Kingdom (Netflix)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
In a sea of z-rated zombie garbage this is actually quite good.

Surprised it was so good. Apparently it cost $1.78 mill per episode and was more than their budget allowance so they dropped it to 6 instead of the original 8 episodes. Netflix was willing to stick with them and season 2 is confirmed.

Quite clever with the twist in temp rather the sunlight. One frustrating thing was the massive cliffhanger!! No wonder it was instantly renewed

Soldato
Yeah production values seemed high for this one and certainly good to hear about season 2 because calling it a cliffhanger ending, is an understatement :D

Caporegime
I usually get annoyed by zombie TV shows, I tried to tolerate walking dead but the repeated trope of stupid people doing stupid things then slow moving zombies get them just got ridiculous, I'm glad this both avoids that nonsense and actually has rather scarier zombies too!

I love Game of Thrones and I loved the the film 13 Assassins. I think this would appeal to fans of either of those, I mean in addition to the zombies there are essentially the Korean equivalent of the Lannisters present too and plenty of uncertainty re: what some other players know, who can be trusted etc... I've not watched much Asian cinema and granted 13 Assassins is set in 1800s Edo period Japan rather than 1800s Joseon period Korea but it had a similar feel to it culturally perhaps in the same way that someone in Asian watching a medieval French film or TV series might also like to try a medieval British one if they liked that period/setting etc...

I'm glad you recommend it OP. Nice ending too, very keen to watch season 2.

Caporegime
Ah, just watched the trailer for that, I'll give it a watch but am slightly skeptical as that does look a bit more like the typical Zombie movie/TV stuff.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I fully get it though if people don't tag on, was a big build up with the zombies and left on the cliff hanger so season 2 is a must. Nice show overall and worth it if you can adapt to subtitles !

Soldato
Been watching this over the last few days and finished it last night. Absolutely brilliant.

I love Asian cinema horror stuffs and have been behind on watching content on NF for some time now. Kingdom's zombies are terrifying and I love it. I wish we found out who the mole was in the group. I just can't figure it out since all the characters are so well done.

Lmao @ the prison scene with the two guys separated by that wooden plank.

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw this recommended elsewhere so gave it a watch, brilliant.

What I like about it is its got a bit of a story to it and the characters are interesting, unlike most other "zombie" genres its all about just surviving, take Blacks Summer on Netflix, that was boring and slow and had zero plot to follow.

As others said the last episode did leave us on a huge cliff hanger, can't wait to watch the next series.

Also this feels like its gone under the radar a little which is a shame.

Picture looks stunning in 4k as well, can imagine the next series will be in HDR which I can imagine will look great.

Soldato
Been watching this over the last few days and finished it last night. Absolutely brilliant.

I love Asian cinema horror stuffs and have been behind on watching content on NF for some time now. Kingdom's zombies are terrifying and I love it. I wish we found out who the mole was in the group. I just can't figure it out since all the characters are so well done.

Lmao @ the prison scene with the two guys separated by that wooden plank.

The suspicion seems to be that soldier guy who is good with the rifle, but that seems too easy. I agree the characters are all brilliant.

As for Asian cinema, I'm going to check out that new movie on Netflix called The Wandering Earth.

Soldato
The suspicion seems to be that soldier guy who is good with the rifle, but that seems too easy. I agree the characters are all brilliant.

As for Asian cinema, I'm going to check out that new movie on Netflix called The Wandering Earth.
Yeah, very hard to say who it could be really.

I've got Wondering Earth on my list but tonight I'm going to rent Train to Busan (meant to be very similar to Kingdom), because I have a free rental offer on Google Play!

Associate
Asian cinema is incredible. Especially South Korean cinema. They really rival Hollywood. Would highly recommend:

The Man from Nowhere
The Chaser
I Saw the Devil (quite gory)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Lady Vengeance
The Yellow Sea
Old Boy
New World
Nameless Gangster
Train to Busan

Back
Top Bottom