Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

I think it's seriously disrespectful. It's their country and their culture. You don't have to like the rules to play by them.

This, ultimately. We, over here, may not agree with their way of life and can stand on whatever morale high-ground we think we have over them but the fact of the matter is fans will be visiting their country and should either respect the rules of the land or not visit. You shouldn't expect a country, regardless of how backwards you think they are, to just throw out their customs and beliefs for a few weeks for the sake of a sporting competition.

The blame lies with FIFA for awarding it to the country. They're not complete idiots. Corrupt the the core? For sure. Complete idiots? Unlikely. They would've known exactly how this was going to play out but presumably Qatar gave them a few million/billion reasons to award it to them.

I think it's seriously disrespectful. It's their country and their culture. You don't have to like the rules to play by them.
It's an utter disgrace that the tournament was awarded to that country, and the treatment of migrant workers in particular has been testament to that unforgivable mistake. It's a festival of football and the fans and players have every right to protest this corruption.

I'm posting here as it isn't a discussion about the actual football, which would belong in The Sports section.

The backlash is gaining some momentum as we get closer to kick off, and I was thinking how amazing it would be if some of the actual footballers could muster the courage to make a statement against this awful decision to host in that awful country.

Options could be:
  • A player genuinely coming out during the tournament. I mean that would be truly an amazing moment, absolutely iconic.
  • Goal celebrations with the players kissing each other, preferably a wee peck on the lips.
  • Fans flying rainbow flags and similar.
What a an opportunity this is - surely it won't be missed? What other awesome gay humour could we see..?

Edit to add the tweet that inspired the thread...

P.s I'm sure the female fans could stage a protest, too - maybe demonstrating independent thought without their man's permission.

This tournament could be awesome for all the rights reasons :)

Like a lot of people in the LGBTQ+ community, he's just an attention seeking narcissist, it's like me saying I'll burn half a million if Ana De Armas doesn't sleep with me, and I don't hear anything back

Beckham doesn't owe any time, energy or response of any kind, but this Joe person continues to stamp his feet like a petulant child. He need to get over himself

This is what annoyed me about the flak James Cleverly got for his advice to travelling fans.

He wasn’t supporting Qatar in any way, he was doing his job and advising British tourists how to stay safe and avoid serious problems.

Entitled people being entitled... It's like when Brits go to a foreign country then get all butthurt that they can't get a Full English Breakfast.

Yeah just read about it....not far off what we allow here considering those states generally require parental consent and Scotland does not once 16 is reached.

Anyways, back to the topic - who are we to demand another country change its laws...
We aren’t demanding it, but we shouldn’t be awarding them prestigious events if they don’t uphold reasonable values and ideals that the event holders themselves respect.
They can have whatever views they want and if they are at odds with ours then they should be ostricised (I legit don’t know how to spell this and now just can’t get the idea of ostriches in turbans out my head)…

Anyways, back to the topic - who are we to demand another country change its laws...
Whilst that would be a wonderful by-product if it happened, it isn't specifically what protest is aiming to achieve. The priority here is to send a clear message to institutions like FIFA that our hard fought freedoms and culture isn't for sale to countries like that - the toll of people who have literally died to facilitate this tournament is truly disgusting. It can't be ignored for fear of upsetting those who view that culture as acceptable.

Last edited:
We aren’t demanding it, but we shouldn’t be awarding them prestigious events if they don’t uphold reasonable values and ideals that the event holders themselves respect.
They can have whatever views they want and if they are at odds with ours then they should be ostricised (I legit don’t know how to spell this and now just can’t get the idea of ostriches in turbans out my head)…

But they were awarded it so it's a moot point.

You stated that:
We should absolutely call out countries who have such backdated views and apply what pressure we have to change it.

It's too late for that... The correct way to do that was to refuse giving them the tournament. That time has now passed and so trying to now force them to change their laws and culture is all that's left which is none of our business...Trying to close the stable door once the horse has bolted and all that.

If the participating countries are really that against it then they should put their money where their mouths are and pull out of the tournament altogether. Anything else is just hot air

This has the potential to be a really interesting thread and one I'd like to stay around. Don't wreck it for me and everyone else, especially whilst I have the ability to remove your posting rights.

Clearly FIFA were bribed over this. They should never have given it to a country that is so at odds to their values and teams should be protesting and doing what they can about this. But appreciate their hands are tied somewhat.

Absolutely, have you watched Fifa Uncovered on Netflix? Corrupt to the core.

We should absolutely call out countries who have such backdated views and apply what pressure we have to change it. Simply saying “their country, their rules” isn’t good enough. Rights to a relationship is a human right and isn’t down to culture.

As backdated as their views and principals may be, who are we to say they should change their own country just because we want to visit? If I had a friend who brought their children over and they jumped on the sofa, scribbled on the walls, peed in the plants and screamed the place down and I said you can't do that in my house, stop - "but we get to do this in our house" was the reply, would you bend and allow it? Of course not.

It's simple - don't go there. Perhaps, given enough time the country will see that their views and laws are incongruent with the rest of modern society and will learn to change. Or give them money, that seems to work.

Back
Top Bottom