Jury Service (Do NOT turn this into a 'how to get out of jury service' thread)

Associate
I was amazed at how run down the court was. The historic parts of the building were lovely, but the "behind the scenes" rooms were all reminiscent of the 1980's / 90's as far as facilities and decor go.

That's true of every court I've seen. I think there must have been a period of investment in the 60's-70's, then barely anything since. Certainly a lot of courts in my area were built around that time (and often in conjunction with new police stations that came with force amalgamations).

I was at a magistrates yesterday and the temperature was stifling; there were fans running in the court rooms. I presume this is because the heating system only had one setting. This court was built in the mid seventies and when you walk around it, it's clear nothing substantial has been touched since it first opened. There's an amazing grade II listed crown court near me which has lots of beautiful features in the public areas and in the courts themselves, but the non-public areas are all very tired. It's not really fit for purpose any more (e.g. cramming several 80" screens and live link systems in to 200+ year old court rooms, uncomfortable wooden benches and almost non-existent HVAC), but it's highly unlikely anything will change.

Associate
Well that was a disappointment. Finished my two weeks (ish) yesterday. Got called for 3 panels across that period, made it into the courtroom, but never made the final twelve. I must have been one of only a handful that didn’t even get a case!

On the plus side I had nearly two weeks without work, and will be approximately £77.68 better off once I get my travel and subsistence reimbursed. lol :(
I did my 2 weeks recently and had 3 short trials in between lots of waiting around. An interesting experience seeing how the system all works in real life. A bit depressing though to see and hear about what some people get up to. I'm not sure how the expenses were calculated but I got £133 back.

Soldato
I'm not sure how the expenses were calculated but I got £133 back.
Short trials sound ok. They were kicking off a 10 weeker when I was on my last few days!

Expenses are just travel, plus £5.71 subsistence per day for lunch. Didn’t you read the literature :p

Associate
Short trials sound ok. They were kicking off a 10 weeker when I was on my last few days!

Expenses are just travel, plus £5.71 subsistence per day for lunch. Didn’t you read the literature :p
The £5.71 rings a bell but I've no idea how they decided on £133, I'll take it all the same :D

Soldato
Do they pay for parking if everywhere around is paid for parking?
I didn’t really pay attention to the parking talk as I was taking the tube. But I think they had a small car park you could claim from officially, maybe some surrounding roads that were ok to claim. But they definitely were saying you couldn’t claim if parked in XYZ which was clearly way more expensive. But yeah, London problems there really. I’m just glad it was only two stops on the tube for me. Quicker than going to work :o

Permabanned
I didn’t really pay attention to the parking talk as I was taking the tube. But I think they had a small car park you could claim from officially, maybe some surrounding roads that were ok to claim. But they definitely were saying you couldn’t claim if parked in XYZ which was clearly way more expensive. But yeah, London problems there really. I’m just glad it was only two stops on the tube for me. Quicker than going to work :o
Sorry mate I mean in general wherever you live/where the court is kinda thing, the courts near me for example there isn't free parking anywhere, so it'd suck if I ever got called up and they were expecting me to pay £12-18 a day...

Soldato
I did jury service - I can't remember the exact dates but was either earlier this year or back end of last year. There was the cheapest nasty tea and "coffee" provided - Not even a packet of biscuits!

In the end most people took their own stuff as it was that rank - Barely qualified as tea or coffee. One day we had one flask of boiled water to last us the entire day. Bear in mind it isn't just the Jury because up until the point it is selected you have 30+ people from the pool all sharing.

I was amazed at how run down the court was. The historic parts of the building were lovely, but the "behind the scenes" rooms were all reminiscent of the 1980's / 90's as far as facilities and decor go.

The first week I got to go home at lunch time most days as wasn't selected. You spend most of the time sitting in a room waiting - I think the latest I got sent home was 3pm. It was very boring.

Week 2 I did get selected. Trial had to restart on day 2 with a new Jury as it turned out one member knew a key witness, but it only became known after the initial evidence, so the first day got wasted. I was re-selected, which I wasn't overly happy about as it was a case involving "kids"..... Yuk.

Ultimately the experience felt very much like a "duty" to serve and I would do it again if called, but it isn't something I would say is enjoyable. I did get to be foreman though, which was kinda cool.
Guilty or not guilty? what did you say?

Soldato
Sorry mate I mean in general wherever you live/where the court is kinda thing, the courts near me for example there isn't free parking anywhere, so it'd suck if I ever got called up and they were expecting me to pay £12-18 a day...
Yeah no that's what I meant. They will reimburse you up to a point. E.g. maybe some cheap local parking, but not the overpriced NCP. They'll go through it on your first day.

Associate
Was summoned for jury service last year, and it was certainly an experience.

Just glad that I wasn't called for the first case that was read from the court (historic child abuse case) which apparently went on for weeks, leading to a guilty verdict.

I met some lovely people though, but it was scary just how quick some of our jury were to jump to a guilty verdict with zero actual evidence :eek:

I was in court for just under two weeks.

Associate
I'm half way through my first 2 week stint. I was the first to be picked and was literally shaking when I say the affirmation and I don't think many folk didn't trip over the work "solemnly"!

It is very stressful and quite intimidating looking at the folk in the gallery and the dock and even more stressful when delivering the guilty verdict.

Day off tomorrow - back to work - and back for it all again on Monday.

Lots of waiting and really not impressed by the organisation or general professionalism - nearly an hours wait for some photocopying one day and then again the next as the toner had apparently ran out.

Certainly an experience though :o

Soldato
I'm half way through my first 2 week stint. I was the first to be picked and was literally shaking when I say the affirmation and I don't think many folk didn't trip over the work "solemnly"!
It's incredible how nervous one can be with an experience like that - where you don't know what's coming. Yet go into the court for the second time and it's a piece of **** :p So funny how the human brain is wired.

Soldato

It is very stressful and quite intimidating looking at the folk in the gallery and the dock and even more stressful when delivering the guilty verdict.

Day off tomorrow - back to work - and back for it all again on Monday.

Lots of waiting and really not impressed by the organisation or general professionalism - nearly an hours wait for some photocopying one day and then again the next as the toner had apparently ran out.

Certainly an experience though :o
A FB friend is doing JS and he's brought in his iPad to play Football Manager as its a great time eater. He had to be there for 9am and he and his fellow jurors didn't get called into the court til around 11:30am. That's for 3 days in a row. Someone asked could they turn up later, no was the answer. As with the school traffic the time to travel there is doubled.

Associate
I've just finished my first week of Jury Service, the week mostly consisted of being told to be there for X time and then nothing to happen for another 3 hours or in the case of one day, sit round all day waiting and then sent home.

It's definitely been an interesting experience so far but there does seem to be a lack of organisation all over the place

Back
Top Bottom