Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Soldato
I'm posting here as it isn't a discussion about the actual football, which would belong in The Sports section.

The backlash is gaining some momentum as we get closer to kick off, and I was thinking how amazing it would be if some of the actual footballers could muster the courage to make a statement against this awful decision to host in that awful country.

Options could be:
  • A player genuinely coming out during the tournament. I mean that would be truly an amazing moment, absolutely iconic.
  • Goal celebrations with the players kissing each other, preferably a wee peck on the lips.
  • Fans flying rainbow flags and similar.
What a an opportunity this is - surely it won't be missed? What other awesome gay humour could we see..?

Edit to add the tweet that inspired the thread...

P.s I'm sure the female fans could stage a protest, too - maybe demonstrating independent thought without their man's permission.

This tournament could be awesome for all the rights reasons :)

Last edited:
I think it's seriously disrespectful. It's their country and their culture. You don't have to like the rules to play by them.
It's an utter disgrace that the tournament was awarded to that country, and the treatment of migrant workers in particular has been testament to that unforgivable mistake. It's a festival of football and the fans and players have every right to protest this corruption.

Anyways, back to the topic - who are we to demand another country change its laws...
Whilst that would be a wonderful by-product if it happened, it isn't specifically what protest is aiming to achieve. The priority here is to send a clear message to institutions like FIFA that our hard fought freedoms and culture isn't for sale to countries like that - the toll of people who have literally died to facilitate this tournament is truly disgusting. It can't be ignored for fear of upsetting those who view that culture as acceptable.

Last edited:
FIFA are already aware of all that. they don't care. very little seems to stop the corruption within FIFA so a few of us having a hissy fit is most certainly going to do the square root of **** all.
that no player, as far as i can tell, has refused to step out of their WC squad shows what footballers think of it all, they either don't care, or they (and their countries football association) are getting their pockets well oiled.
The tournament hasn't even started yet - with the world's cameras pointed at the place for a few weeks then there is an abundance of opportunity for football fans around the world to express their opinion. I don't agree that we should turn a blind eye and conform simply because decisions were made previously.

There is only one reason why Qatar would want the tournament, and that's to raise their global profile as a tourist destination. Now that they've invited the world in, it should be demonstrated that they should be careful what they wish for, particularly when they are prolific purveyors of human suffering.

Last edited:
what, exactly, do you think football fans around the world can do? their opinions mean **** all to Qatari government. they barely listen to their own people, why in gods name would they listen to football fans?
the opportunity to do something was when the decision was taken to give them the WC. players could have come out and said, 'i won't be playing if its there'.....fan associations could have come out and said they would not endorse or advise any fans to travel etc etc.......nothing any fans say or do now will make one iota of difference in Qatar.
I already explained this in my previous post - they can demonstrate to FIFA and Qatar that using the tournament as a vehicle to promote the country was a massive mistake.

This is what these people don't get. Qatar finds our views as abhorrent as we find theirs. We ain't gonna change are opinion and nor are they.
It's not about changing Qatar, it's about changing FIFA and any other western entity that thinks we should be doing business by staging tournaments with countries like this and expecting our residents to travel there and contribute to their economy.

Last edited:
You're misinterpreting what I meant but perhaps I wasn't clear.

Taking a stand after the agreement and contract was signed is pointless. The most effective way of demonstrating solidarity is by not awarding big events to places we don't align with.

Slave trade happened. It's in the past. We move on. Having a chip on your shoulder because of times past achieves nothing. Educating the present and future generations has more impact that nostalgia. Avoiding this sort of thing from happening in the future is more important than mourning the past.
I completely disagree with that on the basis that it's the actual agreement to hold the tournament there that is the issue, therefore stating that any protest is meaningless after the contract is agreed is absurd.

what protests did you organise or attend when Qatar was announced as the host nation? what protests did you organise or attend when you found out about the slave labour being used to build the stadia?

the only thing absurd here is people like you, all of a sudden wanting to protest now. where were you when there was a bargaining chip on our side we could use? how many threads did you create back then? where was joe lycett with his blackmailing tactics then? or are you all just getting all worked up now because it's makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside?
out of curiosity, what protest(s) are you planning or taking part in?
I'm Scottish, therefore any participation in a World Cup constitutes passive spectator at best. ;)

To address your rant; my personal capacity to intervene is limited to educating people like yourself via conversations like this. The people who can actually influence the situation in any meaningful way are people like David Beckham, hence the campaign. Consider Joe Lycett the Dirk Diggler of the Twitter campaign against Beckham; he can't personally intervene but he can contribute by educating with good humour and patience.

And, you're welcome. :)

So what are you implying he can do:
Exactly what I said within the words you quoted; influence the situation.

To elaborate, he should not have accepted the request to endorse the tournament with his presence as a paid ambassador. It's a cynical move by the organisers to buy credibility. If Beckham were to pull out (oo-er) it would a little bit late in the day yes, but still be hugely symbolic and damaging reputationally for Qatar and FIFA.

The fact that Beckham has championed gay rights in the past has led to his being in the pink spotlight for this.

Last edited:
You don't think the entire situation is damaging enough for Qatar and fifa that it needs a retired footballer to disassociate himself for the government and governing body to take note? Mate, give over.
You're describing him as "a retired footballer" when the post you quoted clearly elaborated on the reasons why his selection is relevant for this protest/campaign. I've communicated in good faith with you, but you're at the point of trolling now therefore I'm not responding to you any further.

• Haha
Reactions: NVP
Back
Top Bottom