Keeping “emergency” cash at home…

Soldato
I don't hold cash. But have sympathy with those who want to keep cash going.

We're seeing another reminder of why systems aren't reliable 100% of the time with the global BSOD.

But many localised problems don't make it to the national news. Yesterday Asda in my area had to go cash only because of either some glitch or power cut.

Soldato
We've almost completed our move from the highly resilient in depth systems of the 60's and 70's to highly efficient but low resilience modern world. And I don't mean just in commercial transactions. Accounting, energy infrastructure, deliveries, stock control, telecoms, manufacturing the list is endless. There maybe standalone PLC's and DCS systems that can be ringfenced but often the supporting systems are dependent on highly interconnected systems that can go down just like today.

Caporegime
People who keep emergency cash be like this today on the way to the shops

IMG-0522.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We've almost completed our move from the highly resilient in depth systems of the 60's and 70's to highly efficient but low resilience modern world. And I don't mean just in commercial transactions. Accounting, energy infrastructure, deliveries, stock control, telecoms, manufacturing the list is endless. There maybe standalone PLC's and DCS systems that can be ringfenced but often the supporting systems are dependent on highly interconnected systems that can go down just like today.
it all depends on what service you are prepared to pay for...

working in the selector, I can reassure you that we check, double check and triple check everything before mulitple testings... 90% of my role is paper work. a 5 min task in another company takes me days if not weeks to get it cleared.
but those things costs; if you bank is offering higher interest rates, insurance is super cheap, etc.. You need to think where the savings are coming from.

Our team is very small in size but very expensive in cost.. questions are always asked why we are around by newer directors/chiefs, then other C-level managers tell them to shut up as they been though the process of looking to what we actually do.
Just a shame we can't have more staff.

Soldato
One cash related thing to look out for which I had the other day is whenever you are given pound coins in your change, check them to make sure they are not Singapore dollar coins, because they are virtually identical. Really, I don't which came first but it is soooo easy to mistake one for a genuine pound, as the lass at the Chinese takeaway found out the day after as I palmed it off to her. That was one of my most dead pan faced handovers of cash ever btw. It wouldn't be so bad if they were worth more than a pound.

w36KUmI.jpg

Man of Honour
No issues in our stores and no issue when I went to do the shop using contactless, no need to rush out and clear the toilet roll shelves :D

Soldato
Being old school I keep two £20s in my phone case and two in my card wallet. Only have a few coins in my pocket - £1 coin for shopping trolly - Lost my home made trolly one.
Always pay cash at Lidl. - It's probably the only shop I go in.

Back
Top Bottom