Knife Thread

Permabanned
lol. there's nothing soft about european steel, German knives are comparatively heavy most of the time, but thats just preference on what you like
VG 10 is a very common knife steel used globaly.

When I say soft I mean in service I was having to steel my European knifes a lot more than I had to with the Japanese knifes.

I am now using a Misono UX10 and I do not need to steel this one at all in service...

Man of Honour
OP
When I say soft I mean in service I was having to steel my European knifes a lot more than I had to with the Japanese knifes.

I am now using a Misono UX10 and I do not need to steel this one at all in service...

which is also wrong, what knife did you have with what steel and which rockwell hardness.

they are no softer if you get comparable stuff. if you get vg10 steel around 62 rockwell hardness then you wont be steeling very often.
where the misono is only 58-60 rockwell so isn't even the hardest you can get. You don't find many above about 62 gets harder to sharpen and generaly gets more brittle, so more chance of chipping if you drop it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
which is also wrong, what knife did you have with what steel and which rockwell hardness.

they are no softer if you get comparable stuff. if you get vg10 steel around 62 rockwell hardness then you wont be steeling very often.
where the misono is only 58-60 rockwell so isn't even the hardest you can get. You don't find many above about 62 gets harder to sharpen and generaly gets more brittle, so more chance of chipping if you drop it.

Not wrong a fact, we get to try a lot of knifes in the restaurant and the head chef (2 stars) would not touch a German knife, he uses UX10's that he paid for...

Soldato

You don't appear to know exactly which knife you are using... post some pics and we can work it out for you.

Permabanned
very much wrong, know what you are looking for and you wouldn't have wasted so much money.

So what do you use?

It is not just about the steel, you have the geometry, edge angle as well as the balance point to consider, the belly on German chef knifes is just silly....

But I suppose ignorance in your case is bliss...

Man of Honour
OP
So what do you use?

It is not just about the steel, you have the geometry, edge angle as well as the balance point to consider, the belly on German chef knifes is just silly....

But I suppose ignorance in your case is bliss...

lol, says the person who had no clue about steel or rockwell.

the bolster hasn't got anything to do with what you have said. The geometry also has nothing to do with country of origin, there's European and German companies offering basically every grind, there's even companies offering Japanese style knifes. That's before we even get into your fallacy of Appeal to Improper Authority, he might be a 2 star chef, doesn't mean he knows anything about knifes other than what he likes and doesn't like.

if you want some idea, i'm currently reading
Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others who Heat Treat and Forge Steel
John D. Verhoeven Emeritus Professor Iowa State University

if you hadn't guessed by the op, i'm somewhat interested in knifes.

and what knife you actually use as a Misono UX10 is very much European, Swedish steel with a 70/30 geometry. and again 59/60 rockwell, so not even particularly hard. Also with a European style handle and front bolster. so all this about geometry and stuff makes ou look even more silly, its made in japan everything else about it is a traditional European style knife.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
So what knife do you use?

LOL "Misono UX10 is very much European" now your really just making yourself look stupid...

lol, now try reading the rest of the sentence, why does it matter what i use?
if you really want to know, a cheap sabatier style knife as i had to move back into shared housing and everything gets destroyed, doesn't change the fact everything you have said is just rubbish.

Associate
...That's before we even get into your fallacy of Appeal to Improper Authority, he might be a 2 star chef, doesn't mean he knows anything about knifes other than what he likes and doesn't like...

Do you really google different types of fallacies to help you keyboard warrior better on overclockers? :rolleyes:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Right chaps, let's get this thread back on topic, it's not GD and the discussion up until now has been great.

Any recommendations for sharpeners in London? I have a quite an Andoer sharpener but I'd rather pay a pro to do a better job and not ruin my knives.

Permabanned
Last edited:
Permabanned
lol, now try reading the rest of the sentence, why does it matter what i use?
if you really want to know, a cheap sabatier style knife as i had to move back into shared housing and everything gets destroyed, doesn't change the fact everything you have said is just rubbish.

Sorry to hear about the shared housing, I hope things turn around for you.

Freanch K Sabatier's are great knifes, good choice.

Soldato
My New Edition
10zborn.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good but cheap family knife set that everyone can use ?

have good knives for my own use.

Permabanned
I quite fancy a Chinese chef's knife, spec me please knife people? Something in the sweet spot of quality v price.

Do you mean Japanese?

If so the Fujiwara FKM is a good starter knife, look at a 210mm Gyuto for a good general purpose chef's knife.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html

If you can push the budget more, the Misono 440 series are very good, again look at a 210mm Gyuto for a good general purpose chef's knife

http://japanesechefsknife.com/440Series.html

The fit and finish on the Misono will be better and as both are stainless they are easy to maintain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom