Keeping a direct injection engine healthy

Shell V power used to have a dedicated base fuel. Not sure now/ nor if they have started to use ethanol.

BP ultimate is 102 Ron in Germany as their ultimate is a dedicated base fuel for that product. Shame there isn’t the same refinery infrastructure here in the UK.
Thanks. We have a Shell and BP that we can use without really going out of our way so I'll suggest that she only uses those rather than chasing the 1p/l saving at Asda :D I think Shell works out about the same cost as long as I remember to keep activating the offers on the drivers club app.

Meh, who am I trying to kid. The last time she filled her own car up we had a labour government so I'll take it there myself :rolleyes: :p

EDIT - Quoted wrong post but you get the idea :o

Last edited:
In your opinion, under what circumstances is it worth paying the extra for Shell V-Power over their regular unleaded?

Genuine question since you clearly know a lot about it, not arguing or trolling :)

I've always used V-Power since getting my Mondeo as I understood it was 'the right thing to do' with it being turbocharged, direct injection, etc. But if I'm really wasting my money then maybe I won't bother.

I'd just look at the handbook, you aren't specifically going to see any difference if ford only call for 95RON, you have a bluefin though don't you? I'd personally err on the side of caution and use V-Power but not using it isn't going to be detrimental
Turbo cars are timing limited at peak torque (generally peak boost). Higher octane allows more torque for the same boost, so actually, turbos really do want high octane. The Ethanol content of M99 was always useful as well as it helps cool the combustion.

It's not "just" the power that's left on the table, it's efficiency too

Best you will get is something like this:

http://www.greenergy.com/uploads/LdcN6uEgdclc_Unleaded 95 Petrol_specification sheet_Feb18.pdf
(Sales Specification - Greenergy Standard Unleaded)

http://www.greenergy.com/uploads/gzNWzpkYtSf9_99octane_2018.04.pdf
(Fuel Sampling report - Greenergy 99 RON "Tesco Momentum")

I couldn't even find anything similar for Shell yesterday when I looked.

Edit:
https://events.imeche.org/docs/defa...v-power-product-information-2013.pdf?sfvrsn=2
(Older 2009 data sheet for Vpower - source unknown)

Vpower hasn't changed at all from that datasheet apart from their additives.

What bugs me is that it shows 0-5 for ethonol... As if they don't want to admit it lol.

Same base fuel. Which is what gives the power.

Mine lives on Costco Premium diesel not because it's premium fuel but purely that is the cheapest. It certainly won't do any harm.
It will though. The primary cause of diesel injector failure is cheap fuel causing deposits inside the injector.

It will though. The primary cause of diesel injector failure is cheap fuel causing deposits inside the injector.
So premium diesel causes deposits? I'm confused so what's the point in premium fuel.
Or did you just misread my post and not realise I'm using Premium diesel, it just happens to be cheaper than standard any where else.

Same base fuel. Which is what gives the power.

Doesn't look like it to me - there is a significant difference in the Olefin (Alkene) content - I'm no expert, but Alkenes allow more reaction with oxygen, so the Vpower with more Olefins will be more reactive (maybe burn cleaner etc?)

those spec's don't seem to ackowledge any basic level of detergents required for 95/99/v-power fuel afaiks.

No and you are unlikely to ever find anything that does (as they presumably are the trade secret that's patentable etc)

Back
Top Bottom