Keeping “emergency” cash at home…

Soldato
Unless you've got at least two current accounts with completely different banks, or a credit card that is from a completely different issuer and type there is always a single point of failure that can remove your ability to use any electronic funds, even then if there is an internet outage or whatever you can be without your electronic cash.

I have 2 current accounts with different banks and credit cards by different issuers. I have been caught out in my younger years when the cash machine randomly swallows my card.

I left my physical bank card in a backpack for a month without realising this year. I don't even take my wallet out when I leave the house these days, everything is just done on phone or watch.

Same, GooglePay with me. Unless I am on holiday, my wallet stays at home.

Soldato
me personally no........ but our 8 year old lad has upto £50 cash pinned on the notice board from grandparents or birthday money etc which i raid if needed.. once it goes above that we stick it in his bank..

(minor segue but why is it kids do so well out of money....... he gets £10 off his grandparents for an icecream or what ever...... but somehow we still end up paying for it and he just ends up with a crap load of cash we have to put in his bank account!.)

by the time he is 18 he will have as many savings as i do!.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The World remains physical and ultimately cash is resilient, even if the lights go out or rather the computer says no, which they seem to do every now and then. We keep a few hundred quid in the house and I try to keep £20-100 in my wallet.

If the world got to that point I suspect money would be worthless. Physical or not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I always take my wallet.
If I drop my phone or. It runs out of battery or Google pay doesn't work it would be too difficult without it.

Although I don't carry cash.. I couldn't be without a phone backup

Soldato
OP
I always take my wallet.
If I drop my phone or. It runs out of battery or Google pay doesn't work it would be too difficult without it.

Although I don't carry cash.. I couldn't be without a phone backup

I have my iphone and my apple watch both are setup for apple pay linked to a number of credit and debit cards.

But the other day I went into town and forgot to take my wallet, and not felt that poor in such a long time, the shop didn't want to take digital payment as what I was buying was under a tenner. I spent a good 30 mins walking around trying to get money out the hole in the wall using apple pay and failed!

Luckly I had a tenner hinded in my phone case, but was worried that I didn't have enough cash to pay for the items that I needed from the market place... which was a swede and a lemon... lol...

Honestly I don't have an idea of what stuff costs, I roughly know how much a weekly shop should cost in total as I buy roughly the same stuff each week but for each item; I have no chance in guessing as everything just gets thrown in to the trolley and I don't even question the total of the shopping when I tap to pay for it on my phone/watch.

Soldato
Why is cash still a good idea? Oh look...

People turned away from supermarkets as widespread issues with card payments reported​

A "nationwide issue" has been affecting card payments for hundreds of people.
Many social media users were reporting being unable to pay for their shopping in supermarkets this morning.
More than 600 people were flagging issues with Visa on Down Detector as of 9.45am, while over 100 had problems with Mastercard payments as of 10am.
A sign in one Sainsbury's store was requesting customers pay for their shopping in cash.
The supermarket said on social media it had been aware of a "nationwide issue" with card payments.
Asda also confirmed it was aware of an issue and was working to get it fixed.

:p

Associate
The only people I know that still do this are old people like my parents and rich people that are dodgy, like a friend of mines dad. He literally keeps it under the mattress and a few other places. Money in the bank is more tax to pay.

Also, anyone that was unfortunate enough to break into his house and take it, would very much regret it.

Caporegime
I left my physical bank card in a backpack for a month without realising this year. I don't even take my wallet out when I leave the house these days, everything is just done on phone or watch.
what do you do when the payment is refused?

I posted in here the other day saying google pay refused my £270 in sports direct.
There's no option to verify its you with a finger print or anything, it just got refused

it obviously wasn't my card because I paid with it after, also used my card to pay for something that cost almost 6k last year, went through without a hitch..
no doubt google pay would have refused that one too

never had an issue with it before, used it almost every time I needed to buy something.

but probably never over 150 before

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all

Do you still keep any cash at home in case of “emergencies”?
It's a hard no from me. I keep a bit in my wallet but overall consider that cash can be lost or destroyed much more easily. More important is to have a couple of backup/physical cards in case any of my accounts get blocked/compromised.

Associate
Hardly ever have cash on me - along with loose change it’s just annoying.

Iceland accept card everywhere and actively discourage using cash - makes life so much easier on holiday!

Soldato
I did hide an emergency tenner in my car for if I am out and about and have forgotten my wallet. But I know realise I've forgotten whereabouts I hid it :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom