kicking people out of the group last minute

Associate
What a horrible thing to do!

I also had this problem, but why deny them a mark, if you're going to kick them out at least give them time to regroup wtih someone else \:

No, what's horrible is letting other members of the group having to cover the work they didn't do.

Why deny then a mark? because they did no work.
Allow they to rejoin another group so they can ruin another groups marks by not doing any work. Now that would be a horrible thing to do.

Soldato
Currently in my graduate year project all work submitted also needs a soft copy emailed with all the work done by each member colour coded.

So all my work would in blue, another in green and so on. Along with a declaration of the breakdown of work at the end, signed and dated by each member.
It's all to help prevent all this, everyone is marked individually to some extent and the quality and amount of work they contributed.

Really what you need to have done was brought this all up with your supervisor, not that it's always easy or helps. My supervisor is extremely hard to get in touch with.

Soldato
Just wondering if i was too harsh, kicking 3 members out of the group last minute, and now they will fail. these 3 did not contribute to the group, and as i didnt know how it was going to be marked i decided as team leader to kick them out at the last hour of the deadline, so they have no hope in hell to get a mark now.

Chalk it down as an learning exercise in how not to lead a team.

Soldato
I hated team projects at Uni. This happened to me once because the group contain a "mature" students who was only in one day a week and thought the world revolved around him.

He decided I wasn't welcome a week before hand in date. I'd actually already done a large portion of the practical work but I wasn't going to tell him that. They didn't get a particularly good mark. I did. It was the other members of the team I felt sorry for but the look on his face was fairly priceless.

Tbh op, as team leader, dismissing people from the group on deadline day reflects badly on you as well as them. I'd mark you all down.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
You may not even be allowed to throw them out anyway. If you've been assigned a group to work with then you don't get a choice.

I'm not saying group work is easy but if you were having trouble you shouldnt have left it to the the last minute. Being the team leader isnt about bossing people around, its about getting everyone to work together. What I'm trying to say is this will probably reflect worse on you than it will on them.

I gave them every opportunity, to get in contact, they had 3 weeks and i emailed them telling them that they had 2 days to contact me before we kicked them out. The project also involves giving each other grades, they would have accounted for 33 percent of our grading.

Anyway still no email, I gave the teaching assistant copies she responded it was fine, if they don't pull their weight then kicking them was fair as in work situation they would have been fired.

aln

aln

Associate
Just wondering if i was too harsh, kicking 3 members out of the group last minute, and now they will fail. these 3 did not contribute to the group, and as i didnt know how it was going to be marked i decided as team leader to kick them out at the last hour of the deadline, so they have no hope in hell to get a mark now.

I successfully "kicked" some people out of a group project at Uni. We did this by talking to the supivisor on a weekly basis, letting him know the problems we're facing. Just kicking them out at the last minute would have probably got the rest of the group a fail.

Man of Honour
If your management of the group, ability to provide context and communications were as incoherent as your description of the situation in the OP, I am not at all surprised they didn't provide any input.

Soldato
I personally would throw them out.

The error here though is that you haven't notified anyone of them doing nothing prior to now, if I was you I'd have explained this to whoever is marking the work a lot sooner.

I was in the same situation during University, there was a group of 4 where only 2 of us were doing work. We went to our lecturer and explained the situation. Between the two of us we had actually done all of the work, so it was decided we would hand in two pieces of work - the one that "they" had contributed to, and the one we had done all the work for.

It was then made clear the amount of effort they hadn't put in, we got very good marks for the effort and quality of work, and they failed.

Caporegime
At end of day if you can justify why you kicked them out and the process that led tot hat decision then I cant see how it can negatively affect your grade, when in fact looking at your vague reasoning you removed them to prevent it affecting your grade.

Im sure its all subjective, Id just be ready to tackle that question as youll be asked it if the grading doesnt go the way you expected. I just see it like a work project where if people arent doing what they are supposed to in a timely manner that youd ultimately remove them from the team or essentially fire them, the only issue I can see in your situation as team leader is leaving it to the last minute...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
We did this. In an assignment there were individually completed and marked components, and group components. This was rubbish as the slacker kid (who was put in the group by the module tutor!) just worked on the bits to be marked against their name, and did nothing for the group bits.

When it came to handin we had to sign a piece of paper saying what percentage contribution towards the group components each member of the group had done, and the tutor would use this when marking (i.e. anyone who had done over one sixth of the work would get more, and anyone who had done less than one sixth would get less).

I took a vote at a team meeting (funnily enough he didn't turn up to any) and the decision was to write that the slacker kid did 0% of the group components. When it came to signing and he thought about objecting it was "Listen mate, we're all ears. If you can tell us what you contributed to the group components we'll gladly change it".

He couldn't, so signed that he did 0% of the group components.

He failed the module.

The rest of us all got Firsts.

Soldato
you failed them, as manager you should have taken this into hand.

and your lack or information in the first post, is probaly indicitive of how much info you gave them before the drop.

i personaly think you failed yourself too, it would be interesting to see if your this ruthless in the work place.

but hey some of us just need to muscle on with what weve got, even if that is a loser on the team.

good luck with your future

Back
Top Bottom