Kingdom Come: Deliverance - open world RPG, february 13th

Associate
Having got through the prologue and woken up in Rattay, I can safely say I am well and truly hooked on this game. At 27 nearly 28 I started to feel like games were a chore and just something to pass the time - wasn't particularly enjoying my time playing them. Now, this game has resparked my enthusiasm for them!

Sure its buggy and it has a steep learning curve but this is part of the charm of this game. It simply doesn't hold you hand and point you where to go or how to do things its completely down to you on how you handle the situation. This for me has already trounced Skyrim and W3. This is simply 'a must play' game for fans of RPG.

Shawrey

Soldato
Playing on Xb1x at the moment and its smooth at 1440p/30fps. Loading times aren't bad. Do plan to double dip at somepoint and get it on PC. Modding community is going to be big on this I think!

Shawrey

Loading times seem to be bad for PC users as well. If I had the Xbox One X I would probably get it, but, I only have the original Xbox One. I just think it would look amazing on an OLED Tv. And yeah, modding is going to be huge, it always is for these games.

Soldato
Having got through the prologue and woken up in Rattay, I can safely say I am well and truly hooked on this game. At 27 nearly 28 I started to feel like games were a chore and just something to pass the time - wasn't particularly enjoying my time playing them. Now, this game has resparked my enthusiasm for them!

Sure its buggy and it has a steep learning curve but this is part of the charm of this game. It simply doesn't hold you hand and point you where to go or how to do things its completely down to you on how you handle the situation. This for me has already trounced Skyrim and W3. This is simply 'a must play' game for fans of RPG.

Shawrey
Don't make such statements ;) starting to make me feel like checking it out! Im not in need of a game right now but I will keep an eye on this one going forward as I can't ignore that ^^ ;)

Soldato
Started playing this yesterday (finally!!!) and feel like it's going to be a good one - only just left the first area and got caught nicking a bow, when I should have been keeping a watch out from ramparts :D Might have to reload, as I got locked up and failed my first mission in this new area :(

So far though, I'm enjoying it - the graphics (PS4 Pro) aren't amazing, but they're also not that bad - I guess its just lacking in texture resolution that grabs me the most, but the size/scope of the game would likely account for this.

Associate
Loading times seem to be bad for PC users as well. If I had the Xbox One X I would probably get it, but, I only have the original Xbox One. I just think it would look amazing on an OLED Tv. And yeah, modding is going to be huge, it always is for these games.

The loading times are about 15/20 seconds in most cases. The initial load is approx. 1 minute before getting to your save game.

Running it on a 55" LG c7 OLED and its stunning ;). Only slight gripe is the grass effects are lacking texture and have some jaggies but pfft not worried the wider view like the roads, buildings/fixtures and scale is just something to truly behold.

Considering this was a kickstarter and did not have a humongous budget unlike Bethesda/CDPR for Skyrim/W3 respectively - it is a triumph!

Shawrey

Soldato
Running it on a 55" LG c7 OLED and its stunning ;).

I am slightly jealous :) I only have the LG 910v, a 55 inch 1080p OLED TV.

After reading more reviews of the game, It's going to be one I will get, just not at the moment. Will wait for a few patches to be released first.

Soldato
Put in a few more hours last night - really enjoying it, but two things: the save points are harsh! The lock picking is mental!!

Save points - without swigging a schnapps, the save points are often quite far between, and I fall foul of this a few times, when trying to steal things :D I'm in two minds about the saves though - as not having the freedom to save, unless you have the aforementioned schnapps; makes it a bit more immersive and forces you to think things through. I hear its being patched, hopefully they maybe introduce a timed saved rather than a quicksave...

Lock picking - arrrrrgggggh! A 'very easy' lock almost sent a controller flying last night!! I think it's a bit too hard at the moment, a very easy lock has so much movement and vibration, it makes it very difficult to pick slowly. I found it was actually better to find the sweet spot, and turn the lock quickly, but goodness knows what harder locks will be like! Hopefully the patch will make it smoother, or reward you for taking it slowly. I did find a trainer for lock picking last night though, but he wanted 60 gold for basic training!

