Kiwi's Squad Build / Refresh

Soldato
OP
So after getting the CPU sorted on Friday night I was straight back into it on Saturday morning. Max was not happy that I would be spending most of my day working on the PC instead of playing with him hah.

XDxhYSL.jpg

The GPU was next on a list. Another warranty voided :)

qIf94E4.jpg

One of the annoying things about these cards is the screws they use to hold the block down. It's like they are intentionally making it more difficult to dissemble the card.

7DNTzK6.jpg

Unfortunately for me my precision screwdriver set had seen better days so I had to drive down to the local computer shop to get a new set. With LA traffic this cost me the better part of 1.5 hours.

vN1nH0B.jpg

Another example of great thermal application. No wonder these cards run so hot.

UOw3IdZ.jpg

mRygJ7i.jpg

The card looks much better this way :)

glA9phH.jpg

Leak testing after cleaning out the case with compressed air. I highly recommend this method for those of you that struggle with dust. After putting everything back together I successfully installed windows and have been setting everything back up. It's been able 6 years since I've had to play around with a new bios so it's been a fun learning curve playing around with the settings.

With that said I'm happy with my temps at stock so far. Will post another update once I start clocking the GPU and CPU.

r8KzF61.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I had a bit of a play this morning and this chip is a keeper :) Does 5ghz with 300mhz AVX offset at 1.34 volts LLC5. Most importantly I have doubled my frames in Squad :)

aduSUeS.png

Soldato
OP
Well she is more or less done for now. I'm considering replacing the case - however the only case I would buy right now is Caselabs and they are expensive. Fortunitely they are based in California so I would be able to pick it up direct.

NECWhd7.jpg

Soldato
OP
Nice clock on the kaby, it's just a little cooler than my 4.4GHz 8 core too. I take it the boost in squad is mostly the new GPU.

You would think so right? Because it's an alpha it's actually very CPU limited. I used to get around 70fps using the 2600 @ 4.7 with the 1080ti. Now I get 120fps with the 5Ghz clock. I have also seen that memory makes a difference and the DDR4 @ 3200 is a big upgrade from my DDR2 @ 1600.

Soldato
You would think so right? Because it's an alpha it's actually very CPU limited. I used to get around 70fps using the 2600 @ 4.7 with the 1080ti. Now I get 120fps with the 5Ghz clock. I have also seen that memory makes a difference and the DDR4 @ 3200 is a big upgrade from my DDR2 @ 1600.

Is it highly threaded? (I'd be interested to see if my 4.4GHz CPU could best your 5GHz..) Memory wise I'm only at 3Ghz, but that's quad channel ;)

Soldato
OP
Is it highly threaded? (I'd be interested to see if my 4.4GHz CPU could best your 5GHz..) Memory wise I'm only at 3Ghz, but that's quad channel ;)

It is multi threaded but not as optimized as say BF1 - one of the reasons why I went for raw single threaded performance. Squad also does not really work with SLI. PS: Sorry I didn't make it on for Sunday - I was still benching at that point

Soldato
OP
Did some more shopping today as part of my quest for better airflow and control. I purchased the following:
  • Aquacomputer aquaero 5 LT USB fan-controller
  • Phobya temperature sensor G1/4 - silver nickel
  • Phobya extension 3Pin Molex ultra long 90cm - black
  • Extension 3Pin Molex 30cm - black
I also brought one of these which should push more cool air into the case.

lian-li-5-25-inch-intake-cooling-kit-model-bz-502-black-2_grande.jpeg

Soldato
OP
So it's been a while since I have done an update. Sadly that's because the case above was damaged in transit and I have had to get a new front panel made :( It appears that Caselabs don't hold stock of these parts so there is a 3 week turnaround to get it made.

nsl7BRH.jpg

While I have been waiting I have been slowly been buying parts for the new build and doing allot of research regarding similar builds to see what works best in terms of loop order. This will be my first hardline build so I've decided to get the rad, res/pump and fans into the case first to visually see what fittings I will need before ordering the fittings.

