Kingdom Come: Deliverance / Open-World RPG / Medieval History

Soldato
So what is the deal with the combat? It caused me to abandon the game and I'm reading that it's been the same for others. Is it just poorly implemented or so unusual that folk aren't getting to grips with it? I don't have a lot of patience for playing stealth all the time and would like to give it another go. Is the combat experience much different on controller vs. m & kb? Someone allay my concerns and send me back to this game please...

I think it's just a learning curve. I went 2 handed sword, stuck to 3 step combos, and parrying. Lots of practice in the practice ring helps get it. I like that it's not a quick thing, and if you're out numbered it's genuinely tricky and you have to worry about positioning etc.

Soldato
OP
So what is the deal with the combat? It caused me to abandon the game and I'm reading that it's been the same for others. Is it just poorly implemented or so unusual that folk aren't getting to grips with it? I don't have a lot of patience for playing stealth all the time and would like to give it another go. Is the combat experience much different on controller vs. m & kb? Someone allay my concerns and send me back to this game please...

The "deal" is that it requires some learning, I suppose? I played with controller, with hardcore mode enabled. I was weak peasant at the start, got better over time as both myself and Henry increased his skill, and enjoyed it. I dunno. I did spend about an hour just practicing with cpt. Bernard and learning some moves from him.
Of course, fighting against multiple opponents is always dicey and Henry better have a very good armor before trying that out.

Soldato
I tried this when it first came out, played an hour or so and it didn't stick in the slightest. The thirst for an RPG to tide me over until May (lots of new releases coming out) has struck. Is there a list of essential mods or is it fine to play vanilla for a first playthrough?

Additionally, my understanding is that you're just some kid who is the son of a blacksmith and you simply learn skills to become a fighter... Is there anything else to it? I remember some mention on release about sneaking into a church or something. But for some reason, the scale of the game doesn't seem to be in my thoughts and I keep thinking this is some tiny map with very little to do.

What is it that grips people to this? I love the idea of being an alchemist assassin, a bit fantasy yes, is such a thing possible?

i feel you but it really is just like any skill, you need to learn to do it. no different to pick pocketing, lockpicking, etc.

i never really felt the need to stealth other than to avoid 2/3 guys that will and SHOULD, clearly kick my butt.

the ring is really helpful. once it clicks it really is fairly straight forward

Soldato
Additionally, my understanding is that you're just some kid who is the son of a blacksmith and you simply learn skills to become a fighter... Is there anything else to it? I remember some mention on release about sneaking into a church or something. But for some reason, the scale of the game doesn't seem to be in my thoughts and I keep thinking this is some tiny map with very little to do.

It is by no means a tiny map. You can fast travel if you choose, but I advoided doing so and in hardcore you can't. Travel needs to be planned in hardcore, as there's no location indicator on the map, and you often need to break up journeys due to roadside combat and hunger etc.

You can certainly play stealthy, poisoning is also possible in lots of circumstances such as poisoning your weapons, but there's a high risk of collateral damage if you poison food etc.

I absolutely love the game. I am in awe anyone made such a game, and the detail within is phenomenal. It clearly isn't a game for everyone though, given this thread.

Soldato
OP
I tried this when it first came out, played an hour or so and it didn't stick in the slightest. The thirst for an RPG to tide me over until May (lots of new releases coming out) has struck. Is there a list of essential mods or is it fine to play vanilla for a first playthrough?

What is it that grips people to this? I love the idea of being an alchemist assassin, a bit fantasy yes, is such a thing possible?

I played without mods and it was fine. I do recommend hardcore mode though, it is more challenging but also more immersive. Makes even just exploring more engaging since you have no GPS to rely on. But it works well, if you are willing to pay attention to your environment. But before going hardcore it is good to know what you are getting into, for example knowing how some mechanics work, and realizing that there is no autosave and being cognizant of that.

Stealth is fairly important part of the game, you can pickpocket people, kill them from behind or in their sleep. Or you can sneak into enemy camp, poison their food and wait for them to start going sick or dying, that stuff is possible. Of course, I played a good guy who mostly didn't resort to stealing from honest citizens or killing them in their sleep.

Associate
I managed to level up pickpocketing whilst I was a monk at the monastery. I'd wait until everyone went to bed then bam, pickpocket everyone :)
I even enjoyed following the rules the rest of the time.

Permabanned
Loved this game. I played it long after release, so most bugs were ironed out. The learning progression makes the time you put into learning certain skills feel rewarding. You are so weak at the start and it’s certainly not a game you can expect to race through, it’s more of a take your time and explore. At first I thought the riding was terrible, and the combat even worse, but after many hours it felt much better. The atmosphere is great also. The only thing I’d change is the food being too easy to come by.

Can’t wait for the second game.

Permabanned
That's a shame. I thought that the game was amazing, the only criticism being the abrupt ending. It seems that a sequel will be the only way to get a resolution without further DLC.

It’s a very special game in many ways. Thing is it started off very bad and people were too quick to write it off. It goes to show the passion the developers had that ultimately fixed everything.

I was left a little underwhelmed with the ending. I honestly thought I’d missed something because there was a bug at the end also, so I had to keep playing a certain part over again.

taB

taB

Associate
This has taken over all my spare time in the past few weeks. My playing style resembles Roberto from Futurama in that I generally stab everything. My bow skills suck and need to work on that next. The dog is a massive help for clearing Cuman camps, etc. While I enjoy the sneaky side of things going toe to toe with a few enemies helps level up defense and maintenance skills!

Overall it's an excellent game.

Soldato
I tried this again, got to the part where I'm helping the guy hunt hares. That bow, dear Jesus it would have been easier just hitting the rabbit over the head with the thing. There isn't even a cross hair and it's wobbling all over the place.

Not for me, I'm afraid.

Soldato
I tried this again, got to the part where I'm helping the guy hunt hares. That bow, dear Jesus it would have been easier just hitting the rabbit over the head with the thing. There isn't even a cross hair and it's wobbling all over the place.

Not for me, I'm afraid.
The point is, archery is hard fo realz, so you need to practice.

Soldato
OP

Not for me, I'm afraid.
You know the quest and game goes on even if you don't manage to hunt anything, right

That said it blows my mind how bad some people are at this (no offense) :)

I played with a god damn Xbone controller on hardcore mode, and managed to bag 11 rabbits..I really didn't find it that hard to estimate where to aim, key is to make sure rabbit doesn't run away.

Back
Top Bottom