Just gave blood again, do you?

Man of Honour
This took a long time to come because I'm on 82 donations :)
I'd donated 58 times, took a few years off because I was told you couldn't give with diabetes and then started again.
They started me from new and when I went in three weeks ago they had found my 58 donations.

blood.jpg

Soldato
I am a registered organ donor.

I did have plans to donat blood but kinda got scared off with all my health problems paranoid it would cause more, but I am still 50/50 on it so may revisit the idea.

Soldato
I'd donated 58 times, took a few years off because I was told you couldn't give with diabetes and then started again.
They started me from new and when I went in three weeks ago they had found my 58 donations.

Someone obviously likes nurses draining him dry :D Well done sir!

Soldato
Dunno, but it hurt going in, hurt for the whole bloodletting process, and left me with a bruise about halfway to my wrist and armpit. Was horrible. Everyone had told me it was dead easy and you barely feel it, so I wasn't at all prepared for the reality!

Maybe they were a bit off with the needle? Ive had a bruise like a 50p piece once but that's it. Dont let it put you off though! My veins are deep and not very clear so i usually pre-warn them when i go in and they usually get 1 of the pro needle jabber nurses to attack my veins! Go and donate and just advise them what happened last time and im sure they will sort you out :)

I am a registered organ donor.

I did have plans to donate blood but kinda got scared off with all my health problems paranoid it would cause more, but I am still 50/50 on it so may revisit the idea.

Go with a friend if need be, i took a work colleague once who is scared of needles and got her to donate with me and all was fine. Health wise it wont have any impact other than you feeling a bit light headed if it does effect you. If the donation place is anything like the one in Notts it just means they will swing you nearly upside down in a chair for a few mins which is amusing to watch!

Man of Honour

Well done for coming back.

As for me, my last one was 695. I still don't get anything for 700, so it's a long haul to 750 for any acknowledgement. Blood donation is now like insurance: lots of rewards for newcomers, but the loyal ones get taken for granted. But that's a whole other thing.

Soldato
Well done for coming back.

As for me, my last one was 695. I still don't get anything for 700, so it's a long haul to 750 for any acknowledgement. Blood donation is now like insurance: lots of rewards for newcomers, but the loyal ones get taken for granted. But that's a whole other thing.

Either you're 173 years old or do you dontate Platelets on a crazy regular basis?

Last edited:
Soldato
695 separate donations I didnt even think was possible, thats massive. Not everyone is allowed to donate, depends on medication present in the blood and my Dad had to stop after donating throughout his life. He definitely got an award at a ceremony as it added up to saving a few people no doubt

Man of Honour
695 separate donations I didnt even think was possible, thats massive. Not everyone is allowed to donate, depends on medication present in the blood and my Dad had to stop after donating throughout his life. He definitely got an award at a ceremony as it added up to saving a few people no doubt

It's platelets, they add up massively and deservedly so.

Soldato
I'm O+
I used to donate but stopped because I kept passing out after every time. Didn't matter if I'd eaten before hand or not, irregardless of what I did after a few minutes I went down.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes I donate around 3 times a year, I find it can be difficult to get booked in on a time that suits though. Last visit was awesome, I was in and out within 15 minutes.

Man of Honour
my Dad had to stop after donating throughout his life. He definitely got an award at a ceremony as it added up to saving a few people no doubt

The big presentation is normally for 75 whole blood donations. Which for whole blood is impressive. I've been doing platelets for about twenty-four years, and whole blood for another three or four.

Associate
Thanks for the reminder just signed up again. It wont be until august but at least its in the books.

I've only done it once before, towards the end the flow kept slowing down. I was gripping the ball, clenching and unclenching my bum, rollowing the toilet tube everything they told me to do lol. Nurse seemed annoyed like it was my fault somehow but whatever.

Man of Honour
I'm at 5 donations but about a year ago they stopped running the sessions 5 minutes from my house and now unless I plan months in advance it's near impossible to get an appointment near work, home or my other halfs which covers a 60 mile patch of the West Midlands.

Soldato
Currently at 18 donations, and recently moved jobs so it's been difficult to re book, my next appointment now is in July, seems ages away but could not get anything sooner.

Back
Top Bottom