Just Arrived! VSonic VSD3S

Soldato
OP
Aside from reading reviews on each and comparing/contrasting the two, I do not. You could do that, though - will give an indication of which suits you best.

I might, if Rids and I ever do the IEM review thread we briefly discussed - in which case I'll either send my VSonics to him or vice versa (or maybe I can get a review pair from Rock Jaw) - but that wont happen till after my exams at the earliest :p

Soldato
OP
They seem to have great prices but awful customer service, think I'll pass.

You were lucky then because I've also read reports about people waiting for days for email replies and RMAs taking a month. On the other hand though, the prices are so stupidly low the risk might well be worth it.

I've personally had good service from them on the one occasion I have used them - faulty GR06 connection to housing, they gave me a full refund within the day. But then they are a small company based in SG, with no outlets/HQs anywhere else in the world, you can't very well expect anything amazing from them :p

I have the rev.1 VSD3-S (copper detachable cable, poor strain relief), they developed the fault that is seemingly quite common on the detachable models - loss of audio in one or both of the drivers due to poor connections. I emailed LendMeUREars at 1100 this morning, had a reply from them at 1230 giving me the option of either getting a replacement cable, or getting an OEM set of the non-detachable VSD3-S's which feature a silver cable that has been said to improve top end a bit. All sorted out and replacement set on its way to me already.

Really can't say anything against the customer service, to be honest. This is the second time Ive had to experience it and it has been sublime both times; the first time my headphones had actually just passed out of their one year warranty period (they were 13 months old) and VSonic still refunded them.

With regards to the fault I have experienced, VSonic have updated the cable to add more strain relief and have offered the VSD3/-S as a non-detachable variant, partially to keep up with orders and partially to avoid the detachment issues. Anyone who has bought them within the past 2-3 months should have the newer, revised version and if you bought the non-detachable cable you will also be fine :)

Soldato
Just goes to show I was talking utter guff :D

Seriously though, I wonder if most of the bad reports were from people who had bought from places other than lendmeurears? If that's true then it's still not great because I bet LendMeURears isn't the biggest retailer selling them. Penon Audio probably sell them by the truck load and I just checked on Amazon.com and it looks like a big importer is someone called Esther International who sell them through the amazon fulfilment scheme. So if they only honour warranties from lendmeurears then there are going to be a hell of a lot of disgruntled owners of faulty Vsonics out there.

Soldato
OP
Most likely true, but then Penon Audio claims to offer a 1 year warranty on all their sales internally, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. It is peculiar, unless I'm the exception that proves the rule!

Shame about the fault but to be honest I expected it from day one - didn't look like there was sufficient strain relief at all - glad to hear VSonic have taken note and revised it though, I will report back when I receive them.

Soldato
OP
Ive not had one yet, but reports seem to indicate the revision to the cable was made on both the non-detachable and the detachable variants. To my knowledge, the non-detachable variant was only made as they couldn't produce the detchable version fast enough to keep up with demand, they are identical in all other areas. So the answer should be a yes :)

Soldato
OP
Its some proprietary coaxial connector, not the 'standard' 2 pin or MMCX connection that you get, which makes replacement/upgraded cables a real custom affair. I am actually tempted to get some quotes for a custom made cable for them with some Van Damme Pro Patch cabling.

Associate
Would these be considered as a worthwhile upgrade to the SoundMagic E10, or is there something else at this price point to consider instead?

I listern mainly to the likes of Alter Bridge, Slash, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc with some Linkin Park, Mumford & Sons, Edd Sheeran and Beth Hart thrown in.

Soldato
OP
Would these be considered as a worthwhile upgrade to the SoundMagic E10, or is there something else at this price point to consider instead?

I listern mainly to the likes of Alter Bridge, Slash, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc with some Linkin Park, Mumford & Sons, Edd Sheeran and Beth Hart thrown in.

Absolutely better than the E10. The E10 sounds so slow and lethargic in comparison. The E10 also has a smaller soundstage and less clarity than the VSonics, which also make the E10s bass sound muddy. These are also, without a shadow of a doubt, the best IEMs Ive heard beneath £100 (the GR07 excluded, but their price fluctuates horribly).

Associate
Absolutely better than the E10. The E10 sounds so slow and lethargic in comparison. The E10 also has a smaller soundstage and less clarity than the VSonics, which also make the E10s bass sound muddy. These are also, without a shadow of a doubt, the best IEMs Ive heard beneath £100 (the GR07 excluded, but their price fluctuates horribly).

Have just ordered a pair :)

Soldato
OP
Its some proprietary coaxial connector, not the 'standard' 2 pin or MMCX connection that you get, which makes replacement/upgraded cables a real custom affair. I am actually tempted to get some quotes for a custom made cable for them with some Van Damme Pro Patch cabling.

Got a quote today from designacable - they estimate, that due to the connector type used and the amount of labour that specific design warrants, the cost of a custom cable with Van Damme cabling would come to approximately double that of the cost of the IEM from new.

Associate
Got a quote today from designacable - they estimate, that due to the connector type used and the amount of labour that specific design warrants, the cost of a custom cable with Van Damme cabling would come to approximately double that of the cost of the IEM from new.

Oh dear :( new cables are available from LMUE anyway aren't they?

Also, cookeh will you stop updating this until mine arrive :'( I needs them!

Soldato
OP
You don't want the detachable version :) Non-detachable has a silver cable, of a slightly higher purity, so better sound - namely a bit more detail and slightly more refined upper treble. Plus you can get them in a very dark grey? :D

Back
Top Bottom