John Lasseter: Pixar founder on leave over 'unwanted hugs'

Soldato
Oh purleaze!

Everyone knows Mary had an affair behind Josephs back, but she didn't expect her lie to get THAT out of hand.

Say my mrs came home tonight from work and said "I'm pregnant, the baby isn't yours.....I don't know who's it is, but I did see a bright star in the sky so maybe it's that". If I believe it, it wouldn't be her going into a straight jacket, it would be me.

Joseph was an idiot, sorry.....but he was
I appreciate you're being facetious, but no... why would a heavily pregnant woman be travelling on a donkey from her native town if she already had a (alleged dumbass of a) partner? Both Mary and Joseph were ostracised from their homestead because he got her up the duff when he shouldn't have. They arrive at Bethlehem and "ohh noo.. we're perfectly innocent. It's a miracle!"

He was a skilled a labourer for the time, he couldn't have been that stupid. Those who bought it were the real mugs..

B@

Last edited:
Associate
Am i the only one that thinks this is getting a little out of control? In general, not just with this latest story.
Not if they are all genuine it isn't

I do however have my doubts.

In past roles I have been touched/hugged without really wanting to be touched or hugged but didn't really think it was anything to complain about or make a fuss but I appreciate that others have different boundaries/feelings on the subject. Being a man may also mean that I don't feel threatened by this kind of contact as much as female would be.

Associate
Even if the 'unwanted hugs' are just that (doubtful), who would walk up to someone at their workplace and do it without being personally close to them? If I did that I'd half expect to be reported to HR, as to me it's just plain weird in the workplace.

Associate
Even if the 'unwanted hugs' are just that (doubtful), who would walk up to someone at their workplace and do it without being personally close to them? If I did that I'd half expect to be reported to HR, as to me it's just plain weird in the workplace.

When I started working, which was about a decade ago - hugs, hands on shoulders and tactile contact were entirely normal even as a new starter and for the most part innocent. Yes, there's always one or two peeps trying it on but a decade ago it seemed people had better things to do with their lives than obsess over every minute touch or glance. Could it be that people now want a workplace with automatons and artificial interaction, much like how they live their personal lives with shallow friends and shallow experiences? I wonder.

Caporegime
When I started working, which was about a decade ago - hugs, hands on shoulders and tactile contact were entirely normal even as a new starter and for the most part innocent. Yes, there's always one or two peeps trying it on but a decade ago it seemed people had better things to do with their lives

It sounds like you are defending the exact office culture that makes women in particular feel very uncomfortable.

Were men putting their hands on the shoulders of other men for instance? What is "tactile contact"?

Soldato
When I started working, which was about a decade ago - hugs, hands on shoulders and tactile contact were entirely normal even as a new starter and for the most part innocent. Yes, there's always one or two peeps trying it on but a decade ago it seemed people had better things to do with their lives than obsess over every minute touch or glance. Could it be that people now want a workplace with automatons and artificial interaction, much like how they live their personal lives with shallow friends and shallow experiences? I wonder.
are you a woman?

B@

Associate
Could it be that people now want a workplace with automatons and artificial interaction, much like how they live their personal lives with shallow friends and shallow experiences? I wonder.

Norms change. I think people are less likely to put up with things they don't like...

Also, I started working about a decade ago as well, it's never been the norm in any place I've worked. Perhaps I've been working with robots without knowing it.

Soldato
Tbh, when I walk into the office in Germany, EVERYONE hugs you... it is just the way they greet each other. Doesn't bother me, especially some of the female team :D

Yeah it's fine as long as the females are attractive, if they were unattractive I believe you can complain about it in 5 years time and ruin their career.

Soldato
Tbh, when I walk into the office in Germany, EVERYONE hugs you... it is just the way they greet each other. Doesn't bother me, especially some of the female team :D

I have noticed most people in Germany are rather huggy I always thought the stereotype was cold. Was a bit weird.

Fyi your website in your sig seems to be blocked by google safe browsing at the moment.

Man of Honour
“I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form,” he writes. “No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.”

Clearly not just 'unwanted hugs' as the headline suggests.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...uct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

Gives a much better view of what he's being accused of.

Caporegime
Oh purleaze!

Everyone knows Mary had an affair behind Josephs back, but she didn't expect her lie to get THAT out of hand.

