Just starting out

Associate
OP
Disk locked, but there is nowhere to chain there. It's a dedicated spot for bikes, right in front of an open glass wall, the reception deks faces directly onto the spot + all barriers and CCTV etc. There's usually 3-4 bikes there, none chained, and none have ever been stolen from that spot - all more expensive than my 125. It's also about half a mile from the nearest public road, in a secure private compound.

It'll be interesting to hear what the CCTV picked up - not that it's any help now :(

Caporegime
They will go for the easiest to steal though, at my old work I used to chain it to a workmates lambretta,harder to pickup and steal two bikes

I hope they sort it out for you though,nothing worse than having that happen

Associate
Well that's a bag of ****. Bike stolen from outside work, in a secure area where all entrances are covered by CCTV, in a busy place and parked under a CCTV camera. Checked on it at 17:00, got gear on to go, and it as gone.

Police informed and site security.

Luckily I took out fully comp, but can't imagine it's going to do great things to future insurance quotes - my policy states that if stolen and not recovered, because it's new and I'm the first owner, they'll replace with a new model - I can't imagine I'll get a replacement in the near future though :(.

Sadly CCTV means nothing if face is covered up etc.

They will go for the easiest to steal though, at my old work I used to chain it to a workmates lambretta,harder to pickup and steal two bikes

I hope they sort it out for you though,nothing worse than having that happen

Supermoto bikes are easy to steal as they are light and 'look' unsecured due to immobiliser etc. Best defence is to get a good alarm fitted to them, makes the little ****** think twice about trying anything. Especially when a 100+ db alarm is going off attracting everyone's attention. They are fairly cheap as well compared to the cost of paying off insurance premiums over time.

My uncle had a KTM EXC 450 enduro bike fitted with one as he used to use it on the road every now and again. As you walked up to it it used to let off a beep and if you moved it it used to let out a hellishly loud sound.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that's a bag of ****. Bike stolen from outside work, in a secure area where all entrances are covered by CCTV, in a busy place and parked under a CCTV camera. Checked on it at 17:00, got gear on to go, and it as gone.

Luckily I took out fully comp, but can't imagine it's going to do great things to future insurance quotes - my policy states that if stolen and not recovered, because it's new and I'm the first owner, they'll replace with a new model - I can't imagine I'll get a replacement in the near future though :(.

They are ******* scum.

Associate
They are ******* scum.
Thieves in this regard should have a hand cut off if caught :mad:
Makes me rage how somebody can steal something that somebody aka misterjingo, has brought with his own hard earned £.
I suppose at the end of the day they are scum and will more than likely live the rest of their lives like scumbags without any morality/happiness in their lives. In those circles of life; what goes around comes around.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh no, Been there myself lost £1000 quid because of it too and it's made me lose my 1st year NCB. I have a horrible feeling that the only reason my current bike hasn't been stolen is that it's not at all desirable, which has me worried should the job situation improve next year do I dare buy something sexier.

What's the plan now, get another 125cc or do your DAS and move on?

Associate
OP
I've been in touch with the insurance and they have a new bike replacement policy. So if they go for that, I guess it'll be a new 125. If they pay cash, then I might go the das route and get something bigger.

I'm going to be paranoid to ride it anywhere now(!) Will have to start carrying a big chain around, more disklocks, and will look at a alarm. But it seems even with all that, if someone wants your bike, they'll get it :\.

Last edited:
Soldato

Wow that sucks. London by any chance?

Also I'm sure site security can be paid off, or don't pay much attention throughout the day especially if it's generally a quiet place.

Associate
OP
Wow that sucks. London by any chance?

Also I'm sure site security can be paid off, or don't pay much attention throughout the day especially if it's generally a quiet place.

Birmingham, the site it got stole from was a secure bit of UoB campus. So lots of footfall near it, but no way on for vehicles, and no way of seeing it from the public roads.

Not sure the truth of it, but the security guy I reported it to said two other motorbikes had been taken from campus recently too. I thought "thanks for alerting people that motorbike thieves have been operating in the area..."

Associate
OP
Anyone used bike trac? Looks a bit expensive to set up, but for £300, being alerted the second someone moves your bike and them working with the police to provide location information if the bike gets taken - I'd happily pay that for piece of mind tbh.

Soldato
I'm SO glad I don't live in or near a big town/city. Quiet small town/village is the way to go :D I could leave mine on our street all night, uncovered, unlocked with the key in and nobody would take it. It still gets Almax locked to my other bike, disk locked, steering locked and garage locked at night though :p

The one time I moved to a bigger town (almost city sized), they try and nick that courtesy Bandit I had when I got knocked off my Hornet, from a locked garage. Yeah, I moved back to a village after 6 months of that!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sod all use if you can't get to the bike ASAP though.

Even then there's probably going to be more than one of them and they're probably going to be tooled up, that's what I've got insurance for.

Man of Honour
Anyone used bike trac? Looks a bit expensive to set up, but for £300, being alerted the second someone moves your bike and them working with the police to provide location information if the bike gets taken - I'd happily pay that for piece of mind tbh.

If someone stole my bike I wouldn't want it back.

Associate
OP
If someone stole my bike I wouldn't want it back.

Is that because it might be damaged, or just because?

Checking out bike trac, they claim to get a lot of the bikes back within 20-30 minutes of them being stolen.

Either way, the next bike I get, I'm going to have a decent alarm and immobiliser installed (would be good for work), a tracker, and will get a box or something so I can carry a decent chain and lock with me + disk locks. If they manage to take it with all that, not really much else that could be done.

Back
Top Bottom