• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just seen 7970 Price @ £452.15 inc vat.

Associate
You're making assumptions.

"What if" is a game of hit and miss, I don't expect GTX 680 to be slower than HD 7970 but at max core speed it may just trade blows.

We don't know if Kepler solves all heat output issues that are the main limitation in developing the fastest GPU and even though you claim tailoring GPU clock speed will give Nvidia advantage (because, as you say, they're similar clock for clock with the current GTX 500 series), you can just assume

Also going with higher bus speed will increase the cost of production inevitably. AMD can play a price war game at any point.

Possible, but unlikely given that GTX 780 is likely to have anything from 768 to 1024 cuda cores (depending on what is meant by GTX 780, of course).
Clock for clock it will likely be faster.

Going 28nm would reduce heat because current-draw will be lower, resistive impedances will be lower, and hence I^2*R power losses will be lower, but then again quantum tunnelling (i.e. leakage) will be higher, so it remains to be seen where the chips fall exactly (no pun intended), but if I were to bet I think it be in favour of reduced heat, overall.

Associate
That's a very odd argument. Nvidia have two different clock speeds- one for the core and one for the SP which usually run at double the core. The architectures are too different for a clock to clock comparison to be meaningful.

according to techpowerup nvidia are doing away with 'hot clocks' shaders running at double core speed, am sure just speculation atm but interesting never the less
http://www.techpowerup.com/157039/NVIDIA-Kepler-To-Do-Away-with-Hotclocks.html

Last edited:
Soldato
according to techpowerup nvidia are doing away with 'hot clocks' shaders running at double core speed, am sure just speculation atm but interesting never the less
http://www.techpowerup.com/157039/NVIDIA-Kepler-To-Do-Away-with-Hotclocks.html

Now that would make things interesting - and certainly a lot less predictable.

I suppose this could help achieve nvidia's 'performance per Watt' targets (running shaders at lower clockspeeds should be more power efficient, assuming the rest of the GPU is suitably rebalanced), but it may hurt them in terms of absolute performance.

Caporegime
I'm still not really interested in the 7970, way too expensive for my tastes but, pending the reviews, the 1.5Gb 7950 is looking good if it's around £300. I might get the 3GB version, just in case so i could go eyefinity at a later date.

Soldato
such a shame Nvidia are far off with there card.... we need competition and then prices will be a lot better.

ATI surely cant do much well with a card that cost £450-500, its simply out of reach from most folk.

Soldato
Is the GTX 570 2560mb still likely to be the same price for a bit (£300)? I am still considering cancelling my order seeing as I am still waiting for the card to arrive.

Alternatively I'm considering sli with two of them down the line.

Caporegime
such a shame Nvidia are far off with there card.... we need competition and then prices will be a lot better.

ATI surely cant do much well with a card that cost £450-500, its simply out of reach from most folk.

With the price AMD are asking for 7970 all NVidia really have to do is drop the price of GTX580, the 7970 is too overpriced (seems to be a trend with AMD lately :().

Soldato
Loving the price of these over £400 for a GPU not a chance. Hopefully the benchmark massive will grab these up and will offload their perfectly good 69xx series on the MM...

Associate
well Nvidia only have to seriously drop the price of the current range (especially the 3gb 580) which will hold them up till kepler. If kepler is quite a bit better than 7970 (and the initial reports are pretty likely now) they only have to price match AMDs prices in May/June or pitch slightly higher and they have won the battle

However, until the 9th of Jan we don't know

The kepler due in june now then? last i read they were due in Q1 2012?

Back
Top Bottom