Just starting out

Associate
Is the almax III good enough for when out and about? I've got a IV in the garden, but it's awkward to put on and heavy. The III is at least 'portable', I was thinking of getting the 2 - 2.5 meter one with the squire lock, and getting a Kriega DryBag US10 or similar to carry it about.

I figure that chain / lock + 2 disk locks should make people think twice...

I have the 2m version of the III and its far to heavy to put in a bag. Would be hugely unsafe. My suggestion would be to leave the chain at work so when you arrive you only need to remember the keys.

Associate
Does anyone use an anti-pinch pin?:

http://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=Anti-Pinch+Pin

An issue I'm having with the almax iv is that it's too big to get through a lot of the "safer" parts of the chassis. Using something like the above would let you get the chain off the ground and secure the bike a lot better. Not sure if it's just wasting money though...

Never seen those before, Very clever. My Almax III only fits through my bikes Wheels so this would be an upgrade on location. How strong is the pin though. Don't want that being a weak point even if it is in a more secure place of the bike.

Soldato
If he gets a kriega US10 tailpack it'll take the series 3 easy, kriega stuff is very well built. The issue with leaving the chain there is it allows thieves to bugger the lock (superglue in the keyhole) and then you turn up and can't lock the bike up with the chain. Hey presto - another easy bike to nick.

Man of Honour
I'm looking at sorting a ground anchor and almax chain for mine in the new year, only problem is the only place I could mount the anchor is in the wall of the house and unless I back the bike into the garden my hugger gets in the way of looping a chain through so it'll reach the wall.
I'll have to have a sit and stare at it I think and see how I could work it because there's no way I'm messing about trying to back the bike up the drive and through the gate every night.

Man of Honour
Do you have an old chimney Brest outside? Could bolt it to that?

Bolting the anchor to the wall isn't the problem, it's just a narrow strip of gravel up the side of the house so as I ride in the wall will always be on the left hand side which means getting the chain through the wheel and swingarm is going to be difficult.
I could stick the chain through the front wheel but that seems pointless as it's easy enough to whip it off and cart the bike away without it.

Associate
If he gets a kriega US10 tailpack it'll take the series 3 easy, kriega stuff is very well built. The issue with leaving the chain there is it allows thieves to bugger the lock (superglue in the keyhole) and then you turn up and can't lock the bike up with the chain. Hey presto - another easy bike to nick.

Oh gosh, I never meant leaving it outside but when I ride to work I have stuff in my tool box that takes 2-3minutes to get so from time of getting off my bike and then walking through the warehouse to my test area and back I then have disc lock etc ready and waiting.

Fortunately for me the only locals in my area are cows and the odd sheep haha.

Soldato
I have the 2m version of the III and its far to heavy to put in a bag. Would be hugely unsafe. My suggestion would be to leave the chain at work so when you arrive you only need to remember the keys.

It is a bit big and heavy for a backpack, but it'll be fine in the Kriega US10 tail pack.

Associate
OP
The insurance claim seems to be progressing nicely, sent all my docs off recorded delivery today, and it seems they might provide a brand new bike - which will be better financially as I wont have to pay excess etc.

I'm going to order an almax 3 and two meaty disklocks and will be carrying them in a Kriega tail bag, locking the bike up even if I'm only going to be off it for 2 mins. I'm not taking any chances this time :p

Associate
OP
That's a bit crazy - already had a call about a replacement bike, will need to pay £350 excess, but I'd have lost more if they'd have gone for a straight cash payment.

They're now going to contact the dealers and sort out a replacement and I should hear back in a couple of days. I was expecting this to take weeks / months (!)

Associate
OP
Definitely, it also looks like work is going to install some anchors in the motorcycle bay, and have said I can park it directly outside the main entrance window and chain it to the bike shed.

It's been a ****** few days, but some good might come from it.

Soldato
Definitely, it also looks like work is going to install some anchors in the motorcycle bay, and have said I can park it directly outside the main entrance window and chain it to the bike shed.

It's been a ****** few days, but some good might come from it.

Nice one - I would have thought if there's been a spate of thefts the security would be looking to do something about it, with it being a Uni campus and all. Not something you want to advertise - "Come to Birmingham Uni, we have thieves roaming freely through our grounds!" :D

Normally for your excess they'd take it out the cash payout but as you're getting a new bike you'll have to pay it yourself.

Did you even get a visit from the police to check the CCTV etc?

Associate
OP
It seems they don't want to announce how many bikes are stolen... One of the guys from my office has had two push bikes stolen from campus. When he requested information about number of thefts, what areas they occurred etc they refused. So he put in an official FOI request to force them ahah :D.

I'm not sure if the police have been down, security are keeping things close to their chest. I can't see the CCTV footage myself for data protection reasons - which sounds a bit nuts.

The replacement company said once the bike is ready, I need to pay the excess to the dealer when I pick it up. I'm guessing they're holding no hope of getting the old bike back if they're already sourcing a replacement.

Associate
OP
Booked up for my DAS today. Due to having to folk so much cash out recently... and the time of year, I'm planning on doing it in Feb. Hopefully I'll get a replacement 125 prior to that, so can build up the road experience.

The school I'm going with are positive it shouldn't take long. They said they'll first take me out for a half day on a big bike, and will take it from there. Looking forward to it already :D

If all goes well, I'll pass that asap, perhaps keep the 125 until the start of summer, then trade it up for a bigger bike to enjoy in the good weather :).

Soldato
Booked up for my DAS today. Due to having to folk so much cash out recently... and the time of year, I'm planning on doing it in Feb. Hopefully I'll get a replacement 125 prior to that, so can build up the road experience.

The school I'm going with are positive it shouldn't take long. They said they'll first take me out for a half day on a big bike, and will take it from there. Looking forward to it already :D

If all goes well, I'll pass that asap, perhaps keep the 125 until the start of summer, then trade it up for a bigger bike to enjoy in the good weather :).

You'll pass your DAS and wonder why you didn't just do it straight away. :p

Back
Top Bottom