Kingdom Come: Deliverance / Open-World RPG / Medieval History

Soldato
I should really play it, I backed the kickstarter and got quite a fancy version of the game, haven't ever even opened the box.

I remember being really hyped for it but by the time the game came out my life had changed quite a bit and I wasn't gaming much at all. That's the thing about crowfunding projects I guess.

I really wasn't bothered , was never going to buy it. Got the base game free, and thought I'd give it a whirl.

One of the best gaming experiences I've had for over a decade; took me back to being a kid and the amazement of a new game. It really has soul like the games we used to play, where it's not just a cookie cutter experience and controls come naturally. It has flaws, but for me that's part of it.

For me it's very special, and I highly recommend you set aside some time to properly enjoy it.

Soldato
OP
I should really play it, I backed the kickstarter and got quite a fancy version of the game, haven't ever even opened the box.
Warhorse/Deep Silver actually released three different Collector's Editions. One in kickstarter, one in retail, and then another in retail with all the DLCs.

I own all three. And the gorgeous art book.

You should play it. Hardcore mode + open mind is the way to go.

Soldato
Warhorse/Deep Silver actually released three different Collector's Editions. One in kickstarter, one in retail, and then another in retail with all the DLCs.

I own all three. And the gorgeous art book.

You should play it. Hardcore mode + open mind is the way to go.
Let me guess, +open mind is a mod that has Henry walking around with half his skull missing, and all helmets are ultra rare :p

Soldato
Finally got round to this after being distracted by having to replay Metro Exodus Enhanced edition on the AW QD-OLED :cry:

Really getting into it so far, just doing the part where

I'm trying to find "Ginger" at the charcoal burners after the stud farm was raided.

As others have posted, the combat needs a bit of practice and does reflect that fact you (both as Henry and as a player) are a complete noob, but after a few fights I'm starting to get a much better feel for the flow and timing of blocks/parries etc.

Performance is absolutely fine on a 6800/3700x, I've been getting FPS in the 90s at 3440x1440 while running slightly underclocked/undervolted due to the heat.

Any suggestions on ReShade profiles for it? Going to give this one a go as it looks pretty nice: https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1283

Associate
I've re-installed this game maybe 4 times now. Everything looks good on paper, I should enjoy the damn game but I just don't! I don't know... if I were to try and put my finger on it, I would describe it as clunky? It's frustrating as hell as I normally love these types of games.

I'm sure I'll try again and it will eventually click.

Soldato
I've re-installed this game maybe 4 times now. Everything looks good on paper, I should enjoy the damn game but I just don't! I don't know... if I were to try and put my finger on it, I would describe it as clunky? It's frustrating as hell as I normally love these types of games.

I'm sure I'll try again and it will eventually click.

How far have you got? I tried it before (about a year ago) and didn't really get into it (like you say, it seems clunky), but after completing the intro section and getting to the first proper city after meeting the miller (I don't want to give too much away) it really starts to open up and draw me in

Soldato
I've got a gaming evening at long last, so thank you for reminding me about KCD! It was going to be Subnautica, but it's now likely to be a jaunt into the caddish DLC, which I've never actually done even though I've had the DLC for years.

Soldato
Subnautica or KCD is a good choice to have :)

Is the DLC for KCD worth getting? Does it add a lot or just a few side missions?
Also not Subzero! It was good and all, but not close to the original.

I'd get the DLCs yes, they're often in the sales. The one where you're Theresa is really very good, and the one where you're in a group of mercenaries is pretty good too. I'll try the one with Capon tonight and report back.

I'm not sure which other DLCs there were - is the one where you 'build' the village a DLC? That's fine, but I found it quite lacking in content and impact. Still enjoyable, but unlike most parts of KCD I found there was quite a bit I expected to be able to do in that that I couldn't; it felt artificially limited.

Soldato
OP
I'll try the one with Capon tonight and report back.
Just don't buy the potion. Quests for Charlatan are fun.
Is the DLC for KCD worth getting? Does it add a lot or just a few side missions?
They are fairly short but worth playing. Each is about something else. In one you rebuild a village and are its hejtman, in another you join a band of mercenaries and do some skirmishes and quests with them, and in one you help Hans find love (well, kind of..).
And the best one is Woman's Lot, it has two parts to it, in one you play Theresa and see events from her point of view, and in the other you play Henry and help Johanka - and this is possibly the best questline in the game.
Also, you get a dog, if you want it.

Soldato
Just don't buy the potion. Quests for Charlatan are fun.

They are fairly short but worth playing. Each is about something else. In one you rebuild a village and are its hejtman, in another you join a band of mercenaries and do some skirmishes and quests with them, and in one you help Hans find love (well, kind of..).
And the best one is Woman's Lot, it has two parts to it, in one you play Theresa and see events from her point of view, and in the other you play Henry and help Johanka - and this is possibly the best questline in the game.
Also, you get a dog, if you want it.
I think I've done the charlatan's work before, the starred side quests, or is this specifically tied to Capon?

The dog's a nice idea, but I've found it pretty poorly implemented; it gets physically between you and the people you're fighting (not trying to help you, just sits around panting), you end up therefore hitting it, and it runs away! The only way to prevent this I've found is to have already set the dog into attack mode, but that's not always possible.

Soldato
OP
I think I've done the charlatan's work before, the starred side quests, or is this specifically tied to Capon?
I think there are quests specifically in Hans Capon's DLC given by Charlatan you have to do to get the "magic potion" - or you can buy it, which is not recommended since those quests are fun.
The dog's a nice idea, but I've found it pretty poorly implemented; it gets physically between you and the people you're fighting (not trying to help you, just sits around panting), you end up therefore hitting it, and it runs away! The only way to prevent this I've found is to have already set the dog into attack mode, but that's not always possible.
TBH I never even took the dog with me, but I never take a dog with me in games since I prefer to be on my own.

Associate
This is defo worth persevering with, I was going to give up but it really does draw you in once you get past the intro and start meeting new characters.

Not playted this for quite a while so might download and jump on again.

Soldato
Excellent, I'll keep an eye on the sales :)

Yeah, I enjoyed below zero, but like you say, not a patch on the original

Didn't get to try out the Capon DLC afterall - after getting ambushed on my way and looting all their bodies, my PC went into a restart loop and now won't POST!

Finally got my PC up and running thanks to the forum folk's help (new mobo and CPU cooler needed) and still didn't make it to the DLC - got waylaid by exploration near Skalitz and some side quests that I'd never come across before in the monastery. Further testament to the immersion of this game.

Back
Top Bottom