1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids Today & Tech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by randomshenans, Nov 20, 2019.

1. randomshenans

Capodecina

Both have one. Both can use Scratch pretty well. Set them up with that ages ago and took them through it.

Haha love you.

This is kind of my point as well. I don't know if it's French schools or what, but I try and teach them more and more about solving an issue by doing all the above. Or even any of it. Again, I'm not sure if it's schools over here teaching to just remember stuff, but life is all about being able to find solutions and information.

lol it's actually 11/12ths if you want to be pedantic. I was being funny. Seems I missed this one.

I wouldn't though, if he was taking it apart in general I'd be pleased he'd given it a go. Or, as above, came to me and said "reckon you'd give me a hand in taking this apart to fix it"

This thread is fun :D

2. Dis86

Capodecina

I enjoyed it. Tickled that happy place inside.

3. mmj_uk

Capodecina

Jordan Peterson summed it up well in a video I saw, kids today don't even know how to solve the tiniest of problems in their own lives so they attach themselves to big ideas like Climate Change that they know they can't do anything about to appear more intelligent and virtuous, anyone who doesn't share their ideals of obsessing about such huge problems is a bad person/thicko and not worth their time to learn anything from.

I wouldn't just blame schools though, social media has taken over peoples lives, they spend all of their time in an online world so they rarely make the time to disconnect and engage with the physical world around them.

4. malachi

Sgarrista

I agree.

What happens now if your iDevice or Tesla packs up out of warranty!?!!? Good luck trying to repair them IF (that's a big IF) you open it, never mind sourcing the parts.

5. randomshenans

Capodecina

I fully agree with that too. They don't want you to repair things yourselves. How many TV repair shops do you see on the high street these days? Always had one in a town growing up!

6. malachi

Sgarrista

True but then again, my old LCD Samsung TV pack up a few years back. Opened it up, its basically the screen, AV board and PSU. Easy to repair, if it was an old fat back CRT....TV repair shops would be handy....which don't exist anymore.

7. 200sols

Mobster

They dont want you to repair things. Despite the OP being a terrible parent he is right, we do live in a throwaway culture of 'just buy new' :)

8. randomshenans

Capodecina

I’ll set my kids on you! They are always hungry and will have you. I don’t feed them to make sure they’re good like that.

9. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Making money, by doing code? :p

10. Dis86

Capodecina

Course, there was that guy in motors pulling in near 6 figures at 18 who wanted a bottom of the range used Merc!

11. theone8181

Mobster

Did he ever get it in the end?

12. Dis86

Capodecina

Bought two Chirons instead. Nah, think he got banned for being a bit of a bell.

13. Hagar

Sgarrista

I took a stereo radiogram apart when I was nine years old. I could not put it back together again though. :D

Later when I bought cheap bikes and cars I had to learn how to do both.

14. Kronos

Catwalker

My last job prior to retirement I was the oldest bloke by decades yet it was me the youngsters came to to fix their tech, i suspect some would have trouble changing a light bulb and totally unable to put up a shelf. I was not taught this stuff as I did not live with my father but doing stuff yourself was just they way it was.

15. Marvt74

Capodecina

Able to narrow it down a bit. That describes a lot of users on here!

16. randomshenans

Capodecina

Guilty.

17. Marvt74

Capodecina

You're not banned (yet) :p

18. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

You have to remember we were all basically brought up on DOS and if you wanted a new counterstrike map you made it. Things are far more streamlined than what they were and kids just do not learn the core values of using technology so when something goes wrong they have a wet fart. Opening up com ports and entering address' to get two things to communicate is just unheard of now.

19. Scort

Mobster

All I could think of, when reading OP:

:D

20. mrk

Man of Terrible Jokes

Location? I went to school in both Stoke and the south coast and was taught woodwork, metal fabrication and electronics right down to PCB design and soldering components to make basic gadgets like alarm clocks and things. That was alongside the usual core subjects.

All in the late 90s and early 2000s...