Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

There is and I just made one:

That is just fact, that isn't flawed, if it was so heinous then boycott it, instead, there are multiple BBC employees flying over there to report on it, they absolutely are promoting their coverage of the event too, just as Beckham is promoting the event.

You're trying to defend the indefensible here, that Beckham should be some target for criticism and no one else, he's clearly being made into a scapegoat and there are many many other people and organisations participating in this world cup while also purportedly supporting LGBT rights.
Babes, I'm an open minded person, but if there's one hole I won't do it's a Dowiehole.

We're done here. ;)

I just find it all a bit funny how we tell ourselves that our empty gestures are powerful and impactful. I especially like taking the knee for 10s before the game as the commentators spout crap like “sending the strongest kind of message that discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated” as we very much tolerate it in Qatar.
Taking the knee is literally sending a message against racism, and the very fact that a commentator might interpret that message in a different way from you is the point - to prompt a conversation.

The commentators say that because they have been told to say that. Its a hollow gesture that they do because it takes a few seconds. Who is it sending a message to? Whos mind is it changing? How is it "the strongest kind of message". As I have said, its the modern performative BS that people lap up because they can pat themselves on the back for being "an ally" whilst not actually having to do anything that takes time or effort.
You're taking it all far too literally. The campaign against racism is long and complicated, and things like the knee will come and go as society evolves. There doesn't have to be a premeditated definitive conclusion to be reached - the fact that you're talking about it is success in itself.

The commentators say that because they have been told to say that.
Firstly, you're assuming that like it's fact - and that's significant because it's making the implied assumption that that would be a bad thing; it wouldn't.

Its a hollow gesture that they do because it takes a few seconds
Again, this is not fact; it's your interpretation and that's fine. You've been prompted to think about it, which is good.

Who is it sending a message to? Whos mind is it changing? How is it "the strongest kind of message"
All rhetorical, and any answer is dismissed by default. Not helpful.

As I have said, its the modern performative BS that people lap up because they can pat themselves on the back for being "an ally" whilst not actually having to do anything that takes time or effort.
Like Rosa Parks, what Kaepernick did took courage. Those who follow will inevitably carry less weight as time goes on. However, the fact that it's travelled across continents and endured for years is testament to its impact.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Obviously they're not sufficient reasons for something to have impact. Memes travel globally, for years, yet they aren't considered to be 'impactful' for those reasons. What actual impact did it have?
A meme is exactly what I'm claiming it to be. What Rosa Parks did was a meme. If you think a meme isn't impactful then I suggest you read Dr Dawkins book from 1976, because that's where the term was first conceived and I suspect you may be confusing it with pictures of cats.

What I don't understand with all this is why we're only having the conversations now. Qatar was selected over 10 years ago. Why weren't these issues so high profile back then?

Also, if FIFA is such a poor corrupt organisation, why don't all the big footballing countries just get together and form a breakaway organisation and run their own world cup.
It's been criticised from the start, it's just getting much more publicity now that the tournament has kicked off and the world's media is fixed on events.

Well, I really don't know what to make of this. The lack of alcohol makes sense, but the choice of fan the author selected to focus on is... Interesting.

...as he gazed at a vast panorama of England supporters around him in Doha – and saw so many faces looking like his own...

Maybe paid actors in the stands is the future after all. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom