• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Kaapstad's new toy.

Is the Geforce with you?

• Total voters
Permabanned
I was just little unstable at 2100mhz (or nearest step/bin as in 13mhz steps) but after flashing to Asus Strix OCX bios I got to about 2130-2150MHZ but there is side effects like 1000RPM less fan speed at 100% and Zero fan speed at idle (can sort with a 2d profile) also seems to hit 1500mhz Core for few sec's opening webpages so idle is hotter most of the time and cannot turn off the G-Force logo on this non Ref Bios.

Think I will flash back to stock EVGA FE bios, agree with some others on OC.net the FE Bios clock for clock is higher FPS in games and scores in benches than the Strix OCX bios.

EDIT : Forgot to say the above is me looping Heaven and Valley 3 times in a row and any games I have installed inc FarCry 4 which finds unstable OC's very soon, had to do with a cold room due to 1000RPM lower Max fan speed though.

With new Tim and FE bios Max 4500RPM it would still be stable IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
I see this card as a tester of Nvidia marketing department. They simply try to find out where is the limit of what people are willing to pay for the same hardware but with a bit of glitter. So by buying this you can be sure the next gen cards will be somewhere in that price region. I find this really silly but it is everybody's business how they spend their money. Also, from gamer's point of view using more than one card could and will result in worse gaming experience due to more stuttering. OK for benching though.

Soldato
I see this card as a tester of Nvidia marketing department. They simply try to find out where is the limit of what people are willing to pay for the same hardware but with a bit of glitter. So by buying this you can be sure the next gen cards will be somewhere in that price region. I find this really silly but it is everybody's business how they spend their money. Also, from gamer's point of view using more than one card could and will result in worse gaming experience due to more stuttering. OK for benching though.

I know people that would say that about a £350 GPU.

People criticise others for buying things that are outwith their own comfort zone, and then they try to blame that person for the future purchases that others can't/won't make.

It's very unbecoming.

Permabanned
If lots of rich peeps did not buy leather jackets in late 70's early 80's then you would not have seen the cheaper £70-199 ones in the 90's

I was born in 71 and a leather jacket was a luxury to most.

Same for Blu Ray or anything like say 4k TV's, the early adopters pay the big bucks then year slater its affordable for most.

Soldato
If lots of rich peeps did not buy leather jackets in late 70's early 80's then you would not have seen the cheaper £70-199 ones in the 90's

I was born in 71 and a leather jacket was a luxury to most.

Same for Blu Ray or anything like say 4k TV's, the early adopters pay the big bucks then year slater its affordable for most.
The cheap jackets are already here: mass manufactured PCs in a little boxes a.k.a games consoles

Man of Honour
OP

It is actually an improvement on the pricing.

Both the standard Xp and the SW cards are exactly the same price. The difference is the extras you get with the SW cards, or putting it another way NVidia are giving more for the same money.

As to stuttering I don't normally get any when I use SLI.

Man of Honour
OP
Surely you though you cant say the Titan Xp is a better overclocker based on its base clock speeds. Those numbers used are conservative and more so given its a blower style cooler. Otherwise you could say a FE 1080Ti is a better overclocker then a aftermarket 1080Ti when in reality its just the former starts off at low numbers with the blower cooler. Sure in % increase they appear to better, but in absolute frequency all top out at similar numbers it seems with some variance for silicon lottery.

The point is FE cards are better overclockers than AIB partner cards as they start with lower base clocks and this needs to be remembered when reviewing/testing. I find it all a bit silly when a review site tests a non reference 1080 Ti for example and then announces it is faster than a Titan only for the end user to find out that once you overclock both that the Titan comes out on top.

Soldato
The point is FE cards are better overclockers than AIB partner cards as they start with lower base clocks and this needs to be remembered when reviewing/testing. I find it all a bit silly when a review site tests a non reference 1080 Ti for example and then announces it is faster than a Titan only for the end user to find out that once you overclock both that the Titan comes out on top.

They are indeed better overclockers in the sense there base numbers are so low so as a % they are good clockers, but as you pointed out in terms of headroom they all (pascal) top out similarly (outside of silicon lottery) once you manually clock so not really better at hitting better numbers. Yes it is disingenuous to an extent, and pitting a FE 1080Ti vs FE Titan Xp will of course put the Xp ahead with its more complete core, or even upping the fan profile on the FE cooler (at the expense of noise). I imagine reviewers just bench the cards as they are out the box which is where the FE cards suffer. I imagine most picking up a Titan Xp would know what there buying, enough to disregard benchmarks or understand that benchmarks are likely with stock fan profiles.

Soldato
Just watched the Linus techtips vid on this then saw you got ya self one, StarWars build on the way? Always wanted to so a star wars themed build, would have looked great in one of them cases that looked like the storm trooper armour, cant remember the name.

V F

V F

Soldato
I remember when Alienware done Star Wars.

https://www.slashgear.com/alienware-releases-new-aurora-star-wars-edition-pcs-195819/

Then one of these.
home_2.jpg

Soldato
The price of this card is permanently being cut to £999 tomorrow... lol

Damn, actually tempted now, I mean when you factor in that Titans hold their value very well you could basically buy one of these, mine with it for a few months then game on it for a year before selling it on and you would have paid nothing.

Man of Honour
OP
Damn, actually tempted now, I mean when you factor in that Titans hold their value very well you could basically buy one of these, mine with it for a few months then game on it for a year before selling it on and you would have paid nothing.

Compared to some of the high end 1080 Ti cards the new price is actually pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom