Just starting out

Associate
OP
Yep, bike trac requires a subscription, but from what I've read, they're the only company who work directly with the police after confirmation the bike has been stolen - which perhaps explains some of their claims of sub 20 minute recoveries.

Associate
OP
Is the almax III good enough for when out and about? I've got a IV in the garden, but it's awkward to put on and heavy. The III is at least 'portable', I was thinking of getting the 2 - 2.5 meter one with the squire lock, and getting a Kriega DryBag US10 or similar to carry it about.

I figure that chain / lock + 2 disk locks should make people think twice...

Soldato
Is there something you can chain it to? It sounds like this was a van job, probably 2 or 3 blokes, lifted the bike into the back of a van, 30 second would be all it took. Disk lock/chain etc won't help if it's not chained to something immovable.

Associate
OP
Is there something you can chain it to? It sounds like this was a van job, probably 2 or 3 blokes, lifted the bike into the back of a van, 30 second would be all it took. Disk lock/chain etc won't help if it's not chained to something immovable.

A couple of minutes from my office is another place where bikes park up. That place has 5 large steel tube hoops - about 3-4 inches thick and 3 foot high / long which are embedded in the ground. I figure with a chain, that's as safe as it gets. Also directly under cctv and off the road on a paved bit.

Caporegime
Any nearby lamp posts? Telegraph poles,gates,railings ect

I have the almax 3 and its very heavy but I carry it in my rucksack if I'm leaving my bike parked up for long periods,short stops I parkup where its busy and congested/lots of foot traffic and use my disclock

Caporegime
you ought of bought just the almax 3 to begin with really,the 4 series is huuuuge

you can atleast carry the 3 series with you and its more than enough security for chaining it at home ect,and its mostly out and about somewhere that its likely to get pinched,i did say that those style bikes scrambler/supermoto are a thief and chav's favourite that's why you gotta be extra carefull

aslong as you can chain it through the frame or the wheel,or the box section of the swingarm near the shock and around something solid like a lamp post youll be much safer than not chaining it and leaving just a disclock on it,two burly men can lift it into the back of a transit van in no time

Associate
Does anyone use an anti-pinch pin?:

http://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=Anti-Pinch+Pin

An issue I'm having with the almax iv is that it's too big to get through a lot of the "safer" parts of the chassis. Using something like the above would let you get the chain off the ground and secure the bike a lot better. Not sure if it's just wasting money though...

Seems like a great idea, didn't know it existed. Good way to save money on chain length too.

Any nearby lamp posts? Telegraph poles,gates,railings ect

I have the almax 3 and its very heavy but I carry it in my rucksack if I'm leaving my bike parked up for long periods,short stops I parkup where its busy and congested/lots of foot traffic and use my disclock

I have a 2m long 16mm Squire chain and I can barely wrestle it around my bike at home, I can't imagine putting that into a rucksack and riding around with it. I'm genuinely impressed by that.

I know one bloke who uses an Almax IV at work but he doesn't carry it, he's just looped 2 around a pillar in an underground car park and left it there permanently. It's a good idea and there's nothing really to stop other bikers just looping their chains around it too, although i don't know if he'd be happy with that not that it affects him.

Associate
Pays to ask your workmates whether they mind you chaining it to their machines as well,any things better than leaving it free to be lifted into a van

Yeah it should be an unwritten rule amongst bikers that you loop your chain around the bike's chain that's next to you as it doesn't stop anyone from leaving at any time and makes both bikes marginally more secure.

My bike is relatively safe at work as I can see it from my office and I'm the chap you need to get past to steal it.

Soldato
Came into the thread looking forward to see how you were progressing and was greeted by the bad news. Sorry OP. I do hate free-loading scumbags like the ones who obviously took from you.

Associate
OP
Came into the thread looking forward to see how you were progressing and was greeted by the bad news. Sorry OP. I do hate free-loading scumbags like the ones who obviously took from you.

I was progressing well until this kick in the teeth.

Security have found the guys on CCTV. Said they drove up on a bike, both helmeted. Drove around, scoping the area, then cropped the lock, broke the steering lock, and I guess they must have hot-wired it. The bike didn't have an immobilizer. They then rode it off down some footpaths.

They couldn't see their faces, but said they were wearing distinctive clothing.

As **** as it is, it seems having a good quality chain would have stopped it from happening. Next time I won't take any chances.

Soldato
Yep I'd get an almax chain, they can't be cropped by hand tools so they wouldn't have been able to do much.

Sounds like the local chav scum rather than a professional group of people, which means they go for the easy bikes to nick.

Soldato
I was progressing well until this kick in the teeth.

Security have found the guys on CCTV. Said they drove up on a bike, both helmeted. Drove around, scoping the area, then cropped the lock, broke the steering lock, and I guess they must have hot-wired it. The bike didn't have an immobilizer. They then rode it off down some footpaths.

They couldn't see their faces, but said they were wearing distinctive clothing.

As **** as it is, it seems having a good quality chain would have stopped it from happening. Next time I won't take any chances.

Yup, a big chain and decent disk lock will stop chav/casual/opportunistic thieves like this - they will just look passed it because of the big chain when scouting like that. Sucks, but it's true.

Basically, anything that can stop a carry-in-backpack crop will probably do the trick when it comes to cases like this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom