Knife Thread

Soldato
I've had a set of Henckels Pro S knives for a couple years now, not overly fancy and are still great with being used every day - chef's knife sharpens up a treat with a few swipes on the steel every now and then and I don't exactly baby them other than usual precautions i.e. no granite/glass chopping boards :)p), wash and dry fully before stashing away in the knife block etc.

Not exactly a major revelation as they are known for being decent but just my 2 cents :p

*edit*

Haha just realised this is an old thread and I posted in March '12 that I was waiting to get into the set :D

Last edited:
Don
You won't be disappointed!

Edit: Just occurred to me to say that I'd recommend stick a bit of masking tape around the knife where the frame clamps it as it gives it a bit of friction to stop slipping and also protects the knife from scratching.

first impression is that is has sharpened them a little but not very much at all tbh

I have watched some videos and think I am doing it right, one video did suggest getting better stones though, which do you use?

Oh and what **** put the printing with the grades of the stones on the cutting surface :p

Associate
first impression is that is has sharpened them a little but not very much at all tbh

I have watched some videos and think I am doing it right, one video did suggest getting better stones though, which do you use?

Oh and what **** put the printing with the grades of the stones on the cutting surface :p

I'm still using the stones that came with it. Takes a little time though. I normally do it in front of the TV and keep sharpening until I can shave the hairs off my arm.

Permabanned
Bought my mother the large Global chefs knife years ago for a Christmas present after reading about them on here.

Roll on about 8 years later. My mother went and bought the whole set from Costco, as did my sister.

I inherited the orignal knife and admittedly it's the only decent knife i have as I move around a lot into rental's but it has served me well.

As far as I'm concerned, you only need one good large knife. It does everything.

Soldato
Can you sharpen ceramic knives with a set of slipstones as per steel knives? I don't have ceramic knives, just a question that popped into my head...

I use the Kyocera ceramic knife sharpener. It is electric and spins a diamond disc at high speed whilst you pull the knife through the guide slowly. I don't see why you couldn't use a stone but it may take quite a while as the ceramic is nuch harder (more wear resistant) than metal so takes longer to sharpen.

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place or I should start a new thread - but I'm wondering what is best to sharpen my Henckel knives with?

At the moment I've got a cheap eBay diamond steel that used to work well but seems to have 'worn out' and a Taylor's eye witness Chantry which doesn't seem to work well.

I'm unsure whether to splash out on a new/better diamond steel or look at something else?

Man of Honour
A steel doesn't sharpen your knife - it just keeps the edge. If you want to sharpen it look at something like a Lansky set or if you have a lot of time and are willing to learn a new skill, a whetstone (or three).

Soldato
So do you think it would be worthwhile to pick something like the Edge Pro clone that Jolteh posted above, AND replace the steel or should the steel still suffice once they've been sharper? Do the diamond coated ones wear out as such?

Man of Honour
So do you think it would be worthwhile to pick something like the Edge Pro clone that Jolteh posted above, AND replace the steel or should the steel still suffice once they've been sharper? Do the diamond coated ones wear out as such?

Jolteh's suggestions are usually good so though I haven't used that exact sharpening system I imagine it's fine :)

I would've thought that your steel is probably okay to continue using but maybe wait for someone else's comment on that.

Associate
So we decided to get ourselves a nice pair of knives for the house and ended with these.

lpe440fl.jpg.png JBb7UYvl.jpg.png
(Sorry for the poor camera phone image)

Yaxell Gou set
Still in the box at the moment.

Soldato
Edge pro copy is here, just need to practice using it now!

mevbF3-X3SVe7UHC4jd8_A1WA1E5Yskgs12izkRuJCw=w995-h560-no

Soldato
I bought a set of Henckels 4 star professional knives yesterday from their Bicester village store. I nearly bought a couple of Miyabi's instead but the set was such a good price (discounted to £149) I couldn't say now. The set came with a chef, paring, utility and bread knife. Plus the steel and a pair of scissors.

http://www.zwilling.co.uk/en/artikeldetails-mediabox/items/2628,35066-000-0.html

If you want a Miyabi, they are very cheap in that shop.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick question about whetstones... Whenever I try to sharpen a dull blade the stones I have allow me to go (in grit) 800 > 2000 > 5000. Now, my understanding is that the lower (coarser) grit should take more steel off the edge? But when I work up in grit I see more steel particles, with the 5000 stone leaving the highest residue on the stone. Why is this? I don't press hard... I'm really only polishing when using the 5000 stone.

Edit: don't know if this is relevant but none of the knives I'm using will be particularly good. I deliberately kept some old ones so I could practice. If it's soft steel will the finer grit have more of an effect?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom