Just dropped a deposit on some M Power - Trackday Project Car

OcUK Staff
OP
Surely if your going to slicks it makes complete sense to have a roll-cage fitted? In fact I am surprised you don't have one fitted now

I just need to get the harnesses to correct level which a cage or harness bar will do. I'm not removing crash bars or changing body panels, keeping the stock ones and I don't intend to race competively. It's a fun road and track car, not dedicated track or race car.

Soldato
I just need to get the harnesses to correct level which a cage or harness bar will do. I'm not removing crash bars or changing body panels, keeping the stock ones and I don't intend to race competively. It's a fun road and track car, not dedicated track or race car.

There is a school of thought that harnesses restrict your mobility in the event of a rollover making neck/back injuries more likely/severe if the roof gets crushed in and you effectively end up with the weight of the car on your head. For this reason some people strongly advocate only running harnesses if you have a cage. Then you get into the issues that a full cage in a road car is a safety risk due to the risk of head butting the steel bars whilst not wearing a lid.

A rear half cage can be a good compromise although ultimately it's all about being aware of and understanding the various issuesand having a setup that gives a level of risk that fits your usage and is acceptable to you.

OcUK Staff
OP
Finally I have car back, slave cylinder fixed the issues and the SMG calibration passed without issue.

So along with oil change, coolant change, new engine mounts, gearbox mounts and all the other items I mentioned the car has never driven so good. Most probably just like a brand new one but better. Gear changes in a way are more brutal but are a solid shuff and not a wack which was no doubt due to the both gearbox mounts were snapped. She drives amazingly well!

Some picture of some little cosmetic upgrades I did whilst car was being worked on:-

e8d672d6c7fd3dab925f874b81ef017e.jpg

7c778be79b2c74e1532dc7b329e1f4b6.jpg

ba400af2977054f9aea462ef59d3bdc9.jpg

7171e52a8527acb58d217074ef7755ab.jpg

f880f993a7a6f125191cd43f1c25fd4d.jpg

Now I have cup holders again plus it looks much neater with no real addition in weight terms. Did I say car drives amazingly well, far better than my CSL and once all the bushes are changed out for new, well can it get any better! :)

Soldato
Have you seen mwstewart's M3 thread on PH? He's basically stripped his back and rebuilt it, just thought it might be handy for you if you need to check up on something.
One thing he's done that I think looks great is the steering wheel and handbrake.

OcUK Staff
OP
Have you seen mwstewart's M3 thread on PH? He's basically stripped his back and rebuilt it, just thought it might be handy for you if you need to check up on something.
One thing he's done that I think looks great is the steering wheel and handbrake.

Yeah followed it closely, interested in his solid steering column for more feel. Also what I don't have photos off is like him I cleaned the entire underside of the car whilst it was on axle stands and painted some of the older brackets to freshen the under-side up. Also fitted the CSL air box with all OEM parts, so no more cherry coke oil catch can setup under the bonnet, also removed the AC fan, shrouds etc to improve engine cooling and fitted a Mishimoto electric fan. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Looks mint, you should get the steering wheel refurbed to finish it off

What oil you using in it? TWS?

Yes the Castrol 10-60W with M approved sticker on it. :)

Am thinking of sending the wheel off to Royal's for some Alcantera treatment. :)

The planned boot floor re-inforcement is done next month along with entire OEM bush re-newel whilst subframe is out, think I shall fit a trackday in between now and then though. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Forgot to post up the pictures of the engine bay as I've got OEM breather hoses for the airbox. Also removed the AC fan and viscous fan for more weight reduction along with all cowling/housing etc. to further improve airflow to the engine to keep it cooler. Then added a mishimoto fan which is wired into the AC control so kicks in automatically when required to do so.

Pictures:-

photo1-11.jpg~original

photo2-7.jpg~original

photo3-4.jpg~original

Pics too big - please resize.

OcUK Staff
OP
You got comparison times between this and the 911 Gibbo?

If you mean lap times at Donnington, last week I did a 1:24.90 in the 911 officially timed, but I was taking it easy on the brakes (ceramics) and only revving the engine to around 6500rpm as my competition on the day was either in much slower cars or they could not drive. :D

The M3, I've done about a 1:22-1:23 in it, now it should be capable of around 1:21-1:22 with me driving.

If however your talking acceleration statistics, then were looking at, timed on racelogic box:-

M3 30-70mph - 3.8s-4.1s
911 C2S 30-70mph - 3.5-3.8s

M3 60-100mph - 5.5s
911 C2S 60-100mph - 5.5s

Manufacturer claims/review claims your looking at:-

M3 0-60mph - 4.8s (traction is the issue)
911 0-60mph - 3.9s (zero traction issues)

M3 0-100mph - 10s
911 0-100mph - 9.7s

Through the gears say on a 30-150mph run I think the M3 would edge it by a car length or two simply because the gear shifts take 0.08s they are lightning quick. But in-gear acceleration the 911 is faster, it has better traction, more torque and it is a far more slippery design. Beyond 150mph the 911 is no doubt quicker, the damn thing pulls to about 175mph GPS and tops out around 188mph. :)

Remember my 911 is not stock either, producing about 375-380BHP and 310lb/ft compared to stock 355BHP/295lb/ft which helps a little. :)

Soldato
I just need to get the harnesses to correct level which a cage or harness bar will do. I'm not removing crash bars or changing body panels, keeping the stock ones and I don't intend to race competitively. It's a fun road and track car, not dedicated track or race car.

My E36 wasn't a dedicated track car, I used it on the road as well, but what you got to remember is that it doesn't matter if your in a race or just a track day rolling your car at 100mph isn't going to be fun. Especially when you are pushing your self for lap times and you do a lot of track days. End of the day its up to you, but please have a re-think :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Jesus Gibbo that's a quick car! Didn't think the M3 would be anywhere near the 911.

Have you had the M3 dyno'd or is it stock power-wise?

According to the dyno the M3 is around 380ish, same dyno gives 375ish for 911. Irrelevent of final power figure the M3 is about 30-40BHP up on a stock M3, the dyno proved this. Mods are CSL airbox, underdrive pulleys, milltek 100 cel cats and an Evolve Alpha-N remap.

Plus the M3 is quite light at around 1300kg. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
My E36 wasn't a dedicated track car, I used it on the road as well, but what you got to remember is that it doesn't matter if your in a race or just a track day rolling your car at 100mph isn't going to be fun. Especially when you are pushing your self for lap times and you do a lot of track days. End of the day its up to you, but please have a re-think :)

To my knowledge as long as harnesses are at correct level they are safe. A full cage is a simple no, it will be more dangerous on the road then. A rear cage is certainly an option.

If I roll the car on the road, its no different than before, except I am held in with harnesses instead of a seatbelt, which right now are not safe due to the angle but with an harness bar would be correct angle. In the event of being upside down my harnesses are FIA approved and quick release type.

If I am upside down with a seatbelt I am kind of held in but not very well, but press button and I am out. With harnesses I am secure in the seat and with twist I am out. So as long as the level is correct I can't picture how they are any more dangerous than a seat belt, infact to me they seem safer.

Harness bar is a must to get them level or a rear cage to do the same thing and add some additional structure support to the car over stock. A full cage is a full point black no, anyway saying its safer in a road car is wrong as bang your head against it and your possibly dead, has happened in the past to people with full cages in road cars who have died from a simple collision due to hitting their head on the cage.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Will the cup holders hold the cups in place in the event of a roll? Or do they need a harness bar and full cage as well?

Back
Top Bottom