1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids Today & Tech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by randomshenans, Nov 20, 2019.

1. DXP55

Mobster

Chap over the road thinks the same so he tries to involve his 14 yr old lad on things he does- to be honest he is flogging a dead horse - All the kid is interested in is his phone and football - he says go get me the double ended spanner and he comes back with a screwdriver.
    Have to say daughter number two is quite clued up though but even she roll's her eyes and slouches when he asks for help on something.
    Glad I don't have these problems - it's bad enough with the wife.

2. kinobestew123

Wise Guy

It comes down to being curious. Some people are more curious than others and it's a hard thing to teach somebody to be curious, they either are or they arn't.

If a random question pops into my head, I won't rest until I've found out the answer/googled it. Lots of people though just seem to think the question then simply arn't bothered about finding out the answer.

I don't believe that somebody needs to be taught how to fix something to do it, they just need to be curious enough to go to the effort to figure it out. Nobody has ever taught me how to fix a car for example but I've done plenty of quite involved jobs on my car after researching how to first.

Nowadays, there are a lot of people that can't or won't even change a bulb on their car. They seem happy paying Halfords a chunk of cash to just do it for them.

3. kinobestew123

Wise Guy

How did the OP know that and fix it? It's exactly the same.

4. koolpc

Capodecina

Your attitude towards your children is shocking. I would never be like that to my child

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  5. Marvt74

Capodecina

Yeah but your daughter probably isn't spazzy :p

6. Biz.Kid09

Sgarrista

Hes 33 and has over 10k posts on a computer enthusiasts forum. He has also built PC's and so forth so he knows exactly where to start if there was a cooling issue (he knew it had a cooling issue before he handed it over also it seems)

How would a 15yr old who is being given a PC by his dad know what to do? I guess its best he just took the side panel off and started taking it apart potentially causing more damage just in the sake of 'learning'.

7. Thekwango

Capodecina

rose tinted glasses my friend.....teens across the generations are notoriously lazy sods in general. all they're interested in is lazying about, fiddling with themselves and wishing they were being treated like adults.

8. b00merang69

Perma Banned

No actually I do not need glasses (20/16 here), this generation is worse than any before and imagine if they had to grow up in 60-70's with no central heating and a bath once per week for school (washed in sink rest of week) or god forbid the WW2 days like some of our parents.

9. kinobestew123

Wise Guy

Maybe he could have got on the internet and researched what the issue could be. Possibly even found his way to OcUK and asked the question. He could have taken the side off and had a look if anything was obviously wrong without doing anything that would obviously damage the computer. He could have spoken to his dad and see if his dad had any suggestions of what the issue could be and then researched the fix. What he actaully did was nothing at all.

10. RobDogDog

Wise Guy

I regularly get statements rather than questions at work. "My mouse isn't working". Quite often I just go "Okay" and watch the utter confusion come across their faces when I don't immediately get up to help. A little politeness goes a long way.

11. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

He probably understands other things instead hopefully.

12. Maccapacca

Tea

Helicopter parenting, it is very easy to just do everything for the horrible sods and they don't learn a thing wafting along in blissful ignorance.

13. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Why has GD allowed you to get away with expressing your age like that? Are you saying you're 33 and four fifths? It's that really what you just said in that post?

Also, if your lad had actually attempted to fix the PC with no experience and no help from you, this thread would have opened up with...

"My Spazzy wean just ****** up the water cooled PC I built him, he's such a total mouth breather I just had to clean some flies off his front teeth..."

14. Scania

Capodecina

My 20 month old toddler granddaughter can unlock an iPhone, browse YouTube videos for the particular Pepper Pig episode she wants, find Pepper Pig on Sky, the difference between her and her mother at comparable ages is stark and startling!

Fear not OP, the future is brighter than you think.....

15. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Lol @ "Pepper Pig"

That's made me laugh more than it should. :p

16. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

The Secret Diary of randomshenans, Aged 33 and 4/5th. :D

17. Dis86

Suspended

All too common. I'm interviewing for apprentices at the minute and 99% of them are thick, lazy and entitled.

18. Scania

Capodecina

At 20 months my daughter was obsessed with Teletubbies, I’d say that’s progress! :D

19. BowdonUK

Mobster

I don't think the younger generations appreciate the hardware tech like we used to back in the day. But I think a lot of that was because we had a lot of time on our hands.

I don't think recent generations are as creative as previous generations when it comes to computer stuff. We see the results in the games we get to play these days, most of them are boring or repeat versions of previous games.

20. plasmahal

Mobster

This is the answer, close thread.