Still a bit disappointed by the texture resolution/clarity on the PS4 Pro - not sure what it's like on the X bone X - but it's something I can often move past, because there is so much else to the game. The immersion being one of those things - I found myself without a horse, faced with a lengthy walk, in the late evening - and I had to actually plan my journey - making sure I had food before hand! Stuff like this sets it apart imo, and so does the lean towards realism over fantasy.

Can't wait to fire it up again tonight, just woke up in the first big town :)

Associate
Put in a few more hours last night - really enjoying it, but two things: the save points are harsh! The lock picking is mental!!

Save points - without swigging a schnapps, the save points are often quite far between, and I fall foul of this a few times, when trying to steal things :D I'm in two minds about the saves though - as not having the freedom to save, unless you have the aforementioned schnapps; makes it a bit more immersive and forces you to think things through. I hear its being patched, hopefully they maybe introduce a timed saved rather than a quicksave...

Lock picking - arrrrrgggggh! A 'very easy' lock almost sent a controller flying last night!! I think it's a bit too hard at the moment, a very easy lock has so much movement and vibration, it makes it very difficult to pick slowly. I found it was actually better to find the sweet spot, and turn the lock quickly, but goodness knows what harder locks will be like! Hopefully the patch will make it smoother, or reward you for taking it slowly. I did find a trainer for lock picking last night though, but he wanted 60 gold for basic training!

Still a bit disappointed by the texture resolution/clarity on the PS4 Pro - not sure what it's like on the X bone X - but it's something I can often move past, because there is so much else to the game. The immersion being one of those things - I found myself without a horse, faced with a lengthy walk, in the late evening - and I had to actually plan my journey - making sure I had food before hand! Stuff like this sets it apart imo, and so does the lean towards realism over fantasy.

Can't wait to fire it up again tonight, just woke up in the first big town :)

I'm on Xb1x & Lockpicking becomes easier once you get the knack of it. I practiced on Miller Peshek's infinite Easy chest in Rattay and built up to level 5. This makes all Very Easy/Easy locks a doddle and havent broken a pick since yet. Pro-tip - turn the vibration off on your controller as it makes picking the lock a lot easier ;). The key is being able to rotate the right and left sticks at the same speed once youve nailed the sweet spot as quickly as possible. If you come out of the sweet spot whilst turning the lock - release both sticks to restart.

Textures are really good on Xb1x bar the grass but I'm hardly fussed with that while im looking at the buildings, roads and castles :p

Shawrey

Soldato
I'm on Xb1x & Lockpicking becomes easier once you get the knack of it. I practiced on Miller Peshek's infinite Easy chest in Rattay and built up to level 5. This makes all Very Easy/Easy locks a doddle and havent broken a pick since yet. Pro-tip - turn the vibration off on your controller as it makes picking the lock a lot easier ;). The key is being able to rotate the right and left sticks at the same speed once youve nailed the sweet spot as quickly as possible. If you come out of the sweet spot whilst turning the lock - release both sticks to restart.

Textures are really good on Xb1x bar the grass but I'm hardly fussed with that while im looking at the buildings, roads and castles :p

Shawrey

That's where I have just arrived, so I'll have a look for this chest to practice on - I'm probably level 1 or 0 presently. I did read about turning off the rumble, but thought 'bugger that' :D

Don't think I can justify buying a XboneX for KCD and PUBG, when my standard Xbone only gets used for Forza every now and then! But it's interesting to know it might look a bit nicer on that platform.

Associate
That's where I have just arrived, so I'll have a look for this chest to practice on - I'm probably level 1 or 0 presently. I did read about turning off the rumble, but thought 'bugger that' :D

Don't think I can justify buying a XboneX for KCD and PUBG, when my standard Xbone only gets used for Forza every now and then! But it's interesting to know it might look a bit nicer on that platform.

