Kerbal Space Program

Soldato
Cool. :) I noticed the cost of parts was pretty meaningless in the free version, I presume the missions will use it more when they're in (do xyz with a budget of $xxxx)?

Might have to look into getting it tonight then. :p

Associate
Just tried the free version of this last night and had a great blast. :D

Does the paid version offer much more depth to the game with missions and scenarios to beat or stuff?

What makes it worth upgrading? :)

Cool. :) I noticed the cost of parts was pretty meaningless in the free version, I presume the missions will use it more when they're in (do xyz with a budget of $xxxx)?

Might have to look into getting it tonight then. :p

One of the biggest advantages to going paid version is, Continued support.
Demo version is locked off at 13.3 an its getting no extra features.

The paid versions continue to get updated every 4-8 weeks.
List of extra features in 15.2:
Persistance - Save an return to orbiting/landed vessels later.
Minimus - Secound orbiting Mun.
Terrain - New terrain models, significantly better GFX.
Run way + 20-30 new aircraft parts with engines.
Lander legs + Gears with animations.
New heat model, engines glow an have toggable On/Off switchs.
Automatic updater included.

All new Craft Files + Persistance Files are compatible with newest build.

KSP 16 is in development. 2 weeks now, list of planned features.
@ http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=13530.0

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's well worth getting if you like the demo

. Think one of the next things is keep track of costing of the ships so you can set yourself a budget.

It's not planned for the next release and I would be very surprised if it was included any time in the next year. It's an easy implementation and would stop us testing the game for them quickly after every new release.

I want two features more than anything else. Renetery physics and docking.
Reentry physics will make ships so much harder to build, any soft bits ripped or burnt of.. No more just having aging ship with just a parachute and just basically crashing it and deploying said chute.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's well worth getting if you like the demo

It's not planned for the next release and I would be very surprised if it was included any time in the next year. It's an easy implementation and would stop us testing the game for them quickly after every new release.

I want two features more than anything else. Renetery physics and docking.
Reentry physics will make ships so much harder to build, any soft bits ripped or burnt of.. No more just having aging ship with just a parachute and just basically crashing it and deploying said chute.

I imagine both of those features will be quite hard to implement although i also would love to see them, being able to put up a space station in parts would be utterly fantastic. Then watch it crash into the earth because you slightly nudged it :p

Man of Honour
I imagine both of those features will be quite hard to implement although i also would love to see them, being able to put up a space station in parts would be utterly fantastic. Then watch it crash into the earth because you slightly nudged it :p

They're planned and docking has already been worked on, just not ready for release yet.

Soldato

Oh yeh I wouldn't want them to implement it in a way that would restrict us from sandbox style play. Would be nice of it to currently have a total saying how expensive your ship is though :D

Re-entry and Docking will be awesome once it is ingame and working :D

Associate
KSP-2012-06-11-16-36-08-68.jpg

Not many people would find this interesting but, i have been trying to find the maximum distance you can orbit kerbin while keeping a near perfect circle. Periapsis is 82,504,112m. Which is very close to being a near circle orbit.

Associate
Great work Marc.
I am not one for getting perfect orbits, just dont see the point. But I know it takes skill to achieve them! :D
I usually try close too perfect circle, 1-2KM variation, thats about 500M - 1KM above stable orbit! So for Kerbin, 700KM-700.5KM over kerbin! just so I have a perfect view!
Or I just go nuts, an do the opposite, with massive differences in Pe-Po distance! An use low orbit litho-brakeing. :D
Scares the **** out of the Kerbals every time, while under 20+G Deaceleration! :cool:

Having finally made it too Minimus, I am busy discovering it! Or finding lost air bases on Kerbin at present!

Soldato
Read the last few pages, this is something that gets brought up every other page now

I figured it out myself in the end. :o

First orbit went eliptical (I guess it does for most people) and I had no idea what to do in order to calm it down, ran out of fuel trying. :o :(

Found a video explaining very simply how to smooth out an orbit though. Second attempt went much nicer. :cool: :D

screenshot0.jpg

Trying to figure out how to rotate orbits now. :o

Last edited:
Associate
I figured it out myself in the end. :o

First orbit went eliptical (I guess it does for most people) and I had no idea what to do in order to calm it down, ran out of fuel trying. :o :(

Found a video explaining very simply how to smooth out an orbit

Trying to figure out how to rotate orbits now. :o

Easy...
If you wish too keep said orbit in picture perfectly circular.
Turn ASAS off, Then A/D too bank Left/Right to 90 Degrees from original vector an burn until orbit change is complete.

That make sense?

Soldato
Easy...
If you wish too keep said orbit in picture perfectly circular.
Turn ASAS off, Then A/D too bank Left/Right to 90 Degrees from original vector an burn until orbit change is complete.

That make sense?

I think it makes sense. You just point at the horizon, perpendicular to your orbit path and burn?

I thought I'd tried it but wasn't having much success last night. Does it take a powerful engine or a long burn to make a big change in angle?

Thanks. :)

Soldato
I think it makes sense. You just point at the horizon, perpendicular to your orbit path and burn?

I thought I'd tried it but wasn't having much success last night. Does it take a powerful engine or a long burn to make a big change in angle?

Thanks. :)
It can take a fairly long burn. If you keep yourself in the map view so you can see your orbit path, keep yourself aligned as need be (the required position will change as your orbit turns) and just keep an eye as you burn.
Say for example you wanted to change your 100km orbit of Kerbin from vertical to horizontal, you have to burn long enough that your horizontal speed increases to around 2km/s and your vertical speed gets to around 0. It'll take a while :)

Managed to land a base on the moon yesterday! :D Next step is minimus!

Soldato
Cool. I'll give it another try then. :) Is there much difference in fuel usage depending on how I do it? I mean, would a slow long burn be more efficient than a quicker burn at full whack?

Also, what's the use in the RCS system? It's obviously meant for changing attitude while in orbit or whatever, but I seem to be able to do that regardless of whether it's turned off or on anyway.

Cheers again. :)

Back
Top Bottom