA were bribed over this. They should never have given it to a country that is so at odds to their values and teams should be protesting and doing what they can about this. But appreciate their hands are tied somewhat.

We should absolutely call out countries who have such backdated views and apply what pressure we have to change it. Simply saying “their country, their rules” isn’t good enough. Rights to a relationship is a human right and isn’t down to culture.

They are not at odds with FIFAs values at all. FIFAs values are money, money and money. In fact I would go so far as to say I probably have more respect for Qatar than I do FIFA because at least they are honest about what they think and care about. FIFA is like most corporations. They care about things that might impact their public perception insofar as their public perception makes them more or less money.

and that changed things in China how?
unfortunately it didn’t, and there are lots of reasons why it didn’t. But just because it didn’t change doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and protest and call out these regimes.
Let’s never criticise anyone or anything or protest anything ever again incase it doesn’t immediately change things. That’s your argument and it’s absurd.

Because we treat humans properly and respect their right to fundamental rights like rights to a relationship and not live in servitude.

Likewise when olympics were held in China, we called them out for their treatment of minorities. It’s absolutely right to take a stand.

When was the last time we actually took a stand and not almost entirely for our own benefit. Did we boycott the Olympics? Do we still trade with China, use Arab states oil etc. Condemnation is just like people tutting under their breath at someone doing something they don't like. Doesn't do anything.

Back
Top Bottom