Miller Peshek should have a dialog option to teach you to lockpick and you'll teleport to behind the mill where the chest is. It's infinite use so feel free to feel your way around the locks. The pick you use doesn't break on the training chest :p.

It should do its 1440p on Xb1x and 1080p on Ps4 Pro. I had no qualms about upgrading the standard Xbox one to the 1X. The gaming PC is just sat in the corner gathering dust presently as the friend group only play consoles :rolleyes:.

Shawrey

Soldato
Miller Peshek should have a dialog option to teach you to lockpick and you'll teleport to behind the mill where the chest is. It's infinite use so feel free to feel your way around the locks. The pick you use doesn't break on the training chest :p.

It should do its 1440p on Xb1x and 1080p on Ps4 Pro. I had no qualms about upgrading the standard Xbox one to the 1X. The gaming PC is just sat in the corner gathering dust presently as the friend group only play consoles :rolleyes:.

Shawrey

I'm on PS4 and my lockpicks broke. It broke them all. So I turned to ask him for some more but the talk icon was shaded out, and I don't have anymore lockpicks.

I don't know what the controller feels like with the Xb1x but on the ps4 its extremely difficult. I'm nearly at the point of giving up on the game until the patch comes out.

To @melmac - if you haven't got 110% hand control then go for the PC version as there is a Mod out that helps with lockpicking.

Soldato
I'm on PS4 and my lockpicks broke. It broke them all. So I turned to ask him for some more but the talk icon was shaded out, and I don't have anymore lockpicks.

I don't know what the controller feels like with the Xb1x but on the ps4 its extremely difficult. I'm nearly at the point of giving up on the game until the patch comes out.

To @melmac - if you haven't got 110% hand control then go for the PC version as there is a Mod out that helps with lockpicking.

Same situation here, guess it was patched in 1.2 - as the Xbox version only recently got that. I decided to carry on with other stuff though, planning to return to The Good Thief after the 1.3 patch, but I found a lockpick trainer near the place you start Awakening. He can teach the basics, then find easy locks and doors to practice on in free roam. 5hink I'm up to level 4 now and the lock picking isn't as bad - I have 30 picks just in case though :D

Soldato
Same situation here, guess it was patched in 1.2 - as the Xbox version only recently got that. I decided to carry on with other stuff though, planning to return to The Good Thief after the 1.3 patch, but I found a lockpick trainer near the place you start Awakening. He can teach the basics, then find easy locks and doors to practice on in free roam. 5hink I'm up to level 4 now and the lock picking isn't as bad - I have 30 picks just in case though :D

Same here. I managed to finally do the good thief quest after a lot of loading and reloading lol. One thing for others to note, if you are near your bed you can sleep for an hour and it'll save the game, so you don't need to use a schnapps drink. Also make sure it is your bed. I slept in a bed and wasted 6 hours wondering why it wasnt saving, then realised it wasnt my bed :)

Associate
Same here. I managed to finally do the good thief quest after a lot of loading and reloading lol. One thing for others to note, if you are near your bed you can sleep for an hour and it'll save the game, so you don't need to use a schnapps drink. Also make sure it is your bed. I slept in a bed and wasted 6 hours wondering why it wasnt saving, then realised it wasnt my bed :)

Your own bed is in the Mill at Rattay. However, there are magic sharing chests at any Inn that you can buy a bed for the night. Usually only costs a couple of Groshen to stay at an Inn so hardly breaking the bank even by this games standards. Feel free to store your ill gotten gains in these chests at the Inn then fast travel to Rattay Mill to claim them back and sell them to the fence - Miller Peshek or leave them in the chest to eventually become your own Items.

Pro Tip: Dont get caught wandering around Castles with stolen items as the guards will challenge you to be searched and with low speech levels you wont be able to bluff them away and you'll end up with a hefty fine/jail time. Alternatively, if you can't store your stolen loot in a chest, put them in the saddle of your horse while walking round places you'll get searched as stuff on the horse isn't checked.

