Jupiter Ascending (2014)

Soldato
Just got back from seeing this, went in with low expectations. Came out happy that it wasn't two hours wasted, yes it isn't on par with the Matrix but it's still a decent film on it's own.

The only thing that dig bug me slightly was how the end came up so quick like they had to finish it within two minutes without explaining how or why.

Soldato
Also went in with low expectations. Not the worst film, certainly not as bad as the reviews that have been coming in. It's standard space opera stuff though, nothing groundbreaking. I'd give it a 6.5/10.

Permabanned
I liked it. Story was a bit rushed in places, dialogue a bit hokey. Effects were great, concept art was great, very much Dune-esque in its vision of a galactic feudal imperium. Actually made me feel that perhaps it's about time someone applied modern movie making to Dune.

Mila Kunis is hot, Sean Bean is always great to watch.

Splicers were straight out of Meltdown Man from 2000AD so not very original for the most part, with ideas seemingly plucked at random, the 'angel' identifier was again plucked from the Sci-Fi back catalogue which I found a little disappointing but par for the Wachowski's who seem to hijack others ideas and reframe them as originality.

Overall though, it was a fun, action packed and visually gratifying couple of hours.

Soldato
Went to see it last weekend, as well as The Kingsman. The Kingsman was great, I really enjoyed it. We had something to eat, then went to see Jupiter Ascending and thought it was crap.

Soldato
The space station lifted from 2001 was very obviously sitting there in one scene. Not a 'blink and you'll miss it' easter egg at all. It's like G.Lucas' kids in the Star Wars prequel mugging to the camera!

Caporegime
Saw this today. Honestly can't see why it got such bad reviews? :confused:

I thought it was brilliant fun.

It isn't ground-breaking or anything but it is pretty good sci-fi stuff with an interesting concept and spectacular visuals.

I would give it a good 7.5/10.

Associate
Terrible film, made me groan out loud. all makeup and no natural beauty.

Adverts did a good job of miss direction, felt conned yet again by the Film studios.

I go to the pictures a lot.. and the ratio of good films that actually deliver is dropping :(

Caporegime
I thought it had a promising and epic universe but it couldn't get much across.
Too much time was spent on Earth.
It was corny. The dialogue was cheesy.

IT was beautiful and had some quality moments akin to the "5th Element" humour but overall it just fell a little too short.

Caporegime
I thought it had a promising and epic universe but it couldn't get much across.
Too much time was spent on Earth.
It was corny. The dialogue was cheesy.

IT was beautiful and had some quality moments akin to the "5th Element" humour but overall it just fell a little too short.

Indeed, i think the script could have been better to be honest.

Soldato
Saw it last night - went in with zero expectations.

Surprisingly good.

Ok the story is clichéd, shallow and predictable, but at least the visuals were stunning and the action sequences very well executed.

The ship designs were great, the jump sequences were amazing. Lot of respect to the artists/designers, I think they nailed the style/theme perfectly. In fact it felt a lot lime Thor 2 in places, just with more spaceships. Anyway, now I really want either CIG or FD to make an "Aegis" style police cruiser for either SC or ED. CIG already have the company name so just need to make a big brother to the Avenger. :D

Good to see Sean Bean in action for a decent chunk of the film, and call it a guilty pleasure but I kind of like Channing Tatum's acting style - sure he ain't going to win any awards but it's kind of like watching an 80s action flick.

And of course all 3 "bad guys" were amazing in their own right - with of course ER topping it off. After Theory of Everything and this I can't wait to see what he does next.
I will also say Jupiter Ascending (~7.5/10) > Guardians of the Galaxy (~6.5/10).

Soldato
I can't believe people are using Starship Troopers and Hunger Games as examples of *good* sci-fi? Pass the crack pipe, please :p
Yeah, Hunger Games is ****. I have no idea what people find good about that film.

Anyway regarding this film, I should add in places it reminded me a lot of Flash Gordon - just with more sugar coating and less cheese!. :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Saw it last night in 4DX. Wow what a roller coaster... the action scenes were intense with the chair punching me in the back, air blasting in the face with every shot fired. The scent part was great, the smell of flowers when they visit Sean Bean in his bee house, lots of smells of burning towards the end. Also got sprayed with water when they were fighting the ships in and around the water in Chicago.

Caporegime
Saw it last night in 4DX. Wow what a roller coaster... the action scenes were intense with the chair punching me in the back, air blasting in the face with every shot fired. The scent part was great, the smell of flowers when they visit Sean Bean in his bee house, lots of smells of burning towards the end. Also got sprayed with water when they were fighting the ships in and around the water in Chicago.

Doesn't sound like fun, tbh.

I don't want any of those things when I'm watching a movie. Not sure if that makes me a grumpy old man or not tho :p

Soldato
I wouldn't want any of that either. I would want go to and watch a film, not be part of some theme park ride that happens to include a film viewing.

If a film needs such nonsense for it to be more enjoyable, then it can't be a very good film in it's own right. ;)

Soldato
Yeah, I can see the 4DX being an "experience", but I'm not sure it makes the film better. It's like the difference between properly listening to a song and watching the video for the song. Sometimes you're watching the video and realise you're not listening to the song.

Back
Top Bottom