Loop Design
  • Hardline
  • Black and White using Bitspower Black Sparkle and Mayhems White Pastel
  • Fans and Pump will be controlled using temp and flow sensors via Aquero 5 LT
Parts Ordered
  • Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3 1900 RPM X 8
  • EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Top)
  • EK-CoolStream XE 360 (Front)
  • Bitspower Dual / Single D5 Top Upgrade Kit 250 (Black POM Cap)
  • Alphacool VPP655-PWM - Single Edition
  • Bitspower D5 MOD TOP (Black "S" Model)
  • Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit V2 - Black Sparkle Finish
  • Singularity Computers Ethereal Single V3 Reservoir Mounts - Black X 2
Remaining Parts
  • Bitspower Hardline Black Sparkle Compression Fittings
  • Various Bitspower Black Sparkle fittings (90's, 45's, extensions etc)
  • 1 X Bitspower Flow Sensor
  • 1 X Bitspower In Line Temp Sensor
  • Lots of Hardline tubing
  • Aquacomputer SPLITTY9 X 2
I was originally planning to mount the pump to the bottom of the case like the below:

E07vXTJ.jpg

But then another user put me onto Singularity Single V3 Reservoir Mounts which will end up looking similar to the below build:

EE52Moe.jpg

The idea is that instead of having to buy the bracket and drill I can bolt the Res/Pump combo directly to the 360 in the front making it one unit.

Next weekend I'm planning to test fit everything so will post pics when I have another update :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lots of stuff has arrived recently leaving only the fittings left to buy once I test fit everything.

sfvFQ6v.jpg

Really happy with the black sparkle mod kit, res and top. I also splashed out on a Alphacool VPP655-PWM which should perform well combined with the Aquaero 5 LT

N7eba9Z.jpg

I also invested in some Mayhems Blitz for the rads and a threaded rivet insert kit so I can attach the splitty and aquero to the back of the case like this:

krpEGSV.jpg

6z07ljF.jpg

I'll post anther update on the weekend once I get everything into the case :)

Soldato
OP
^ you see it's the small details that make builds stand out. Nice use of the riveting tool by the way :)

Thanks - definitely nerve racking drilling into a case this expensive! I still need to do the SPLITTY once it arrives which will complete the riveting and hopefully give a nice and clean look

Soldato
OP
Managed to get both rads and the pump into the case today :) It must be said, working with the SM8 is so incredibly easy. Caselabs have literally thought of everything.

34rKNyI.jpg

Note - The Singularity V3 Mounts were really east to install and are very high quality. Using them I also have avoided having to drill into the case or use a separate mount for the bottom.

6I5Tu4F.jpg

o50KCcD.jpg

QfzW0kp.jpg

Max decided to photo bomb the last pic! With the rads in I had a much better idea of the fittings I needed and have now ordered he following parts:

Aquacomputer SPLITTY9 x1
Bitspower Premium Male G1/4" Black Sparkle Aqua-Pipe I Fitting x1
Bitspower Black Sparkle Enhance Rotary 90-Degree Multi-Link Adapter x9
Bitspower Color O-Ring Set For Multi-Link Adapter 10PCS x2
Bitspower G 1/4" Black Sparkle Dual Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter x2
Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Enhance Multi-Link For Acrylic Tube OD 12MM x3
Bitspower Black Sparkle Enhance Rotary 45-Degree Multi-Link Adapter x4
Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle TII- Rotary Adapter x3
Bitspower Mini-Valve - Black Sparkle x2
Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle IG1/4" Extender x5
Bitspower BP-BSWP-C60 G1/4" Black Sparkle IG1/4" Extender - 15mm x3
Bitspower BP-BSWP-C73 Black Sparkle Dual IG1/4" Extender - 25MM x2