Knife Thread

Soldato
Finally sorted after a little back and forth.

New set of Classic knives (some with half bolster as requested) appeared today:

3eb4gmuh.jpg

After an investigation by Head Office, they conceded that the rivets had been over-tightened causing the handles to crack. Brand new set after 11 years of use...not bad!

That's fantastic, well done you and well done Wusthof

Soldato
Has anyone tried the super cheap ebay whetstones? The Ice Bear 10k whetstone is around £70, but there are 10k stones on ebay for like £11... I'm guessing it's a case of you get what you pay for and these stones are probably not as fine as they claim, but thought i'd ask to see if anyones tried one.

Soldato
You can get a king 1k/6k for £35, they're great quality and unless you plan on shaving with your knives even 6k isn't really needed. The cheap ones on ebay are usually tiny (1"x4") which makes them very difficult to use, even if they are the advertised courseness.

Associate
Currently using for most things, a Robert Welch Signature 14cm Santoku knife, I'm looking to add another to the set and thinking about a chef's knife for the rocking motion they offer, is a 14cm still a good size? I see most are much bigger

Soldato
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japanese...Sharpening-Plate-by-tyzacktools/401211588607?

Anyone tried an Atoma diamond sharpening plate? It'll be mainly be for flattening the backs of chisels and sharpening them, but thought i'd ask here as most people use them for knives.

I have whetstones, but underestimated how easy it is to wear them down. Even using the entire stone it was still dishing the centre slightly. So I think a decent diamond stone is in order to get things flat, then use the whetstones for honing.

I looked at Trend and DMT and both have some awful reviews among the good reviews. Things like the electroplating that holds the diamonds just peeling off :eek:.

Associate
Currently using for most things, a Robert Welch Signature 14cm Santoku knife, I'm looking to add another to the set and thinking about a chef's knife for the rocking motion they offer, is a 14cm still a good size? I see most are much bigger

I use a New West Knifeworks 17cm Santoku for 95% of the time. It depends what feels comfortable in your hands, if it works for you then that is all that matters.

Soldato
I use a New West Knifeworks 17cm Santoku for 95% of the time. It depends what feels comfortable in your hands, if it works for you then that is all that matters.
I use a 20cm cooks/chefs knife for 95% of the time but I think I'd get along perfectly fine with a smaller knife.

As indianwells says, go with what's comfortable.

Caporegime
Bought two 'Bearmoo' (!) whetstones from Amazon so I have 400, 1000, 3000, and 8000 grit surfaces.

I'm sure my technique could do with some refining (I watched some videos on YouTube), but what a difference these have made to my old knives.

My new Wusthofs are now close to razor sharp too. Debating a strop now...

Soldato
I'm looking for a new set of knives for the kitchen as my current ones are blunt as anything. I would like to get some fairly good ones that will last, are the Robert Welsh ones any good? They appear in quite a few reviews
I was thinking this set - https://www.robertwelch.com/kitchen.../signature-knife-block-set-with-sharpener.htm
Not sure I'd bother with a set as a lot of those will do the same job for you. You may be different but I use a chefs knife for nearly everything, then I have a bread knife, paring knife and carving knife.

You may find it ends up costing you similar to just buying a set for your preferences in which case go for it.

My Dad (not a pro chef by any means but likes a quality feeling knife) uses the robert welch knives and seems happy with them. I prefer a chuckier handle personally so I'd go and have a feel of them in person before deciding on investing.

Sgarrista
Commissario

Have a few RW knifes now, I love how they feel in my hand, even if they arnt as upmarket as others, the feel is just spot on and thats the most important thing.

Soldato
I would 100% suggest not buying that set of knives unless you're paying about £50 max.

- First of all they look like 420HC steel. It's quite a soft steel that won't hold an edge very long (Rockwell 56).
- The handles look really slick/uncomfortable. But then I can't stand Global either for this reason.
- The included sharpener will suck.
- You get a weird selection of knives.
  • 8cm Paring Knife - This is fine, although it's only an 8cm/2.5" blade so of limited use (3-3.5" is generally more useful).
  • 12cm serrated utility knife - Otherwise known as a tomato knife, good for slicing soft fruit and veg but a bread knife does the same job.
  • 14cm kitchen knife - Otherwise known a petty knife, assuming it's sharp it would do everything the previous two knives would do.
  • 14cm Chefs knife - Too small for a chef's knife, 21cm or 24cm are the most common and most useful sizes.
  • Bread Knife - Fair enough, it's a bread knife.
  • 23cm carving knife - Mostly a single-use knife, again doesn't really do anything a similarly sized chefs knife wouldn't whilst being less versatile.
If you're looking to spend £300 I would suggest getting a very good chefs knife (21 or 24cm Zwilling Miyabi, Shun or any number of high end brands), a petty (12cm) or paring knife (9cm), a steel and maybe a filleting or boning knife if you are going to be breaking down fish/chicken etc.

If you just want a good set of knives you can get a lot better for less (Wusthof, Zwilling, Victorinox all do better sets for £150).

Soldato
Soldato
https://uk.zwilling-shop.com/Kitche...lock-ash-wood-7-pcs-Zwilling-36133-000-0.html

£175 at the moment, knives will be as good/slightly better than the RW (low/mid range for Zwilling) and the block sharpens the knives each time they're removed, which is great if you don't want to worry about maintenance.

Personally I would still look at getting a single, good chefs knife then getting additional knives to suit your needs. Pretty much any set you buy there are going to be knives you don't need or aren't suited to you.

Something like this: https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-miyabi-4000fc-gyutoh-chef-s-knife-24-cm-33951-241.htm or this https://www.hocho-knife.com/tojiro-dp-cobalt-alloy-3-layers-chef-knife-gyuto-210mm/

Soldato
https://uk.zwilling-shop.com/Kitche...lock-ash-wood-7-pcs-Zwilling-36133-000-0.html

£175 at the moment, knives will be as good/slightly better than the RW (low/mid range for Zwilling) and the block sharpens the knives each time they're removed, which is great if you don't want to worry about maintenance.

These look good but the 30% code doesnt work unfortunately.
How about sets from Wusthof?

https://www.millyskitchenstore.co.u...MIrZCw0b695QIVQ7TtCh1CqwyXEAQYCiABEgKR5_D_BwE

Back
Top Bottom