Kitchen remodel project

Soldato
OP
Revised the layout and much happier with how it's looking.

Removing cabinets from under the front window means the existing radiator can just be replaced with something more pleasing on the eye; This then means no underfloor heating needed and funds to put towards worktops.

KitchenMockup_B1.jpg

KitchenMockup_B2.jpg

KitchenLayout_B.jpg

Washer/Dryer held within unit 2
Dishwasher in unit 5
Fridge/freezer in unit 9
iMac will sit above unit 12 (which would be covered by full depth worktop, same for 13)

Soldato
OP
Swapping 9 and 16 then just moves the oven/microwave further away instead, which also would mean no adjacent worktops to place hot items going in/out of the oven. Also not sure if oven can go in 9 as 10/11 are intended to be for food storage so unsure if heat from the oven would cause a problem.

Soldato
well, you've got all the functions jumbled up, like the fridge and cooker are at different ends of the kitchen, but the sink is close to the hob, then the biggest area of worktop (where the stools are) is as far away from the cooking area in the kitchen as possible.

I would have it so there is an end of the kitchen for cooking and the other with the sink, w/m etc and forget about having a useless place to sit that no one will ever use

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As I've already said it's not a breakfast bar, above unit 12 I'll be sticking my iMac which gets used buy the family for general things. Means my daughter can sit there and chat with us / check her school email whilst either I or the wife are prepping dinner.

We have a similar setup in the old dining room and it works well.

Soldato
OP
Time to bump this thread, the kitchen is finally finished!

We decided the revised layout (or similar) was what we were after so after visiting a lot of suppliers we ended up going with Wren of all places. The design was completely different to what we had in mind, a two tone handless gloss finish but we both really liked it as soon as we saw it.

We went with Wren for the following reasons:-
  1. Liked the style of kitchen (obviously)
  2. Units came pre-made and are good quality
  3. They are very local to us so any issues I could be on their doorstep in minutes (more on that later)
  4. Price, after a lot of negotiation (and I mean a LOT) they beat everyone on price for cabinets, worktops, and appliances (including DIY kitchens who were the runners up)
Had to wait a while for our own fitter but his team took care of the following:-
  • Removal of old kitchen
  • Knocking through to adjoining room
  • All electrics (inc. whole new consumer unit and running addition feeds across the house to the kitchen)
  • Full replaster (ceiling and walls)
  • Fitting kitchen cabinets/appliances
  • Tiling floor (which I supplied tiles from tops tiles)
  • Paint/decoratoring
  • Fitting the lighting I supplied
Things went pretty smoothly with the only real problems all being Wren related. A few damaged/incorrect doors needed replacing (and they messed up the replacements), issues with getting the quartz worktops/splash-backs measured and fitted which had a knock on affect with the rest of the schedule. However they have agreed to pay for the extra labour caused to the fitter/decorator.

Also wasn’t prepared for how much space the kitchen delivery would take up, 50+ boxes which managed to fill our lounge, dining room, part of the garage, and part of my daughters bedroom. We had a weekend without any kitchen facilities and having to squeeze through tiny walkways between boxes (it was stressful with two kids).

What did we end up with?
  • A two tone handless gloss kitchen (pale sky for the lower and full hight units, and white gloss for the wall units)
  • Pullout larder and corner unit system
  • White quartz worktops and full height splash backs all round
  • Integrated fridge/freezer
  • Integrated dishwasher
  • Induction hob
  • Large single over/grill (pyrolytic)
  • Combined second oven/microwave/grill
  • LED dimmerable ceiling spots
  • RGBW under cabinet lighting
The kitchen itself have been useable for a couple of weeks now in various forms and we are massively pleased with the layout, it works really well.

Anyway the some photos:-

Kitchen01.jpg

Kitchen02.jpg

Kitchen03.jpg

Kitchen04.jpg

Kitchen05.jpg

Kitchen06.jpg

Kitchen07.jpg

Kitchen08.jpg

Soldato
I think I would make the worktop in front of them stalls the same depth front to back as the rest of it otherwise I think they're going to look odd stood there and awkward to sit there.

Have you left somewhere for the bin or is that going in one of the cupboards?

Caporegime
Looks really good, very clean and modern. I bet it's a relief, having a new kitchen with two kids must be the most stressful thing I've ever experienced :p.

What are those stools / chairs? We're after some for our breakfast bar and really like John Lewis's Bellini chairs, but they're £275 a pop.

Back
Top Bottom