• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just what is NVIDIA up to?

Associate
Gamers are at the end of the C-Level meeting agenda at NVIDIA and probably get 5-10 minutes.

“Are gamers still buying over expensive cards?”
“yes”
“Good, next topic.”

NVIDIA focus is AI and cloud compute which is what the market analysis likes now and reacts to. The market couldn’t care less if gamers buy NVIDIA cards or not as long as they are a leader in AI, that’s where the future is that’s where the money is.
This is the buzz word now everything you see and here is all about AI. I work in Tech and this where a lot of focus is now for new product development.

Bang on I suspect.

Man of Honour
There's nothing wrong with a 4080, except the horrible price.

It is a touch faster than where the 4070 should be but not by much. I would expect a 4080 at £1000+ to have at least 20GB VRAM and be a touch closer to the 4090.

Personally I think there are a number of aspects at play with the 4000 series including trying to manipulate people into buying a tier up price wise from what they'd normally do by playing silly games with the value prospects, condition people to accept a new pricing model and a bit of vindictiveness in respect to people who don't upgrade each generation - Jensen a couple of times and other nVidia people in general have had spiteful digs, sometimes covered with a bit of "humour", at people who skip a generation(s) and IMO they are trying to price the model in to get back the money they feel they are "owed".

Sadly I think it will work on the general consumers to the detriment for everyone.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Nvidia don't (and don't have to) care about gamers in the slightest right now. You should feel fortunate they're even willing to sell you a GPU at all. In the future you'll have to fill in an application form and write a thousand-word essay to explain to Jensen why you deserve one.

Or rent-a-gpu subscription. Can see this being the new more you save..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am slowly starting to think that after the pandemic, they anticipated lower sales. Combined with over-ordering, they saw their gaming profits taking a nose-dive, so they cheapened the products and ramped up the prices in an attempt to maintain their profit. What they hadn't foreseen is the reaction of the public. The real question is, whether they will acknowledge their mistake or just put it down to a declining market. If they do the latter, then there will be no letup in their behaviour.

If your a gamer, you should be grabbing an AMD card, because all the nVidia ones are being snapped up by business for AI research and development.

A problem I have with AMD is that no one seems to bother reviewing their cards. Sure, they do AMD, but they don't do Asus, Gigabyte or MSI.

One of the things that does turn me away from NVIDIA (apart from the obvious) is the RAM. If I buy a card now, then it has to last a long time, and the entire NVIDIA range score badly on RAM.

Last edited:
Soldato
Chip shortage too maybe? hence the steering of buyers towards 4090 purchase as the best of the bunch for the £ with a higher profit margin probably. Sell fewer cards but make the same profit.
I think NV does care very much about gamers. It's still where they started and IMO helps with their marketing, that is, being publicly recognised as making the best gaming GPU's must have some whack in their other markets.
I do hope the situation is better next gen. The 3080 pricing I thought was very good, FE that is.

Last edited:
Associate
I am slowly starting to think that after the pandemic, they anticipated lower sales. Combined with over-ordering, they saw their gaming profits taking a nose-dive, so they cheapened the products and ramped up the prices in an attempt to maintain their profit. What they hadn't foreseen is the reaction of the public. The real question is, whether they will acknowledge their mistake or just put it down to a declining market. If they do the latter, then there will be no letup in their behaviour.

A problem I have with AMD is that no one seems to bother reviewing their cards. Sure, they do AMD, but they don't do Asus, Gigabyte or MSI.

One of the things that does turn me away from NVIDIA (apart from the obvious) is the RAM. If I buy a card now, then it has to last a long time, and the entire NVIDIA range score badly on RAM.

Techpowerup usually cover a few different AIB cards.

Soldato
A what has become apparent is 8GB is not enough these days, specially if your playing in higher resolutions like 1440p or 4k and I'd argue that the 12GB the 4070Ti has will be an issue at 4k within a year or so.

I think any mid range or high end GPU releasing today should have a minimum of 16GB.

Associate
A what has become apparent is 8GB is not enough these days, specially if your playing in higher resolutions like 1440p or 4k and I'd argue that the 12GB the 4070Ti has will be an issue at 4k within a year or so.

I think any mid range or high end GPU releasing today should have a minimum of 16GB.

12GB is probably ok for 1440p for a little while. But was, they should have fitted 16GB.

Back
Top Bottom