Kerbal Space Program

Soldato
Ohh come on..
Its safe too orbit Minimus at 5Km (Pe/Po) an depending on what terrain is below you, even 4Km is possible (Risk of going splat).
Try it, Minimus looks soo much better up close.

Any guides/info you can give on Geosync orbit over KSC, thats one thing I haven't done yet. :o

you need to get to 2870k roughly, which is around 1008m/s speed. How i got right above KSC i dont know, luck more than anything!

Associate
you need to get to 2870k roughly, which is around 1008m/s speed. How i got right above KSC i dont know, luck more than anything!
Thank you, will give that ago.
2870K Yikes thats high.

Is this one of those games that makes you suddenly look at the clock and think "oh **** it's 3am and I have to get up for work in 3 hours!" ??
Yes.
Kerbal Space Program, is presently in Active Development.
An in its present form, is a Sand Box game.
No campaign at present, but one is expected too be added when going Gold.

If your interested in the game, Download the Demo build: 13.3
Paid Build Version: 15.2 an give them a try.

Start by building a basic ship an try achieving orbit. (Pe/Po at 70000+ Meters or 70Km)
Or when your more experianced try orbiting/landing on the Mun.
Good luck explorer, keep us posted on your voyages. ;)

Associate
At Pinkfloyd, have you tried MecJeb, get it too fly the craft too stable orbit!
We know its impossible* for a players too pilot a craft at 1FPS, but the AI seems too do a good job!
Obviously the only alternatives are, less parts or Overclock your CPU! ;)

Associate
Is it CPU or gfx card limited? Does more cores help, or just outright speed.

Combination of both!
Obviously like any game, it will grind too a snails pace, if the resolution is high enough an the GFX card isn't fit!
Sadly, KSP will never likely support multiply monitors, due too an oversight on the Unity Engine. :mad:

But the game is primarily limited by your imagination an cpu power!
KSP is compiled on the latest version on Unity version 3.5!
This means the game has better memory management + MultiThreaded (NOT Multicore Yet)
So Game engine, Phyics Engine, Rendering Engine, Sound, Input are spread out over the Mutliple Threads an usually 2 Cores.

To give yourself the best gaming experiance, I strongly suggest a modern multiple core CPU. An Most importantly, Overclock it within an inch of its existance, because the extra Mhz help when your craft is made from hundreds of parts!
My PC 4.4GHz i5 2500K, will happily handle 500+ Parts, but its still 5-10FPS!

Too summarise, More Mhz, More Parts! ;)

On Topic, I managed a GyeoSync orbit! Thanks!

Soldato
Hurray I managed my first orbit, flyby of the moon and return to earth! :D :D :D

Really chuffed!

ksp1.png

ksp2.png

ksp3.png

Edit: That satellite thing is mad, I'm sure I don't have as many parts as you do to make that, but I purchased the game.... am I missing something?

Soldato
And more SAS and vectoring rockets. Then just hit T and don't tilt over till out of the atmosphere.
Also if it has enough power using half throttle on big rockets till your extremely high, helps preventing it from flipping.

Yeh, I just need to spend some time positioning rockets in the right places to keep the balance right as I launch.

Not certain whether I'm cpu or graphics limited at the moment. I only really have an issue on space stations, probably due to the kosmos pack which is quite high poly (so you'd assume graphics) - but due to the collisions I think the physics are probably hammering the cpu too. Imagine the future patch will help when it turns off collision within single crafts.

Used to have this rig nicely overclocked but the Bios forgot everything, not sure if I can be bothered again.... Although, 4 days off work now!

Piano Basher - I've got a fair few mods installed, Kosmos is the main one.
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=7178.0

Soldato
So is anyone actually using a reliable method to get into orbits, land on Mun etc or are you all just using trial and error like me? :D

Being out in space can be wildly disorienting, it'd be nice if you could see a vector in the map display to help get your bearings but nvm. Controls have taken me quite a while to get used to, it's too easy to treat it like any other game and assume that the keys will take you where you want!

Soldato
I've got the hang of orbits and getting to the Mun. Minimus is a bit more tricky to do but I've managed it. Both moons require a fair bit of patience, as depending when you take off the moon will be in a different spot, plus even the slightest difference in the acceleration or angle will completely change your path towards the moon. I've managed to fly direct to the Mun once or twice, one of those I was so directly flying towards it that by the time I realised I couldn't even change direction away from it :D

Soldato
So is anyone actually using a reliable method to get into orbits, land on Mun etc or are you all just using trial and error like me? :D!

Orbits I got nailed pretty quickly. Getting into one is just a case of tipping over to 270 deg once you hit 20k or so (at least that's how I do it).

Changing and evening out your orbit is pretty easy too, I followed this guide:

The only think I found confusing about orbiting was how to rotate them, but I found this a pretty good guide. Seem to have it nailed now. :)

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0

Once you can rotate orbit, you can get on an identical one to the mun, then just stretch it out until you get grabbed by it's gravity. :) It's covered in that forum post I linked, and the bloke that did the video has a few mun tutorials as well.

Definitely getting the hang of it now though. :p

catching.jpg

catching2.jpg

mun_2.jpg

Landing next! :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom