• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just seen 7970 Price @ £452.15 inc vat.

Caporegime
@ Scooby-DoobyDoo

It's not available (obviously) but you can't even pre-order at that price.

By the time you can actually order it they could change the price to anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
CPU they are ok, with GPU's they are a joke and that's why Nvidia beat them

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

Radeon 7970 is released at $449 price point, occupied by the cheapest of GTX580 3GB models now. No doubt shortly after release you'll see discounted Radeons that will beat those GTX580 models price-wise (unless Nvidia inevitably discounts their inferior products or releases new GPUs).

Don't mix up UK pricing into these companies marketing strategies, it has nothing to do with them and only shows how ignorant you (and other people in this thread) are about the market.

On the side note, it's Bulldozer that turned out to be a joke, not Radeon 7900s that actually does what it promised...

There is little that a 6970 or a gtx570 can't play at a decent rate. 500 quid GPU is laughable in todays current belt-tightening time

Perhaps this product isn't marketed for you and me, ever thought of that? Do you complain about iMacs prices as well?

Man of Honour
Now that would make things interesting - and certainly a lot less predictable.

I suppose this could help achieve nvidia's 'performance per Watt' targets (running shaders at lower clockspeeds should be more power efficient, assuming the rest of the GPU is suitably rebalanced), but it may hurt them in terms of absolute performance.

I've got a feeling this may only apply to workstation/compute orientated products where they will enable more SMs but lower clocks - 1:1 ratio shader:core domain, with some parts of the shader stuff running double clocked domain - its a good configuration for compute but not so good for gaming.

Most likely sounding info I've heard so far is 60% more stream processors, 20% higher clock speed than the GTX480 for the next gen x80 part (I'm not certain if this is a GK100 or 104 part tho).

Soldato
I've got a feeling this may only apply to workstation/compute orientated products where they will enable more SMs but lower clocks - 1:1 ratio shader:core domain, with some parts of the shader stuff running double clocked domain - its a good configuration for compute but not so good for gaming.

Most likely sounding info I've heard so far is 60% more stream processors, 20% higher clock speed than the GTX480 for the next gen x80 part (I'm not certain if this is a GK100 or 104 part tho).

What does it mean in realistic average games performance increase terms(not optimistic, minimum or maximum)?

Caporegime
Man of Honour
What does it mean in realistic average games performance increase terms(not optimistic, minimum or maximum)?

Hard to say tbh as I have no figures for things like pixel/texel fillrates, memory bandwidth and so on and not 100% on the changes to the shader architecture - I know some of the memory read/write stuff has been tweaked which should be good for 10-15% performance increase over Fermi as it is. I'd say minimum its going to be 15% faster than the 7970 but I can't really put a maximum on it.

Soldato
You forget the usual high demand markup for early adopters. Judging by the prices that have been quoted I think if it's not over 500 then it'll be 499 with it on special last week on January, if they haven't sold out their allocation by then.

GTX580 3GB are £440-500 at OcUK, cheaper elsewhere.

Gibbo said they will be similarly priced at launch, we know that the cards will go down to around £425.

I expect around £450 launch price and less a few week after launch.

OcUK is good at allocating stock of enthusiast cards, I bet they will not run out before price drops.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hard to say tbh as I have no figures for things like pixel/texel fillrates, memory bandwidth and so on and not 100% on the changes to the shader architecture - I know some of the memory read/write stuff has been tweaked which should be good for 10-15% performance increase over Fermi as it is. I'd say minimum its going to be 15% faster than the 7970 but I can't really put a maximum on it.

I meant a more realistic comparison, GTX480 or GTX580 as I expect the Kepler cards to scale similarly across the range in most games.

Soldato
I'm sticking with £449 to £489 depending on brand.

The price won't be revealed until the day it goes on sale as it will put people off and they will have time to discuss it and think maybe it is a bit too expensive. If it is released blind people will buy it and not think of the price.
The retailers and AMD will try and rake in as much as they can from the initial release and it will have a highly overinflated price on launch and claims of stock shortages and limited availabilty.

It is the same with every new hardware release...

Soldato
I meant a more realistic comparison, GTX480 or GTX580 as I expect the Kepler cards to scale similarly across the range in most games.

If Nvidia HAS done away with "hot clocked" shaders, then it will be very difficult to predict performance until we actually see benchmarks. The architecture would behave very differently, and would need to be re-balanced with a higher proportion of shader power (i.e. proportionally more CUDA cores).

A Kepler which is essentially a die-shrunk Fermi, with minor architectural changes, and scaled up by 50-100% (as most rumours seem to suggest) would be relatively easy to predict. On the other hand, IF the hot-clocks have gone, then it's anybody's guess how performance will end up. I imagine the architecture would be more power efficient, and will allow slightly higher transistor density - but a larger die-area would be required to match the performance of an equivalent "hot-clocked" part. Beyond this, it's very difficult to predict how performance would be affected.

Back
Top Bottom