Shawrey

Soldato
Having spent most of my weekend on this, I am LOVING it!

It feels so immersive, so spot on... just, great! I love the fact it seems to be set in summer, so you are often gifted with blue sky and sun, whilst you traverse gorgeous scenery and a bygone world. I love the fact that the combat feels so raw, maybe not as brutal as something like Condemned, but it feel intelligent and dangerous!

I'm only starting to level up my lock picking and sneaking - I love the old Thief games from PC, so most of my characters in things like this and Oblivion/Skyrim - so will eventually like to have a character setup that emulates that sort of play style. But for now, my lowly wannabe knight is fine :)

I have uncovered most of the map, mainly by foot - as I missed the opportunity to nab a free horse, but doing it this way has lead to several memorable and enjoyable encounters... like seeing a random traveler, and deciding to use him as a target for ranking my bow up; he took an arrow in the back and started to flee me, the game telling me that I could be reported and my status be affected! So I took off and chased him down, managing a few slashes with the sword, before he ran into a forest; shortly collapsing and dying due to his injuries. Only, I had failed to notice a camp in front of me, and three foreign knights started to chase me!

Or the time where I had to recover a gem, and found a small bandit camp - I hid nearby and waited for nightfall, sneaking into the camp to knock out and then run through both bandits within :D Thus making it my new mission to seek out these camps and kill the enemies within; though, I have been chased out by a few, as they have greater numbers and kit!!

I have got used to the awful lock picking, but can only currently manage easy locks and below. The almost punishing save system is also something I have got used to, and I like the way they have implemented it - so hopefully this wont change in the next patch! I have also FINALLY got a fence for stolen goods, and although I probably get less than 40% of item value, I have been able to amass a bit of wealth - 3k wow :D

It takes time to gel with this game, and I can easily see how many people would be put off of it within the first few hours of play, but it is certainly worth sticking with, and spending the time to approach things differently - it's almost a simulator level of gameplay. I certainly urge those sitting on the fence, to pick up a copy - these devs deserve for this game it do well imo.

Had my first bug yesterday though - a corrupted schnapps save, but it's been absolutely fine aside from this.

Soldato
Your own bed is in the Mill at Rattay. However, there are magic sharing chests at any Inn that you can buy a bed for the night. Usually only costs a couple of Groshen to stay at an Inn so hardly breaking the bank even by this games standards. Feel free to store your ill gotten gains in these chests at the Inn then fast travel to Rattay Mill to claim them back and sell them to the fence - Miller Peshek or leave them in the chest to eventually become your own Items.

Pro Tip: Dont get caught wandering around Castles with stolen items as the guards will challenge you to be searched and with low speech levels you wont be able to bluff them away and you'll end up with a hefty fine/jail time. Alternatively, if you can't store your stolen loot in a chest, put them in the saddle of your horse while walking round places you'll get searched as stuff on the horse isn't checked.

Shawrey

Some helpful tips there - I wasn't aware of some of these, so thanks :)

Associate
Some helpful tips there - I wasn't aware of some of these, so thanks :)

Another good tip, is that if you have stolen stuff from one town (Trader's in the same place won't be interested in stolen loot) but ball over to a different town and the Traders at the other end of the land wont have a scooby doo that the nice sword or sheild you happen to have for sale was appropriated from someone elses property or dead/unconcious body... :D;) they'll pay top Groshen for such fine wares!

Shawrey

Soldato
Another good tip, is that if you have stolen stuff from one town (Trader's in the same place won't be interested in stolen loot) but ball over to a different town and the Traders at the other end of the land wont have a scooby doo that the nice sword or sheild you happen to have for sale was appropriated from someone elses property or dead/unconcious body... :D;) they'll pay top Groshen for such fine wares!

Shawrey

Hahahaha, that's handy too! Seems that waiting for the stolen marker to clear, can take a random amount of time - at least from what I read at lunchtime.

Back
Top Bottom