Keeping “emergency” cash at home…

Caporegime
My parents inconveniently gave me this ages ago.
Never go to bank etc so it's still sat in the cash stash of mainly coins!

Flash the cash!

obM5TI3.jpeg

Soldato
I don't stash cash at home but usually have about £40 in my wallet, just pay on card\phone and anywhere that doesn't take card I use my little cash

Soldato
But the limit isn't high enough!
No limit on Apple Pay when it's properly implemented and I can't remember the last time I spent over £100 in a physical shop (other than the supermarket) in any case.
what do you do when the payment is refused?

I posted in here the other day saying google pay refused my £270 in sports direct.
There's no option to verify its you with a finger print or anything, it just got refused

it obviously wasn't my card because I paid with it after, also used my card to pay for something that cost almost 6k last year, went through without a hitch..
no doubt google pay would have refused that one too

never had an issue with it before, used it almost every time I needed to buy something.

but probably never over 150 before
It's not happened yet but I'd just have to leave whatever it was I was buying. I make 99% of my large purchases online though, as above.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I keep £10 in my card holder in case I need to go to a corner shop or something.

Anything more? No, because there are things called cash machines... About 3 within a 5 minute walk.. could easily withdraw £1k in an instant if needed. Keeping it at home for the sake of it makes zero sense.

Soldato
Anything more? No, because there are things called cash machines... About 3 within a 5 minute walk.. could easily withdraw £1k in an instant if needed. Keeping it at home for the sake of it makes zero sense.
What bank are you using that lets you draw £1K from a cash machine in one go?
That seems very high for a daily limit.

Soldato
I think some people have forgotten that not too long ago one of the banks basically lost it's ability to let it's customers do virtually anything (and the branch staff*) couldn't access accounts on their systems either.

Unless you've got at least two current accounts with completely different banks, or a credit card that is from a completely different issuer and type there is always a single point of failure that can remove your ability to use any electronic funds, even then if there is an internet outage or whatever you can be without your electronic cash.

I probably use card for about 95% of my purchases these days, but cash is always handy to have around.

*Good luck finding a branch that hasn't been trimmed these days ;)

It's good practice to at least have access to two different accounts from separate financial institutions, for this exact reason. It's not necessarily just for IT related issues either, but if you've had an incorrect fraud marker placed on your account (has happened to plenty of people) which locks your account out then you've got no access to those funds until they sort out the issue.

We keep a few quid in as our local chippy is cash only.

Soldato
OP
Possibly also why governments have all recently been telling people to “prep” with plenty food and water at home.

Seems a lot of this sort of IT “issues” recently:
I always have a good supply of stables like pasta, noodles, rice and few tins.

But I do a weekly shop for the food that I’m wanting to eat that week. That weekly shop is on a Saturday so I’m low on none stable food..

Soldato
Bumping this as some banks seem to be having an issue or two today…
A little cash doesn't seem like a terrible idea, payments might be working today but given the ever increasing complexity if payment systems there are going to be the odd times when plastic isn't available.

Associate
I never used to, but I think it may be wise to have access to some cash.

Just need to get hold of some now...

I rarely go into town as I have my groceries delivered. Thus never get to a cashpoint, or access cashback (is that still even a thing?)

Anyone got any spare cash their'd like to donate? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom