Knife Thread

Associate
I've got a couple of globals and keep them sharp with the minosharp but feel they arent quite as sharp as they used to be.

I'm wondering if it's worth sending them off to be sharpened professionally once a year or so. Does this sound like a good idea - if so any recommendations for sharpening co's?

Man of Honour
Well they are incredibly sharp still but we have seen some surface rust on one, but I fear my wife put it in the dishwasher and I am not convinced that was wise. I cleaned it up and seems fine, but seem to remain sharp and have the little sharpener in the stand.

Associate
I've got a couple of globals and keep them sharp with the minosharp but feel they arent quite as sharp as they used to be.

I'm wondering if it's worth sending them off to be sharpened professionally once a year or so. Does this sound like a good idea - if so any recommendations for sharpening co's?

I'd buy something better than the minosharp, I use a Ke-198 electric sharpener on my globals and it keeps them very sharp.

I used to have a minosharp and didn't think much of it, difficult to clean the metal residue off the wheels and not very good at sharpening.

Soldato
Was in Tesco at the weekend, and was making use of my 20% discount picked up a couple of Richardson Sheffield Sabatier knives, did a quick review check and they look like a good introduction to good knives for our new place.

Associate
Man of Honour
OP
A Dremel, no you shouldn't use a dremel, that would be a nightmare to try and get an even grind.
Either wet stones or the Lansky 3 set knife sharpening kit.

Associate
Hi guys, I have a pair of Chroma 301 knives, to sharpen them, can I just use my dremel? Or should I use a proper stone? Any recommendations?

I really wouldn't, it will be far too aggressive and difficult. Just one slip and you'd completely ruin the edge, and even if you did manage to grind it at the correct angle, it would be a very rough edge.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Can anyone recommend me a good wooden chopping board? I want something really solid and that won't warp (although I suspect this is more to do with how you take care of it!). Was looking at this: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15591/Lak...9870!&ef_id=VSV9LQAABSMFaIRi:20150928001256:s

Also, how do you clean it? i'm guessing you don't haul the whole thing over to the sink every time it needs a wash..?

You can get the same board (or at least almost identical) from Ikea for £7 less http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00180162/. I got a big square version of the one in the link (they don't seem to do the bigger one now) 5 years ago and it is perfectly fine - no warping. Should last a lifetime.

It's not that heavy you can't carry it to the sink to clean it properly. Once a year, I give it a rub with sandpaper and apply more oil.

Soldato
Well they are incredibly sharp still but we have seen some surface rust on one, but I fear my wife put it in the dishwasher and I am not convinced that was wise. I cleaned it up and seems fine, but seem to remain sharp and have the little sharpener in the stand.

To be honest ours goes in the dishwasher every time, apart from a slight fade to the black handles never had any problems, had one around 2 years now and coming up to 12 months with the other chef knife.

Thinking about getting the carving set next.

Associate
You can get the same board (or at least almost identical) from Ikea for £7 less http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00180162/. I got a big square version of the one in the link (they don't seem to do the bigger one now) 5 years ago and it is perfectly fine - no warping. Should last a lifetime.

It's not that heavy you can't carry it to the sink to clean it properly. Once a year, I give it a rub with sandpaper and apply more oil.

Nice one, thanks! :) Really does look identical actually!

Soldato
I have never used a Santoku knife and thinking of christmas presents tempted to ask for some decent knives..

I would like to try one as having briefly played with one in a shop today it felt very different in the hand- is there a decent one I could pick up around £10-20 before I decide on what knives I want to get next?

Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on Victoronix knives? Looking for a nice entry point into the world of good knives as we're moving into a new place! Any other recommendations?

Used them for 20 years now. Day in day out. Butchering and fishmongering. A 12 inch steak knife will last me about 12-18 months (at work I may add) before its a tooth pick. A 6 inch boning knife will last a bit longer depending on if I am using it for meat or fish.

Most butchers/fishmongers will recommend Vic knives. I will be getting a few for the home soon. I would imagine for a the average person using a Vic for home use it would last a fair few years if not a life time if looked after properly. Make sure you get a whet stone and a smooth steal (not a coarse one) a coarse steal is used for the home to sharpen/give edge to blades that have not been stoned first.

Soldato
I am quite sad to say that my two Global knives have really disappointed me. My wife bought them for me as a gift a few years ago. The paring knife has a nick in the blade near the point, and the Santoku has a crack in the middle. For the cost, I'm really not impressed with the quality.

So, with that said, I'm looking for a new Santoku as a Christmas gift this year. I am very interested in the Masakage Shimo Santoku. Does anyone have any counter-suggestions to this blade? I like the Santoku for it's all-round use. My Global Santoku gets used for everything in the kitchen.

Associate
I am quite sad to say that my two Global knives have really disappointed me. My wife bought them for me as a gift a few years ago. The paring knife has a nick in the blade near the point, and the Santoku has a crack in the middle. For the cost, I'm really not impressed with the quality.

So, with that said, I'm looking for a new Santoku as a Christmas gift this year. I am very interested in the Masakage Shimo Santoku. Does anyone have any counter-suggestions to this blade? I like the Santoku for it's all-round use. My Global Santoku gets used for everything in the kitchen.

If genuine then I really don't think a global should crack for no reason, had it been dropped or regularly put in the dishwasher?

Soldato
If genuine then I really don't think a global should crack for no reason, had it been dropped or regularly put in the dishwasher?

Hi Ganesh

The knives haven't been dropped, although I would be lying if I said that they hadn't occasionally been through the dishwasher. We don't put them through the dishwasher anymore, and stopped a good while ago. Now they're washed under running water, I don't even leave them in water in the sink. And we only put them on the top rack in the dishwasher, away from everything else. I really wouldn't expect the steel to break the way that it has though. The blade edge seems to be rather brittle. The crack is about an inch long, and curves into the blade. It's rather odd. I'll see if I can take a picture tonight.

As I say, I'm really not impressed. Aside from it going through the dishwasher on the odd occasion, I've been really careful with them and treated them well. I just can't see how it's happened. There must be a weakness in the blade :(

Back
Top Bottom