Say my mrs came home tonight from work and said "I'm pregnant, the baby isn't yours.....I don't know who's it is, but I did see a bright star in the sky so maybe it's that". If I believe it, it wouldn't be her going into a straight jacket, it would be me.

Joseph was an idiot, sorry.....but he was

I’ve never understood that part of the story.

So Joseph and Mary were married, but never consummated it?

Or Joseph and Mary were just “friends” travelling together alone to another city. Perhaps the parents weren’t too happy when they found out their unmarried daughter got herself up the duff by her boyfriend and came up with this story about “god”?

Or the alternative idea of “Virgin” is that she hadn’t properly hit puberty yet. That’s would be a shock for those complaining about a certain other prophet. :D

Anyway, back to the actual thread. Hugging a little different to a handshake. Especially if it involves wandering hands.

Man of Honour
There are people at work that put their hands on your shoulders as a genuine gesture, something funny or happy happens, or the chat is rather upbeat or something. I can't believe any normal person would consider that to be anything but mildly annoying at best?

Yea, I am sure "unwanted hugs" is a euphamism and his hands went much further than that.

Honest accidents can happen, you know!

MTV told us so back in the day

Associate
We'll be needing written acceptances for handshakes soon :D

A handshake is always offered and you are not forced to reciprocate.
A hug can be made with no chance to refuse it.

A woman potentially has large breasts that will be squeezed up against in a hug.

If a man habitually puts his hands on the shoulders of the more attractive women and does not do it to men, that would look like sexual harassment. Equally if a woman did it.

Last edited:
Associate
It sounds like you are defending the exact office culture that makes women in particular feel very uncomfortable.

Were men putting their hands on the shoulders of other men for instance? What is "tactile contact"?

women feel uncomfortable when someone puts their hand on their shoulder, hugs them or shakes their hand? Only the hyper sensitive snow flakes that seem to be everywhere these days, but certainly not the women I've known growing up and not the women I worked with - at least not until now and low and behold it's the 25's and under which are whaling away at every opportunity they get with claims of sexual harassment or discrimination. We have a 24 year old girl in our team who's gone complaining to HR of sexual harassment because one of the Directors in the team asked her to take a new photo with a grey background instead of the blue one she has in hers currently. No joke. The same was asked for 2 others who have their photos with a blue background and not the standard grey one that is now company standard - not that she stopped to ask as she went straight to HR to complain after the request was made. Needless to say the decision has been taken to sack her over the coming 6 months as we simply have no more patience for individuals like this.

Norms change. I think people are less likely to put up with things they don't like...

Also, I started working about a decade ago as well, it's never been the norm in any place I've worked. Perhaps I've been working with robots without knowing it.

I started my career in investment banking which is the stereotypical setting for apparently predatory behaviour but I can honestly say we never ever had an issue. In fact we had an amazing team which included 1 male Managing Director, 2 male directors, 2 female directors, 4 female VP's, 2 female associates and 4 male analysts including me. Putting your hand on a person's shoulder, leaning over their desk discussing thing or even hugs in the morning/evening were entirely normal - the female VP's even used to invite us lower ranking fella's to their places for movies on the weekend etc and we are all still friends to this day and till meet up regularly. We didn't start as 'friends', we started as colleagues but building genuine rapport was the product of that human tactile connection.

Actually, we were having a discussion about this last week and even the girls thought this notion of hand on shoulders, or touching as sexual harassment was absurd. It simply wasn't an issue back then and I can't see why it would or should be an issue now. Actual sexual harassment is abhorrent, but touching someone's shoulder in the normal course of your interactions with them? get real

Last edited:
Caporegime
A handshake is always offered and you are not forced to reciprocate.
A hug can be made with no chance to refuse it.

A woman potentially has large breasts that will be squeezed up against in a hug.

If a man habitually puts his hands on the shoulders of the more attractive women and does not do it to men, that would look like sexual harassment. Equally if a woman did it.

Wow, hug rape.

It's only a matter of time until someone comes up with being sexually harassed with by being glanced at and we're all going to prison.

We had a work's party last week where hugs were had (including female).

2 weeks ago, I went to Trancecoda and ended up hugging friends but also strangers (including female).

Today, I probably brushed past some passengers while trying to find a seat (including female).

To law enforcement: Go ahead, take it from me.

jU1IE4C.jpg

Back
Top Bottom