Julian Assange cannot be extradited

Soldato
Weird how committing war crimes & crimes against humanity gets you a nice career & retirement (Bush & Blair), while simply exposing the truth of what happened gets you 175 years in jail - he did literally nothing wrong.

Humanity really needs to have a word with itself to be honest, committing crimes gets you no consequences? bizarre.

Whats bizarre is people like you keep repeating this line like a load of sheep as if its true, starting a war (regardless whether you think it was just or not) doesn't make people war criminals.

Slobodan milosevic, Saddam Hussein, Bashar al assad.... these are war criminals.

Soldato
When he was just exposing governments I think he did a public service, although he no doubt put people in real danger. However once he started getting involved in politics with his efforts in the 2016 US elections he just because a pawn of the very people he once claimed to want to expose.

Caporegime
Here is a question that as got me thinking, and maybe you know the answer...

Assange as been indicted in the US with 18 charges, 17 under the Espionage Act.

Can you explain to me how a non-US citizen is charged under the Espionage Act? It's a law that applies to US citizens. How can he be a traitor when its not a country he as any allegiance to?

The Espionage Act is not limited to US citizens, and ever since 1961 (when the phrasing was changed) it has applied to acts of espionage and interference with US foreign relations committed outside the US. So Assange has no defence on those grounds.

In 1919, SCOTUS also ruled that the Act does not compromise 1st amendment freedoms. That issue has been hotly debated, but the SCOTUS ruling has never been overturned.

I don’t know enough about the situation to really comment but I always assumed the notion he put peoples lives in danger was anti leak propaganda, but within the context of Snowden and how well he’s done things, it makes a lot of sense.

It's also true.

David Leigh and Luke Harding's history of WikiLeaks describes how journalists took Assange to Moro's, a classy Spanish restaurant in central London. A reporter worried that Assange would risk killing Afghans who had co-operated with American forces if he put US secrets online without taking the basic precaution of removing their names.

"Well, they're informants," Assange replied. "So, if they get killed, they've got it coming to them. They deserve it."

A silence fell on the table as the reporters realised that the man the gullible hailed as the pioneer of a new age of transparency was willing to hand death lists to psychopaths. They persuaded Assange to remove names before publishing the State Department Afghanistan cables. But Assange's disillusioned associates suggest that the failure to expose "informants" niggled in his mind.

...In Ethiopia, however, Assange has already claimed his first scalp. Argaw Ashine fled the country last week after WikiLeaks revealed that the reporter had spoken to an official from the American embassy in Addis Ababa about the regime's plans to intimidate the independent press.

WikiLeaks also revealed that a government official told Arshine about the planned assault on opposition journalists. Thus Assange and his colleagues not only endangered the journalist. They tipped off the cops that he had a source in the state apparatus.

(Source).

He probably is a dick, but that's not reason to extradite him to spend the rest of his life in solitary.

There's no evidence that Assange is facing the rest of his life in solitary. He also has the right to serve his term in Australia, pending Australian government approval. That's a far better deal than most people get.

When he was just exposing governments I think he did a public service, although he no doubt put people in real danger. However once he started getting involved in politics with his efforts in the 2016 US elections he just because a pawn of the very people he once claimed to want to expose.

^^ This.

Last edited:
Soldato
If we (as non US citizens, living outside the US) are governed by US laws, that's crazy.

The UK might as well pass a law "taxing all foreigners living abroad", solve our national debt problems at a stroke.

Caporegime
If we (as non US citizens, living outside the US) are governed by US laws, that's crazy.

The UK might as well pass a law "taxing all foreigners living abroad", solve our national debt problems at a stroke.

It's not a case of being governed by US laws. Every country in the world has legal authority to take legal action against people outside its borders who commit crimes against it.

Maybe they are doing a deal to protect Andrew going the other way?

Prince Andrew is not facing any charges in the US.

Last edited:
Caporegime

You are subject to the law of every country on Earth; usually, though, they can only carry out enforcement if you enter the country. Extradition treaties let countries obtain people in other countries that have broken their laws. In most cases these treaties are quite limited, however the UK has one of the world's most permissive (and one-sided) extradition treaties with the US.

Soldato
He probably is a dick, but that's not reason to extradite him to spend the rest of his life in solitary.

We should value whistle-blowers, when our governments are conspiring against their own people. They can also expose corruption and other illegal activities.

If we want whistle-blowers to effectively be banned, then we're saying we want unaccountable governments that can act (badly) with total impunity.

I don't want that.

Doing things like posting the personal details of soldiers/ex-solders on the internet isn't whistleblowing.

Why should the UK protect him. He isn't even a UK citizen, so he wouldn't be able to stay here even if they released him.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Doing things like posting the personal details of soldiers/ex-solders on the internet isn't whistleblowing.

Why should the UK protect him. He isn't even a UK citizen, so he wouldn't be able to stay here even if they released him.
There's a huge difference between protecting him and simply releasing him from prison so he can leave the country of his own volition. Big difference.

The UK doesn't need to protect him, but neither should it bundle him on a plane to the US.

Caporegime
The UK doesn't need to protect him, but neither should it bundle him on a plane to the US.

The UK has an extradition treaty with the US. It takes a lot of legal gymnastics to evade the legal obligations of an extradition treaty. The UK can't just say 'Nah, don't wanna.'

You are subject to the law of every country on Earth; usually, though, they can only carry out enforcement if you enter the country. Extradition treaties let countries obtain people in other countries that have broken their laws. In most cases these treaties are quite limited, however the UK has one of the world's most permissive (and one-sided) extradition treaties with the US.

^^ This.

I wonder if the people complaining about Assange's potential extradition made the same aggrieved noises when Malaysia obligingly extradited Richard Huckle for prosecution in the UK despite the fact that none of his crimes were committed there.

Caporegime
How can that possibly be true, otherwise there would be a single universal age of consent, for example.

If a British 16-year-old sleeps with another British 16-year-old whilst living in Holland, they've "broken" the law in part of the US.

However the US will not care about this in any way, shape or form.

Similarly I can download some software that violates a copyright agreement, and would technically be illegal in the US. However if I'm not a US citizen and the company is not a US company, again, I have broken US law but they will have no agency or jurisdiction whatsoever.

How on Earth can you be subject to US law where no party is a US citizen or other entity constituted in the US? I understand you already said they will be unable to enforce, but I would strongly question whether you are at all subject to their laws in the first place.

Caporegime
I wonder if the people complaining about Assange's potential extradition made the same aggrieved noises when Malaysia obligingly extradited Richard Huckle for prosecution in the UK despite the fact that none of his crimes were committed there.
"I wonder if the people complain about Assange's" alleged crimes against the US, are at all bothered about the fact that Anne Sacoolas will never set foot on UK soil despite being known to have killed a UK citizen through dangerous driving in the UK.

Or whether they just have a bee in their bonnet about Assange, as they have ably demonstrated throughout the thread. I do wonder whether such people are anti-whistleblowing in general, or simply believe that a person is automatically guilty when charged with "rape", etc. Because they seem to be very invested in their passionate dislike of Assange.

Caporegime
How can that possibly be true, otherwise there would be a single universal age of consent, for example.

Most laws are territorial: you can only break them in the territory of the country, others aren't. The UK, btw, can prosecute you for paedophile sex acts commited abroad, as for FGM. Hacking is considered to be carried out in the territory of the server regardless of where the hacker (although it can be both).

Back
Top Bottom